Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Trading a Talon for a XJ6..Deal or no Deal? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/trading-talon-xj6-deal-no-deal-1438/)

04-24-2007 10:06 PM

Trading a Talon for a XJ6..Deal or no Deal?

I have a 1992 Eagle Talon TSI..Mitsubishi 2.0l turbo, 5 speed couple mods, sun burned paint, almost 200,000 miles and a bad ecu and a bad tranny. Im hoping to trade for a 1981 Jag xj6 that needs rust repair, and only has 100,000 miles and suposedly uses no oil. What do you people think.. Deal or no deal... im leaning indefinaatly towards the jag! Also wheres a good place to find body panels, body kits, performance parts at a decent price?Thanks brian:D:)[8D];)[&:]

bigdreams05 04-25-2007 03:17 PM

RE: Trading a Talon for a XJ6..Deal or no Deal?

If you plan to rice the Jag out, don't get it as there is little to do to it! As for the deal, I wouldn't get a car that uses no oil, as the engine will blow in a heart beat...but if you meant that it doesn't burn any oil, then it's a very good deal because it sounds like the Talon is on it's last leg. I would think twice about it though because whoever is trading with you has some loose screws in the noggin!

04-25-2007 11:03 PM

heres my replie...I DO NOT PLAN TO "RICE" IT OUT!! Maybe restore and drive sure. and if i dont trade im gonna work on the talon...heres the thing, the only reeson i joined and posted on this forum is to see if anybody might want to strike up a conversation about jags and their performance...but so far i guess anybody else out there that owns a jag is just a snob that looks down on somebody that owns a car like a talon...i am a mechanic and have built some very nice cars and restored some others. I KNOW a jag no matter how old it is is a better choice, obviously! What I meant buy "USE OIL" is burn oil...smoke....blow by....you know.."THE BLUE SMOKE". So now im interested to see if i get another response or not... ok if youll excuse me ive got to go "RICE OUT" my boss's Bently.........[:@]

93xj6 04-26-2007 12:23 AM

Dude man chill out.
We're all friends on this forum allrite man.

He was just saying don't buy an xj6 and expect it to be a street racing car or something.

I would be worried about buying a car that has rust, because it's hard to clean that up, and it may just come back depending on where u live.

I don't know if I would buy a really old jag tho, beacuse the car will need alot of maintance initially probably, and pre ford jags are hard to get parts for and any jag is hard to maintain.

And when big dream said you won't be able to rice it out, he probably meant there are no performance parts or body kits for xj6s, especially not a 81.

bigdreams05 04-26-2007 12:33 AM

Man, I have an old and beat down 240sx that isn't even painted and the people that own jags on this forum aren't snobs, just that you took my response the wrong way. If you happen to find any body kits for the XJ6, it would look really ricey! The car has a classic look, not a sporty look. As for performance parts, you might want to try Arden, but they come at a pretty hefty price and don't add too much horsepower. I knew that you meant the car doesn't burn oil btw, I was just pulling your leg. Loosen up man, and wait a little while longer as most people come on about once a week. I'll move this to the XJ6 Section, as I'm sure it would get more interest there!

Jose 04-26-2007 02:08 PM

yes, by all means get an XJ-6 or 12 and join the Snobs Club! (just kiddin') But get rid of that Talon as soon as you can. Now don't expect tire-screeching performance from the XJ, these cars are cruisers, for high-speed stability and great handling in difficult cornering. for example, a Mustang 5.0 will fly like a rocket at a red-light in a straight line, but I can catch up to him (or her) in the corners and I'll pass him (or her), (I say "her" because there's a redhead in a 5.0 around here that thinks she's invincible and it seems that everytime I take my XJ-6 out for a warm up she suddenly appears in my rear view mirror making a lot of noise with that car). So there's your difference, a Mustang will start to slide in the corner when the the XJ-6 sticks like contact cement on the outside of the corner. There's your Jaguar Independent Rear Suspension in action. Rust? why get a rusty one? you can find great unrusted examples in the SouthWest, West, and South. Don't buy a Northern or North Eastern car, they are ususally rotted from salt, and repairing rotted rocker panels is no fun or cheap. The 4.2 engine is very reliable and tough, rarely burns oil, use only 20W50 Castrol oil.

if you want to see what it really takes to replace rotted rocker panels in the XJ body, check this guy in Finland, "Fiboy". he also modified the front bodywork, that car is incredible. check his other Jags!
here's his website: http://jaguar.fiboy.com/XJ12C.htm

Good luck!

bigdreams05 04-26-2007 04:31 PM

Nice find Jose! That XJ12 looks amazing! That dude must have spend a shit load o money!

Jose 04-26-2007 06:03 PM

don't you just love that guy's work? he does all the work himself, he's an engineer.

04-26-2007 11:17 PM

Well, i know you guys arent really...snobs...most of the time, and my plan for the car was just a second car to and from work type of deal...no body kits..just fix the rust and new paint...but..im really disapointed... the guy decided not to trade...smart guy huh. Well thanks for your comments. and everything and sorry for flying off the broom handle......not alot of sleep lately, sick kids. Thanks

Jose 04-27-2007 03:16 AM

Brian, this Series 3, 1985 XJ-6 (4.2 liter engine), might be coming up for sale in a while, it's in Orlando, Florida. The transmission went knocking on heaven's door, the owner had it rebuilt for $1,200. and he's not happy. I know the owners, it's the wife's car, she doesn't drive it much. No rust! it's a "choice" car.

The tranny in these cars is a Borg Warner 66, 3-speed automatic. If you're a mechanic, you're a step ahead already, you can adapt a GM T400 tranny easily. Or, I know where you can get another BW 66 for $350.00. Sell the Talon for as much as you can get, and don't burn the money yet. I'm guessing you'll need about $4 thousand to get this car, (I'm guessing, don't hold me to it, it could be less), the car is nice, just look at it, and it doesn't smoke or burn oil, I know a bit about the car. Mine is one year older, a 1984. The car will get you back home. Safe car when you have kids, they're heavy metal, all 3,400 lbs. of it. Easy to maintain; What you need to know is that 1983, 1984, and 1985 XJ-6 were the best years for these cars, thanks to a man called John Egan, who took over Jaguar Quality Control and he started firing all the suppliers who were delivering bad quality parts. He left in 1985 for Aston Martin and then quality went down again at Jaguar for the 1987 model year, the last year of the Series 3 XJ-6. In 1988 the XJ-40 came out, with a lot of problems due to the digital dash, and self-leveling rear suspension. So get some sleep and save the dough! Jose

[IMG]local://upfiles/1235/E9509321A0B144FC8A1F29C839E57842.jpg[/IMG]