Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   What do you guys think of the 1988 XJ6? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/what-do-you-guys-think-1988-xj6-2383/)

Brewtech 08-23-2007 12:00 AM

What do you guys think of the 1988 XJ6?

I'm trading my car for a 1988 XJ6 with a rebuilt motor that has 60k miles on it. It's a really well kept Silver Blue car with black leather interior. I want to know (even though it is an XJ6 Forum) if the 88 is a good car for a Jag beginner. I come from Porsche, VW, and BMW cars so its kind of odd for me. I like the car a lot, but I'm afraid of falling to the horror stories and backing out. Any things I should look out for? Oh yeah The AC works but the blower motor is stuck in low. It sin=mply wont change speeds when a higher speed is selected. Any Clues?

Jose 08-23-2007 08:33 AM

RE: What do you guys think of the 1988 XJ6?

welcome.

here's some info: the 1988 is the first year for the XJ-40 in the US. (also known as the Series 4 XJ). It is the first of the "digital" Jaguars. Prior to the XJ-40, all Jaguar are "analog", very little in the way of electronic "chips" and "modules".

1987 was the last year for the analog Series 3 XJ in the US. Though the XJ-40 is popularlyreferred to as "XJ-6", themodel is officially XJ-40, not XJ-6. The Series 3 XJ body style keptbeing produced forEurope and Canada until 1992 but onlywith the 12 cylinder engine. The 1988 XJ-40 has twin headlamps on each side but the 1989 hasa sealed plastic cover over the lamps. The plastic turns yellow with time...

The 1988has a few issues that Iknow of, specifically the rear, "self-leveling" suspension. But by now most 1988 have been converted to normal shocks, (there is a kit available to resolve the problem), but if not, looking at the car from the rear, you would see the rear tiresspread forming an "A", that means the self-leveling has failed. The a/c blower problem is also typical, to repair it you need to replace the so-called "Darlinton" transistor, located in the passenger side blower-case. It is not a big deal, nor expensive, just tedious work, and fun to do-it-yourself. There are people who have re-designed the circuit board where this transistor lives.

If you find a 1988 in really great condition, buy it. It is the last of the real Jaguars,because Ford bought the company in 1989 and from then on it's basically a reliability disaster as you can read in the forums.Now Ford is "selling" the Jaguar Cars company and everybody is celebrating!

Also,the car will beless expensive to repairthan Porsche, VW, and BMW, if not more reliable.Parts are available, lots of parts suppliers, and the knowledge-base is great, lots of support online. Personally, I think the 1988 has passed the test of time. For example, the 1989 model is a different car in many ways.

here's a link to the A/C system (Delanair MK-III) used in the XJ-40, and XJ-S.
scroll down to the "1987-on..." part of the article.

http://www.jag-lovers.com/books/xj-s/14-Aircon.html

here's a link to the Production Figures for all XJ Saloons from 1968 thru 2000.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/m_8239/tm.htm

I hope I didn't put you to sleep!
Jose

ken@britishparts.com 08-23-2007 11:33 AM

Things to look for:

1.Suspension: ball joints, upper control arm bushings, wheel bearings front and rear, shocks and/or shock bushing
2. Power steering rack leaks
3. Listen for noise from the diff
4. Check all four door handles!

Mechanically, these are solid cars!

Brewtech 08-23-2007 03:19 PM

Thanks Jose and Ken! I really do feel better now that I'm a bit familiar with the car. I think I will end up gettin it.

Brewtech 08-31-2007 03:28 PM

Well I'm happy to say that I dumped the XJ40 and picked an 87' British Green XJ6.

Jose 08-31-2007 04:10 PM

Welcome to the 'family' of Series 3 XJ-6 owners.

Mine is a 1984, otherwise identical to the 1987, the last year for that body-stylein the US market. (they kept making it until 1992 for the Canada, Australia, and European markets but only in 12 cylinder version).

I think you will be happier with the '87. They aremore reliablecars than the XJ-40 from '88-on. The Series 3are the last of the classic-style Jaguar produced. Not to say that you will not have some problems here and there, but that they are lessproblematicthan the 'digital' XJ-40. BRG is a great color for that model.

( I know of a Gray/Red 1985 selling as a Repair or Parts Car for$600. here in Florida, geez, for the price of ahoodsomeone can havea whole car! )
I have enough Jags to maintain, so it's not an option!

