Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Is it weird? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/weird-216955/)

zdmz 04-26-2019 11:36 PM

Is it weird?

Is it weird to work on your car at a car show? I am headed out to my first car show with the new car and it is also the first long distance run ( about 90 miles each way).
I replaced the driver door rubber molding today and will not have time to do the other door before heading to the show. The car is quieter now but the passenger side needs to be done.
I've been to several car show with different cars but don't recall anyone working on their cars other than cleaning them.
I don't mind being kind of an oddball but don't want to over do it.

Rivguy 04-27-2019 01:50 AM

Kind of weird, but it would probably serve as a great conversation starter.

pdupler 04-27-2019 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by zdmz (Post 2061430)
Is it weird to work on your car at a car show? I am headed out to my first car show with the new car and it is also the first long distance run ( about 90 miles each way).
I replaced the driver door rubber molding today and will not have time to do the other door before heading to the show. The car is quieter now but the passenger side needs to be done.
I've been to several car show with different cars but don't recall anyone working on their cars other than cleaning them.
I don't mind being kind of an oddball but don't want to over do it.

I've been to enough car shows to see and do all sorts of things. But usually its because something broke on the way to the show. I replaced a fuel pump at an event once and a clutch slave cylinder at another if that makes you feel any better about it. ;)

Yellow series3 04-27-2019 07:47 AM

I think it is a great idea. Like show and tell. Kids get to see what it is all about and people can ask questions.

While we are on the topic, I definitely don't like to see the hoods open. Usually it is to show off a bunch of chrome parts they bolted on. It totally destroys the beautiful lines of the car. Our favorite part of a car show is to get there when the cars are first arriving so you can see and hear them running.

Tomorrow is the first car show of the season. Every year there is a guy that brings his Jaguar 420 that he is DIY restoring. It is like an annual progress report. And I will pick up the calendar with all this year's car shows listed. Love it.

LnrB 04-27-2019 09:44 AM

I'm obviously in the minority here (nothing new about that), but I personally would prefer not work on my car at a show or have the hood up either unless something broke. In the case of something that doesn't show, like door rubber, I would take a pair of 33db earplugs that I wear for work and show the car as-is.

Being a mere woman daring to tread in such a male-dominated venue (nothing new about that either), there would be ample criticism for not getting it done on time and it would count against me, even if I wore my very best Jagalicious outfit for the occasion.

Women are held to a higher standard. We have to be twice as good as a man to be worth half as much.
Usually, this is not difficult.
(';')

Rivguy 04-27-2019 09:47 AM

Okay, I have to ask, "What is a Jagalicious outfit? Sounds intriguing!

Yellow series3 04-27-2019 11:07 AM

Yes. And photos please.

JagCad 04-27-2019 11:59 AM

1. I f I did go to a car show and wanted to work on my car, I'd do it!!!

2. The Jagalicious outfit would look great on Elinor, not so much on RIV!!

3. The Fred & Ginger analogy!! She made every step Fred did, backwards and on heels...

Carl

JagCad 04-27-2019 12:00 PM

{popst script:

Phptos for sure...

Jose 04-27-2019 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by LnrB (Post 2061575)
Women are held to a higher standard.

I agree, I know at least 2 women mechanics to whom I would trust my cars. They are without any doubt, on a higher level.

LnrB 04-27-2019 02:35 PM

I have to wonder how many Men would be offended if asked to post pictures of yourselves to an International Forum such as this?

On the other hand, how many women would do it if asked?
This is one of husband's favorites.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5c94578cf5.jpg
And, I Wouldn't be working on my car dressed like this!
(';')

Jose 04-27-2019 04:14 PM

me I'm too sexy for my hair

Yellow series3 04-27-2019 04:17 PM

Sparkly Jaguar. Great to put a face with the name!

zdmz 04-27-2019 10:26 PM

Well, the car show was pretty fun. The drive to the show went without a hitch and it was nice to go that far to get a really good feel for the car. It is very comfortable and drives nice. Also nice to drive it for sustained speeds to build confidence in it.
The show was held in a small town and the cars were lined up down the main street in town. I was thinking it would be at a park so I did not do any work on the car. Didn't really want to lay in the street to work on it.
I got to the show pretty late so ended up way out on the edge of things, not as much traffic out there but got a lot of nice comments about the car.
One guy asked if it is a kit car with a pinto engine. I told him it is a kit car but has a vw engine in back. 😊

I received no awards and won a medium t-shirt in the raffle. Too bad I'm a large.

It was a good day.

zdmz 04-27-2019 10:29 PM

Forgot to add that I definitely did not wear a dress.

JagCad 04-28-2019 11:43 AM

Yup!!

Jagalicious !!!!

Somewhere I saw a video or picture. A gal 'dressed" to the 9's. White scarf about her head. Driving a newer XK 120. Top down, of course. Oh, steam from the bonnet.
Milady not distressed. Popped the bonnet. Fan belt departed!!! Still composed . Removed a nylon. Wrapped it and tied it off. Remounted and away she went!!!

Did we not have Dierdre here at one time demonstrating her skills on a V12!!!

And, for sure, LnrB's talewnt is legendary...

Carl