Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   V12 mileage... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/v12-mileage-65042/)

rowland 12-16-2011 03:02 PM

V12 mileage...

I'm hoping to become an XJ12 owner soon... carb model S1 or S2

I would be interested to hear what kind of mileage people
have got out of their 5.3 V12s before needing major surgery....

How long can a well cared for V12 last?

Thanks, rowland

Doug 12-16-2011 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by rowland (Post 441668)
How long can a well cared for V12 last?

Thanks, rowland

Almost forever...if it's never been run hot. 150k miles should be no problem at all. 200k with TLC. I've heard of 300k V12 that are still purring.

If it's been run hot....well, hard to say.

Most don't get above 150k or so because of other problems with the car....or because the car has been relegated to just summer use.

Cheers
DD

Grant Francis 12-17-2011 02:36 AM

As Doug said.

Our S2 XJ12 EFI is just on 502000kms, and had a very neglected life before the wife "stole it" back in 1994, and apart from "standard" engine bay issues to be sorted, the engine is untouched. the thing leaks oil (tappet blocks), will NEVER get fixed, a bit of tappet noise, oh well, starts on demand, and stops on demand, no surprises, and she drives it anywhere, at anytime with no thought to the kms travelled or the fact its a 1976 Jag V12.

The BW12 became a 2 speed many years ago, so a s/h unit was fitted, and still works sweet.

If you are a mechanically minded person, and prepared to do near all the maintenence it will require, you will enjoy it for many years to come. If a mechanic is required, you will be very poor, very quickly. Sorry to sound negative, but facts is facts.

rowland 12-17-2011 03:11 AM

thanks, i qualified as a motor vehicle technician in the 1980s and although i have worked in healthcare for the last 20 years i still do most of my own car maintenance.... i am kind of looking forward to a V12 challenge.... i think! :)

Grant Francis 12-17-2011 05:00 AM

Hell yeh.

I love the V12 engine, it is soooooo strong and forgiving, especially the PreHE versions. They LUV the fuel but what the heck.

Common sense will be your saviour with anything you do. The ability to "think and look outside the square" is mandatory. Many, many things you will need to, or want to, do, are NOT Jagaur specific, but some are obviously.

The good old "catch up maintenence" is going to be a challenge, but with it right back to basics and spec, the rest is so simple.

One thing to remember, YOU WILL NEVER BE BORED AGAIN.

rowland 12-17-2011 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by Grant Francis (Post 441851)
YOU WILL NEVER BE BORED AGAIN.

ain't that the truth

especially with four kids and three dogs already... boredom is never an option!