Jose

foresme5 10-03-2007 01:29 AM

Jose,

Funny that you mention below the 88 XJ-6 ( I have an 87 British model which form what I have learned so far is an 88 US model) has a busted driver's side rear door handle and also seems to have a leak. You're posts have been very helpful to me and I appreciate your sharing of knowledge.

Regards,

David

bigdreams05 10-03-2007 08:33 AM

What do you know, someone that actually searched. Good job foresme. I'm happy to know that some people actually know how to use the search button.

Jose 10-03-2007 08:45 AM

sounds like you have an XJ-40, and like Ken said above about checking the door handles,-and you confirmed-, the door handle problem is exclusive to the XJ-40. Very expensive to replace those.

The XJ-40 started being sold in 1986 in Europe, so that's why you have a 1987.

Look at the Production Chart below to understand how the model years cross each other. Thanks for the compliments guys. Jose

foresme5 10-09-2007 02:58 PM

I got the service manual on CD today that I bought off ebay for a great price, considering the paper manaual I have seen for about $90. So I am just about on my way to fixing the areas that are in need fo some love. I'd like to post a few pictures of the old girl and will in a few days.

I gave her a good washing, waxing, and detailing and took some exterior, interior, and engine pics. I grabbed the car for what I consider a steal, about $560 (actually $558 because I found a Britishone pound coin under the seat when I was cleaning her up!). To recap, it's a British '87 XJ-6 in British racing green. 113K miles and mechanically not much to fix.

I have gotten her up to 110 mph on the highway and she ran perfect and would like to get her faster when an clear open road presents itself. Once I figure out why I have to jump start her, maybe every 6-7 starts, and replace the brakes & air filter she should be good to go mechanically speaking.

One door handle, a ripped center armrest, some rust, and no hood emblem are the only cosmetic issues. Which leads me to a hood emblam question.

When I was in highschool, I always wanted an older Jag and also always loved the pouncing cat hood ornement. I got one for a steal and would like to bolt it to my hood in a way that looks nice. Has anybody else modifed their non hood emblem Jag to sport the pouncing cat ornament?

Jose 10-09-2007 04:50 PM

great! you'll enjoy that car. But take it easy - 110 mph is a dangerous speed. And make sure your wheels are properly Torqued to 55 ft. lbs. in a "star" pattern. OK?

Also please save the British Pound for me!!! (haaaa, just kiddin'!)

There is a guy here selling a Leaper hood ornament on eBay, (look at the previous postings), but you can also get them cheap at JC Whitney! Thebonnett/hood should have the access holes to install the ornament.(open the hood and look underneath and center where it would normally mount). Just drill two holes. ouch!

If you want to see a real mean leaper, look at the one in my 1965 S type, it has two fangs that are as sharp as a needle, I've gotten bitten once or twice, not kidding.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1235/B4C83F7982CE4571B1E79E35A8E791B8.jpg[/IMG]

foresme5 10-09-2007 05:44 PM

Jose, thanks for the input. I bought similar hood ornament to the one you have for cheap off of ebay ($25) with the hardware and still in the box. I'm just waiting for it to arrive. When you say "S" type, are you reffering to the XJ-S? The XJ-S os actually my favorite model and I'd liek to have one at some point. That was the model I was originally looking for until I came across the one I ended up buying.

Jose 10-09-2007 06:48 PM

no no, the XJ-S isthe modern 2-seater "Sport" model.

mine is the "Saloon" or "S type", a 1965 4-door model.

you can see it here:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/snaps/snap...?id=1191095476

foresme5 10-09-2007 08:24 PM

Oh! very nice, big difference between the two. While I've loved Jaguars forever, I'm just now starting to become familiar with the different models. Thanks for sharing some of yoru knowledge.

Jose 10-09-2007 09:48 PM

here's a link to all the Jaguar models ever made:

http://www.jagclub.net/Jaguarmallit.htm

bigdreams05 10-10-2007 12:21 PM

Wow...what is this? I like it a lot. Pretty cool.
http://www.jagclub.net/images/TN_Lea...zen_on_Mk2.jpg

Jose 10-10-2007 01:32 PM

ice over the chrome leaper!

bigdreams05 10-10-2007 03:03 PM

LOL! No wonder I don't know what it is. I had to research what "ice" was...sounds like a cool thing. Us South Floridians haven't had too much experience with such novelties. LOL

Jose 10-10-2007 04:26 PM

in Miami they are experts at the stuff!

bigdreams05 10-11-2007 02:18 PM

Is that the same thing that's made in freezers? Because I know not one soul here in Miami that remembers what snow is. Specially not in today's high of nearly 90!