Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Thoughts on the Jaguar XJ6 1987? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/thoughts-jaguar-xj6-1987-a-204780/)

chrisleg 07-11-2018 06:19 PM

Thoughts on the Jaguar XJ6 1987?

Hello all

New to jaguar but have been doing a lot of reading as I have been looking for an XJR.

IN my adventure to find one, i keep bumping into some amazing condition XJ6's. And at similar of lower prices to the XJR's.

I am slowly leaning to them as my first jaguar. Mainly to use as a 3 day a week driver. I have a couple of reputable garages in my area that work on Jaguars. So don't feel to worried about working on them.

Thought and experiences would be greatly helpful and appreciated.

Chris

These cars are so beautiful!

Jose 07-11-2018 07:25 PM

Hi,

a 1987 is the last year of the Series 3 body style XJ-6.

in 1988, in the USA, the XJ-40 made its debut. Unofficially known as the Series 4.

However, the Series 3 body style was continued until 1992 but only with the 12 cylinder engine.

Also, everybody calls the XJ-40 an XJ-6 too, so it gets really confusing.

The production chart below shows the REAL model badge names, the Series, the dates when they are introduced, and amount of cars made from 1968 to 2000.

the Series 3 XJ-6 is the last of the "analog" Jaguars, the XJ-40 was the first "digital" Jaguar and from then on, all hell broke loose. I like mine analog.

Good luck!

Jose 07-11-2018 07:26 PM

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...d2adf439bf.jpg

Doug 07-11-2018 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by chrisleg (Post 1927859)

Chris

\
The Series IIIs are wonderful cars, the most modern of all antique automobiles. Built like a tank and drive like velvet. But they're all getting pretty old so expect to spend some money getting things sorted out

There's a buyers guide in one of the sticky threads at the top of this section. I'd read that and then come back if you have questions

Cheers
DD

chrisleg 07-11-2018 08:57 PM

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...4ffe2a2bcb.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f1125115f6.jpg
Thank you @Jose. Much appreciated on the Info.

@Doug. He has looked after it. From what i gather it was his late fathers and imported from the UK for him. He has changed the gas tanks, tires, regular check ups and oil changes. He has some service records also.

Have attached a couple of images.

What is the gas consumption on this model? Is it a full on monster guzzler??

Doug 07-11-2018 10:03 PM

I drove a Series III XJ6, daily, for many years. Expect about 12-14 mpg city driving and 17-20 highway. Might squeeze a bit more out on the highway of you are extra gentle and cruise at 60 mph.

Cheers
DD

XJDanny 07-12-2018 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by chrisleg (Post 1927859)
New to jaguar but have been doing a lot of reading as I have been looking for an XJR.

IN my adventure to find one, i keep bumping into some amazing condition XJ6's. And at similar of lower prices to the XJR's.

I am slowly leaning to them as my first jaguar. Mainly to use as a 3 day a week driver. I have a couple of reputable garages in my area that work on Jaguars. So don't feel to worried about working on them.

Chris

Hi Chris,
I was like you in that I was looking at X308 XJR’s and Series III’s. I wanted to drive whatever I got a couple days a week. I decided on an ‘02 XJR because I thought it was more fun to drive on a semi-regular basis. At the time (and I still feel the same) I thought the X308 and Series III were the most beautiful sedans ever made. The Series III may actually squeak out the title over the X308 in my opinion. But for drivability, you can’t beat a supercharged X308. They drive like a luxury sports car, are super fast, but tame at the same time. My ‘02 has been extremely reliable in the almost four years I’ve had it. If you do get one, an ‘03 is the best and the last year. I can explain why if you want to know.

So so my vote would be an ‘03 XJR. But my real vote would be to get both cars and have the best of both worlds!

Jose 07-12-2018 09:39 AM

Chris, you welcome. that car looks wonderful. Is the steering wheel on the wrong side ? or is it Left Hand Drive? It has Dayton wire wheels, a very nice and expensive addition, the original "KENT" wheels were so ugly. (some like the KENT wheels). Elinor and I hate them, maybe the owner of that car hated them too.
Put it on a lift and check the exhaust system. Right under the driver's side floor there is a "Y" exhaust pipe that has a secondary catalityc converter which transfers heat to the driver's side floor. You can replace it with the European "Y" pipe that does not have the converter and problem solved. The car will pass inspections without it fine, just drive it for at least 90 minutes before taking it to inspection.

pjprofili 07-12-2018 12:59 PM

Yeah that's not a UK spec car. Outer headlamps, big bumpers are other giveaways.

chrisleg 07-12-2018 06:15 PM

Hi Guys

So i took the bullet and got myself the XJ6. Drove amazingly. Original owner (my mistake), 71k on the clock, extensive service records, only driven 3 days a week max. It is absolutely mint. The seller was an older gent who is a scientist. Before i arrived he had his mechanic look over it, as they work on Euro cars. Most its needs is a break pad change.

The FM radio stopped working but everything else either works or has been upgraded. He also changed the fuel tanks, ac cooling system and a couple of other things.

He spent his money on his baby but has another daily and is moving back to Utah.

