Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   tranny swap (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/tranny-swap-119803/)

82jaguarxj6 06-13-2014 02:26 PM

tranny swap

My 82 xj6 has a pretty bad fluid leak, and the 3 speed isn't all that great to begin with. So the question is what transmissions can I swap in there? A 700r4 would be really nice. Would like to stay automatic. Would I have to make an adapter plate? Want to keep the original motor in this one. It's my only ride I haven't done a motor swap too

Calhale 06-13-2014 02:47 PM

Check with the crew at BrokenKitty -- John's Cars - Broken Kitty

I think the 700r4 requires some gearing changes to the rear-end to get the ratio's right.

Jagfixer 06-13-2014 06:49 PM

Where is the leak? If the tailshaft seal, just pull driveshaft and install a new seal. If oil pan reseal. Check modulator, has an o-ring seal that is replaceable. Front seal, do your swap, but will take longer or replace seal.

82jaguarxj6 06-14-2014 01:18 AM

Might just replace the seals. Wheres a good place to get them?

Grant Francis 06-14-2014 05:21 AM

Any Trans shop should have them.

You got a BW66, and memory (hshs) has the seals form BW35 thru as the same.

OR, check the suppliers on here in you market.

JagCad 06-14-2014 10:02 AM

Setting $'s aside, if the BW has to come out to reseal it, seems the time to install the 700r using Johns kit. His term "quarter breed". OD is a neat thing. some say the 2.88 Jag ratio and the .70 Od is more than the 4.2 can handle. That includes John. Others say not so much. On the flats, it would do just fine, I think. On hills, so it drops down. Not all that bad. And, if the seals on the BW are leaky, how are the bands and clutch disks??? Preemptive fix or just swap it.

My 83 with 2.88 and OD auto fare quite well. Oh, I forgot, my lump pulls another 100 HP or so and a ton more torque!!

Shipwright. If one swaps in a 700, why not the rest....

Carl

82jaguarxj6 06-14-2014 10:37 AM

Shipwright. If one swaps in a 700, why not the rest....

Carl[/QUOTE]
I'm a jag purist I guess. I think Some cars are meant to stay original. And the straight 6 4.2 xk engine puts out ample power. It's not my racecar, its my cruiser and I drive it like one. With 115xxx miles on the engine, there is nothing wrong with it. Sure if it ever blows I would do an lsx swap, but hopefully that won't be for awhile

JagCad 06-14-2014 11:23 AM

82:

I sure respect that. And, that isn't high mileage. Only horrendous thought is that it might be head gasket time. And, although not easy, certainly doable.

So, in that case, I'd not only reseal it, but install install a soft kit, ie new bands and haps clutch disk. Good for at least another 100k. The BW's are old tech, but very tough.

My car isn't a racer. Just great mileage and eats the miles while loafing in OD. Taking the 100 pound load off my front springs restored factory ride height. Although, I did like the slight forward rake!!

But, I do espouse "to each his own".

Well, to a point, I have issues when some butcher decent cars for whatever reason.
In my case it was either.... or Jaguar heaven. Odd, that the yard is not far from where my car suffered it's calamity???

I did like it a lot as a 4.2!!

Carl

Mad Matt 06-15-2014 04:58 AM

I have thought about a tranny swap to 4 speed auto, with the old three speed she revs a 3 grand and 110kph I would have thought that extra gear would reduce the revs and inprove fuel use. I am wrong? Have to say thou Lady J will be keep orginal. Maybe the next project might be a modified.

JagCad 06-16-2014 12:14 PM

Mad:

Nope, right on.

My old 69 Toyota FJ40 Land Cruiser "cruised" at 60 mph with it's old 6 at 2750.
rear ratio not known.

Now, my 83 Jaguar with OD and LT1 loafs at at less than 2K RPM at 70mph.

In my opinion, the Jaguar's 2.88 was an effort to make up for no OD!!

Carl