Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   what model transmission do I have? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/what-model-transmission-do-i-have-3967/)

lovethemcars 01-20-2008 12:22 PM

what model transmission do I have?

So it has become apparent to me that I need to adjust my transmission linkage to get the car to move but it has also become apparent I do not know what kind of transmission I have. Its an automatic, and I have been told its either a Borg Warner Model 66 or a GM 400? Anyway I am not sure and I would like to get a book on repairing that particular transmission so my question is, how can I tell what model my transmission is? its a 1984 xj6 series 3 with an automatic tranny. Thanks in advance for the help!

xb70valkyrie 01-21-2008 05:14 AM

RE: what model transmission do I have?

BW66. I have an '83 and bought an '84 parts car, both had the BW66 in them. Hope it helps. Whats the problem?

Fred

lovethemcars 01-21-2008 10:17 AM

The linkage needs to be adjusted/fixed. The car is either in park, or in some forward gear if I am lucky. I am trying to decide whether to bring it to a repair shop, or figure out how to do it myself.

ken@britishparts.com 01-21-2008 12:23 PM

Does it go into reverse?

lovethemcars 01-21-2008 03:16 PM

no, that was the original problem, I went to do a 3-point turn and then when I went to go in reverse, nothing happened. I moved the shifter but I just stayed where it was. Then I got I to go forward for a while, and once again I got stuck in park. I had to get it towed back to my house, they tow truck guy said it felt like the brakes were on, even though they werent.

ken@britishparts.com 01-21-2008 04:25 PM

Give this a whirl: Loosen the lock nut on the rear band adjuster. Torque adjuster to 120 inch pounds then back out to 1 to 1 1/4 quarter turns. Retighten lock nut (without changing adjuster) to 40 foot pounds.

Then, let us know what happens.

lovethemcars 01-21-2008 05:01 PM

I am totally new to tranny repair so I am not sure what to do. I know I need a torque wrench, but I am not sure what size. Gonna check my Hayne's manual and see what I can figure out. btw thanks for the help so far, nobody else has been able to give me specifics on what to do!

xb70valkyrie 01-22-2008 04:53 AM

Sam, I saw your other thread with the trans problem. I have been kinda learning about them myself. First, see if the car even starts in Park and Neutral and make sure it will not crank in the other selections.

The linkage on these cars are very straightforward. Seems like you were given a good description on how to adjust the linkage in your other thread. It is only linked via cable. The simplest thing to do would be to see if you even see a proper link shift. Jack up the front of the car and secure it properly. They are heavy cars so it is important to secure it properly. With the car off have someone shift form inside and see if it feels like it is moving down below. You should hear a proper click for every shift made above.

Once you have made sure the linkage is ok it is time to move to brake band adjustment as Ken stated. If it is not in your manual here is my best shot at an explaination. The 3 speed BW trans have two sets of bands which need to be adjusted for wear. The rear bands are adjusted from under the car on the passenger side of the transmission. Back off the securing nut as Ken said and then all you need to do is tighten the inside one with an adjustable wrench until it is snug and then back it of a half turn. Then tighten the outer nut without turning the inner one. Best way to do it is with a mark of some sort. It is not perfect like a torque wrench but is much easier to do and will give you an idea if your bands are worn beyond repair. The front one is adjusted from inside the car. Unscrew the two footwell airvent screws and remove the cover. Then you will have to remove a panel held on by four bolts which will lead you to the front band adjustment. Adjust it the same way. You will need a small extention for this one and use the front tip of the adjustable wrench.

So first check fluid, then linkage and then adjust bands. These transmissions are not too hard to change out. I am swapping mine out now since I am loosing second gear. Where are you located? Hopefully this helps. Tell me how it works for you.

Fred

Jose 01-23-2008 08:40 PM

check the following article link for more tips:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xjlovers/x...ansxadjust.htm

Jose