Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   What's going on here??? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/whats-going-here-213172/)

Darrenmb 01-24-2019 03:28 PM

What's going on here???

Is everyone's car fixed and running fine??? Forum is slow lately...
well, I'm hoping that just because your cars are fine you are still here reading... :) because... yes you guessed it.. I have an issue....
anyhoo, it's a vibration at any speed above 30 mph, not bad, cant always tell it's there until you drop below 30 and it stops... I have checked u joints and the center bearing numerous times, I'm am thinking at this point tires, as this came on after car had sat for about 2 months, but belts all look good on tires, no flat spots that I can detect (by jacking wheel it just clears.ground and then spinning it)
I cannot tell if from front or back either, I know diagnosing this type of thing on here is not easy, but I'm looking for ideas of whatn to check next. Thanks in advance
Darren

sanchez 01-24-2019 05:15 PM

Sitting for 2 months should not cause a flat spot on your tires unless they were underinflated and even so, hardly likely.
Inflate the tires to about 35-38 psi and drive it. if the vibration is still there,try rotating the tires then drive it.
Based on your post, it is unlikely that your driveshaft suddenly is out of alignment. Driveshaft vibration is felt in the seat.
Funny you are saying that this happened after the car was laid up for 2 months.
My car was laid up for 2 weeks because I pulled the dash out. I put it back together today and now the damn thing won't crank.
I never touched the ignition switch or ignition harness.
STRANGE things happen to these cars.

Daf11e 01-24-2019 05:55 PM

Darren , just two comments....firstly I hope you find your issue and secondly no comment on the thread title as the Jaguar Gods are watching and if I say something they'll strike. ,)

LnrB 01-24-2019 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb (Post 2018058)
well, I'm hoping that just because your cars are fine you are still here reading... :)...

Yes, I'm still reading, but as my "car is fine" except for WINTER (GRRRRR) I have nothing relevant to post here.
(';')

Doug 01-24-2019 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Darrenmb (Post 2018058)
well, I'm hoping that just because your cars are fine you are still here reading... :) because... yes you guessed it.. I have an issue....

It has been a tad slow lately.

My Jag has been well behaved lately; no problems worth mentioning. When time permits I'd like to trace down a couple rattles but that's small potatoes. My transmission kick-down isn't working so I need to jump on that.

anyhoo, it's a vibration at any speed above 30 mph, not bad, cant always tell it's there until you drop below 30 and it stops... I have checked u joints and the center bearing numerous times, I'm am thinking at this point tires, as this came on after car had sat for about 2 months, but belts all look good on tires, no flat spots that I can detect (by jacking wheel it just clears.ground and then spinning it)
I cannot tell if from front or back either, I know diagnosing this type of thing on here is not easy, but I'm looking for ideas of whatn to check next. Thanks in advance
Darren
How are you checking the u-joints? If you're just checking for sloppiness or free play, that isn't enough. To fully exonerate them you need to drop the shaft(s) and actually feel the action of the joints. A stiff u-joint can easily cause a vibration but not have any slack/free play....yet.

Cheers
DD

Larrman 01-25-2019 07:41 AM

I had a similar problem last year when my car hit 60mph. Soon thereafter I noticed the balance weights that were supposed to be attached to the inner rim of my left front wheel were lying on the floor of my garage. After reattaching them to the wheel all was well again.

Larry

Jose 01-25-2019 07:59 AM

have all tires re-balanced and eliminate that possibility.

Darrenmb 01-25-2019 11:38 AM

It is time for new tires anyways, two have got dry rot cracks on them, may as well do all 4, they are about 6 years old, but only have aprox 4k miles on them. But it's not the mileage, it the age. Car barely gets driven since my daughter got her license, but now she has set her sights on it.. and realized the difference between driving it and her new beetle.. so before i hand it over, I need to make sure everything is up to par...