Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Transmission Problem, Help! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/transmission-problem-help-3857/)

lovethemcars 01-13-2008 09:01 PM

Transmission Problem, Help!

I recently bought a 1984 XJ6 with an automatic transmission, but when I took it out for a test drive my transmission crapped out. I was doing a 3-point turn and tried to put the car in reverse, but it would go, I was moving the shifter but I couldnt here the gears catch. It then would not move out of park. When I finally got it to go forward after so jerking around I noticed that one rear tire wasnt moving when the gas was on! The past owner told me it had a problem with the linkage, I am reasonably mechanically competent, but I fear this is beyond my skill to repair. Any advice on what the problem might be or how much it will cost to fix would be awesome!

Sam

[IMG]local://upfiles/2881/36C20620F536428684B8F5C531ADD90F.jpg[/IMG]

ballardrd 01-15-2008 07:55 PM

RE: Transmission Problem, Help!

I'm not a mechanic, only a 1998 XJ8 owner who recently went through a $3,000nightmare of transmission repairs. The Jag transmission is considered by Jaguar as a "lubricated for life" tranny. Thats why you can't even check the transmission fluid level (well, at least in my model). On top of this, Jaguar uses a very special synthetic fluid worth about $100 a quart (my tranny took 10 quarts!). I feel your pain, Bro. All I can say is that, at least I had a Jag-certified mechanic who did the work for about $3,000, as apposed to our local Jaguar dealership who wanted to charge me over $6,000. Best wishes and, caviat emptor, my friend.

Ron - Tucson, AZ.

w1ngs 01-19-2008 11:50 AM

RE: Transmission Problem, Help!

The first thing I would check is your transmission fluid; check the level with the car in park while at operating temperature on level ground. See that the fluid is a clean pink-red in color and doesn't smell like burned brakes.

The shift linkage on this transmission (if it's a borg warner like my 83) is not that hard to adjust. I don't recall the exact details but some here should be able to elaborate on the subject. There should simply be a set of jam nuts on the end of the shift cable which calibrate its position relative to the detented shift arm in the transmission.

The procedure should be straight forward. I'd remove the end of the shift cable attachment from the side of the transmission, put the shifter all the way into park, ensure that the transmission itself is also shifted into park, and then adjust the cable so that its end slides back on without trouble. (I'm sure there are other methods outlined elsewhere.)

If when you shift the transmission it feels like the notches align with the letters on the shifter, the cable is not out of alignment.