The mechanic has a long history of his car and what they have done to it and what also needs doing.

Anyway. My wife and I instantly fell in love. Drives like the queen and sounds like an english actor. I was surprised it even had the complementary Tape that jaguar gave to its buyers. Complete with original green books and price tag.

Unicorns do exist. Said my wife.

Now just need to get that radio working!

Thank you all for all the help. Its been very much appreciated.

I guess I will continue on the correct forum for this no?

Jose 07-12-2018 06:49 PM

Congrats! the radio is no big deal but removing it / replacing it is sort of a pain....

Download the Factory Service Manual and the Parts Book here in the StickyXJ6 & XJ12 'HOW TO' quick links and start studying it. (pdf format). Follow the step-by-step instructions for whatever needs done.

the radio could be as simple as one of the fuses, there are 3 fuses for the radio, normally located behind the "right knee Vent panel" on the driver's side, and normally labeled as "Radio Fuse 3 amp or 2 amp". So check those fuses before you remove the radio. the XJ-6 came with excellent sound quality radios, high fidelity sound.

These cars are not that difficult to service, if you are handy and have patience, you can fix many things yourself.

I think you got a great example of the XJ-6. Protect it and preserve it. Sooner or later these cars will go up in value, they are already classified as "Classic".

Yes, this forum is for the Series 1, 2, and 3 XJ-6, the original XJ-6 with the 4.2 litre XK inline 6 engine. The XJ-40 came with a 4.0 litre engine.

LnrB 07-12-2018 07:12 PM

So you got it! Congratulations!
And you've both fallen in love with it.
I'm so shocked. NOT!!

May you all love happily ever after.
(';')

Jose 07-12-2018 07:58 PM

here's some tips and how to understand the Trip Computer in the Series 3 XJ-6.

Jaguar XJ6 SIII trip computer details

Fuel consumption: In the city stop and go, don't expect much, just enjoy it. In the interstate I get around 545 miles out of the two tanks by changing tanks every 20 miles, (sort of like they do in airplanes), in trips from Orlando Florida to Nasville Tennessee, before I have to refill. That's driving on cruise doing 70-75-80 mph with a/c ON. Not bad in my opinion. Could be worse.

Compared to my carburetted 1965 S type which only gets 300 miles out of its two tanks, can't complain about the XJ-6. But the S type is a lot more fun to drive, old Jaguar and a lot of exhaust noise. The sweet spot comes on at 81 mph, when the engine and exhaust become sort of silent. What a trip!

In the XJ-6 I also replaced the paper Air Filter with a K & N air filter which helps the mileage somewhat and also adds a little pep when accelerating hard. Once you install a K & N air filter you never have to replace it. Worth the expense.

Enjoy!

XJDanny 07-12-2018 10:13 PM

Beautiful car! Congratulations!

moronthethrottle 07-13-2018 09:47 AM

Congrats! Definitely a looker.

Hold on to that mechanics' number. Finding reliable first hand help for these can be challenging.

Settle in here and learn the ways of the Cat!

pjprofili 07-13-2018 10:29 AM

Got a few more pictures, Chris? Interior? I'm sure we'd all love to see more. Sounds like you got a good one there - mine had a similar pampered history when I bought it (also an '87 and with 65K on the clock - originally owned by the conductor for the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra) but that was 20 years ago (has it been that long?!). I'm jealous!

JagCad 07-13-2018 10:36 AM

Great choice. Each way., Cat got loving staff. Staff got an appreciative and fun cat.

Oh, the K& N. Long lived, for sure, But need service from time to time. Don't ask!!!

Start gathering literature, the more the better. Driver's manual, mai8ntenance manual. And, the S57 Jaguar electrical schematic. The best I've seen. Not hard to read. And, basic knowledge of sparks as well. It alone taught me a lot

Carl

JagCad 07-13-2018 10:44 AM

A bit more.

My dear departed was enthralled by "her Jaguar" !! Although German born, she was enthralled with things English. Princess Diana was her heroine,

So much so that when we went to the dealer to negotiate a sale, she could not maintain the poker face I asked of her !!! I'm a good negotiator, but it cost me about 500 as I recall!!

Oh well, a happy wife was easily worth that and tons more. Happy wife, happy life works!!!

Carl

chrisleg 07-13-2018 12:11 PM

@jagcad my wife is the logical practical one. But as soon as she saw the car i think that went out of the window. We are both in an industry where looks and beauty matter so its hard for her to stay practical hahah

Thank you all for the kind words and helpful advice! I am sure i will be asking more questions and bothering many of you soon. APOLOGIES in advance!

We took her out yesterday for a ride around the mountains. Was lovely weather and the night was begging for a look at the jag.

I actually got all the original manuals and service manuals with the car. He was very organised. The Euro mechanic he used to take it to will be my regular place too, as he knows the car, history and the previous owner. Better to keep things in the family!

I will grab some more pics and post later. Unfortunately work related tasks get in the way of playing :)

Thank you all and speak later!

JagCad 07-13-2018 12:53 PM

Yeah, that make a living thing!!!

Although I've been retired for quite a spell, it seems not. Other stuff than Jaguar to deal with!!!

Carl