Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Transmission mount questions, 1987 XJ6 Series III. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/transmission-mount-questions-1987-xj6-series-iii-129830/)

1100me 10-27-2014 02:11 PM

Transmission mount questions, 1987 XJ6 Series III.

Transmission now clunking P to R, R to D, D to R, etc.

Just inspected the trans mount (still in the car).

The foam(?)orange bush just crumbles easily.......no sign of the rubber cups at the spring ends......rubber end mounts seem fine. Push up on the center bolt real easy about 3/8" travel. This corresponds to 3/8" of the center bolt bottom spacer being clearly visible below the center bushing.

So will "replace" the rubber cups and the spring...but I understand that the original foam Jaguar bushing should be replaced with a poly type one.

Any suggestions on where the get the poly bush and the other parts....with a view to best quality?

There is a complete kit, inc rubber mounting blocks, here.....

Jaguar Transmission Mount Rebuild Kit XJ6 74 87 | eBay

Anyone used this kit?

Also, looks like exhaust will have to be disconnected and moved down and to the left side...yes/no...any work-around?

Thanks,

Rob.
2006 X Type Sport Wagon,
1987 XJ6 Daily driver.
1994 XJS 6.0 Convertible.

Darrenmb 10-28-2014 09:21 PM

found this mod, its for an xjs, Haven really looked at mine, but i am sure something similar could be achieved if its not exactly alike..
Replacing and Upgrading the Transmission Mount

1100me 10-28-2014 10:13 PM

Thanks Darren,

I'd seen that mod earlier.....all the jags of this era seem to have some variation of the spring and bush mish-mash....seems a good thing to do, but I'm limited at the moment at what I can do....so I'm going with a totally original set up at the moment, I think I'll try the original replacement Jag foam bush and see how it feels when set up per factory spec.

Rob.

Doug 10-28-2014 10:23 PM

How are the Black rubber blocks?

Anyhow, on your XJ6 there's metal 'tongue' that extends under the trans pan. When you're all done the tongue should be parallel with the bottom of the pan. If not you've assembled it wrong or didn't replace enough parts.

The Jag trans mounts are a monument to needless over-complication.

Cheers
DD

Jose 10-29-2014 12:55 AM

man, that mod is way too involved, just stick with the factory design.

JagCad 10-31-2014 09:41 AM

I'd figure out a simpler method!!! Way too complex for unknown reasoning.

A simple hard rubber block would work just fine. That is what my lump has !!

Carl

Doug 10-31-2014 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1091156)
I'd figure out a simpler method!!! Way too complex for unknown reasoning.

A simple hard rubber block would work just fine. That is what my lump has !!

Amen.

Some of the car most renowned luxury cars---- the grand American luxury yachts like Imperial, Buick, Lincoln, etc. ----- did perfectly well with just a plain ol' block of rubber under the transmission. And I can assure you that driveline vibrations and noises were never allowed into the cabin.

Cheers
DD