Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Turn indicators work but dash light does not (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/turn-indicators-work-but-dash-light-does-not-190337/)

iramphal 10-08-2017 12:10 PM

Turn indicators work but dash light does not

Hope all my Canadian friends are enjoying their Thanksgiving weekend.
Turning on the indicator (RH) - both outside indicators blink (i can hear the click/click), but the RH green dash light just flashes once and no more. It's repeatable every time.
Selecting LH does the same, outsides work but this time the green LH light does not even flash once.
Hazards work and the Hazard bulb (red) flashes as it should.

Any thoughts? - Also, where is the flasher unit?
Ian

Doug 10-08-2017 12:12 PM

I've this happen on two Series III cars. In both cases it was the flasher relay.....located in the LH component panel under the dashboard

Cheers
DD

doghead08 10-08-2017 02:59 PM

I think relay is green. Mine does same thing. But mine blink longer when lights are on...go figure

doghead08 10-08-2017 03:10 PM

I’m probably wrong on the color. But when u find it clean the connection first...a little sanding away of some grime works wonders

Jose 10-08-2017 06:19 PM

the turn signal and hazard flasher is at the right corner of the driver's side, to the left of the main fuse box.

I have that problem with my left turn signal only, the green arrow indicator in the tachometer flashes once and stops, the right side indicator in the speedometer doesn't do it.

I think it is the stalk switch inner contacts, because I have replaced the flasher 2 times and it keeps doing it. My next check is to replace the stalk switch to see it it stops.

Dutch-Cat 10-10-2017 10:46 AM

I have exactly the same problem.
First no internal flasher indicator light worked, now the left one (in the RPM gauge) works every time. The right one (in the speedometer) sometimes works, sometimes doesn't.

Will have a look at the indicator relay sometime...as long as the flashers on the outside work, it has no real priority to me at the moment...

Jose 10-10-2017 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the flasher relay. Black, not green. cover is easily removable and you can wonder what the heck is all that in there.

xjfourty 10-10-2017 05:40 PM

does this job requires to take down the dash ?
sorry for my ignorance.

Jose 10-10-2017 05:56 PM

yes, because the car was built around the flasher relay!! :icon_laugh:

just kidding!

you have to remove the trim piece on the corner of the dash, then remove the screws for the bottom panel.

If you follow the steps on the Service Manual, it's fairly easy.

download al 13 Sections of the Service Manual here, in the HOW TO at the top of the page.

iramphal 10-11-2017 07:33 AM

Jose,
Where exactly is the Section 13 of the Service Manual to which you refer? I don't see a How to section anywhere?

Jose 10-11-2017 08:33 AM

when you get to the main page of the XJ-6 Series 1, 2, and 3, and before replying to any thread, there is "Sticky XJ6 & XJ12 'HOW TO' quick links" at the top of the thread list. (right now it is exactly above this thread).

click on that to open the page and scroll to almost the bottom until you see the Service Manual links to download them. They are in .PDF format, download each one, one at a time, there are 13 sections or "documents". If you want the "Electrical", then download that section of the Service Manual.

Jose 10-11-2017 08:46 AM

Do not mess with the wiring of the Turn signals / Emergency Flashers circuit.

There is a wiring ERROR in the Service Manual Schematic that has never been corrected by Jaguar. If you replace the Emergency flasher SWITCH, be sure to remove and replace one wire at a time in the new switch. Otherwise you will never get them working again.

This issue has been discussed for years since the mid 1990's. The mistake is found in the large foldout that came with the Owner's Handbook in the glovebox of the car.

I have the drawings of the incorrect and the correct wiring that someone drew years ago if anybody needs them, also there is a writeup about the error.

iramphal 10-11-2017 09:18 AM

Many thanks Jose. I will begin the adventure!

Jose 10-11-2017 09:47 AM

I still think the problem is in the turn signals stalk switch, though Doug says in his experience it has been the flasher Relay, I have replaced my flasher three times and it still does it, and only in the left turn signal indicator, (the green arrow in the tachometer gauge).

I even went as far as replacing the diode in the wiring harness that connects to the tachometer, but no luck, same thing.

everything works outside in the car, all lights blink, but the left, green arrow indicator stops blinking after one or two blinks. and I thought it was only my car, but obviously this is happening to other cars, there must be a solution. If it is the flasher relay, then I have 3 bad ones.

iramphal 10-11-2017 09:59 AM

If the flasher is openable - as it seems to be, it should just be a poor contact - I would think. If the flasher sends relatively high amperage to the external flashers, those contacts will tend to burn off and contamination. But, the 3 watt bulbs on the dash will pull so little amperage, that any contact contamination could foul them up.

That being said, Jose would have to have 3 defective new ones - as he indicated.

If there is a separate wire from the stalk to the dash light, then either it has it's own flasher, or it must be routed thru the main flasher.

I wonder whats running thru the stalk?

Jose 10-11-2017 01:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the flasher has a set of points, and I have inspected them, found no oxidation or burned contacts.

as to the wiring from the stalk switch to the indicator lights, I assume there is some connection or intersection but I don't know.

What is running thru the stalk Turn Signals switch? A number of functions: The Headlights flasher function, the Headlights High Beams on-off function, the Turn Signals function, the Cruise Control SET button function.

Both stalk switches have brass contacts inside, they get worn and flattened with wear and tear.

the attached pdf file is an old Newsletter from the Music City Jag Club (Nashville, TN), it shows how to rebuild the Wipers Switch which is almost identical in construction to the Turn signals switch, obviously the functions are different in the Turn signals switch, but otherwise the same principles inside, i.e., brass contacts, which is what I suspect happens with the Turn Signals switch. I already rebuilt my wipers switch following these instructions, now I will have to open up the Turn Signals switch and see what is going on, because to end up with three bad flasher relays, is too extreme.

LnrB 10-11-2017 08:47 PM

I think Nix has been reading threads late at night when I wasn't watching.
Naughty Girl!!

Yesterday I noticed the Right indicator in the Speedo didn't light when I was signaling a lane change. Today it worked sometimes, didn't work other times. Left worked every time.

When it doesn't work there is also no clicking sound of the flasher as it should be. Wiggling the stalk does nothing.

I'm thinking how timely this thread is, for me anyway, and what a Great place this is, to have repairs/diagnoses at the ready.

I'll be changing the flasher over the weekend, just in time for the next Jag club trip.

Thanx, Guys!!
(';')

Jose 10-12-2017 03:28 AM

Elinor it does sound as your culprit is the flasher relay since it stops clicking. Remove the cover and look at the points to see if they are oxydized or burnt.

now I am wondering if the Hella flasher Relay has in inherent problem.

LnrB 10-12-2017 09:28 AM

Really, Jose, after 41 years I suppose it's not surprising it should take a hike!
(';')

Jose 10-12-2017 09:36 AM

not fair, the Flasher Relay in my 1965 S type still works fine. Marked and Dated: "Lucas May 1964"

which reminds me, The Beatles arrived in August 1964? 90 days after that flasher was made.