XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wet AED

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 10:12 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Wet AED

Hi all, I’m getting very poor mileage on my series 2, I think the carbys are HIF and it has the automatic enrichment device still fitted. I can visiable see fuel weeping from the device once the car is up to temp and there is always a strong smell of gas. I was wanting to see if blocking off the device all together would fix the problem. Simple as clamping a bolt into the inlet tube? This will cut the supply. Anything else to do?
cheers
Scotty.

Old 11-05-2017, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,424 Likes on 1,937 Posts

These devices go back decades to the 60s, and a favourite trick of the time was to install a switch so the thing could be turned off before the thermostat did the job, It saved on fuel a bit. Of course you can still buy these things, and kits to put in new seals too.

AED Gasket Kit - SU Carburetters

AED Repair Kit - SU Carburetters

A.E.D Unit - SU Carburetters

Old 11-13-2017, 10:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last weekend I totally removed the AED, blocked all of the ports. She was a bit hard to start but with a few minutes of feathering the gas pedal she warmed up and ran well. I adjusted the carbs, they were set extremely lean, I guess to compensate for the extra fuel from the AED. It responded well to the adjustments, once warm she started perfectly, ran way better than before and it’s gone from 11mpg to 20mpg. Happy boy! At some stage I’ll convert to the manual conversion.

Old 11-13-2017, 02:44 PM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

My series 2 had it removed and replaced with a manual choke......very old fashioned but very effective.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 8,933 Likes on 5,284 Posts

Nix is the First carbureted engine I ever had upon which I didn't (yet) need to ditch the automatic choke and mount a cable somewhere.

They either don't engage, or won't disengage. The biggest problem is figuring out where to hide the cable end.
(';')