XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will the Classic XJ Market Ever Take Off?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 11:19 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

Series III V12 are definitely going up in The Netherlands.

Today I had my 1986 Sovereign V12 appreciated by an insurance expert.
He values the car in it's current state (newly restored, 126.000 kms) at a market value of € 22.500,- (or US$ 26,907 at the current rate).

Finally someone who doesn't think I'm a fool for restauring my Jag....hooray!!

Old 09-11-2017, 02:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Wow . . . those gold plated values leave our XJ6 market for dead . . . totally contrary to many of our other less numerous Jaguars here. I regard my Series III 4.2L as "excellent but not perfect" having not a speck of rust and near perfect paint, with an impeccable provenance and service history, full documentation, manuals, full original sets of keys, several hundred dollars of relevant XJ6 books, and a second, full set of original wheels, tyres and hub caps . . . the whole package for AU$7,500.

That ranks easily 2 to 3 times what I found was a fair average for "very good but otherwise not exceptional" examples . . . while I found plenty of "average" examples that rivaled prices for the far more modern but largely ignored XJ40s.

I really do think values, even across a variety of different markets, are all about numbers of potentially interested buyers vs available cars - ie supply & demand. It appears from this discussion that markets like Canada and some European countries have no shortage of cashed up buyers competing for a relatively poor supply of quality vehicles . . . contrasting with other markets, notably UK & USA where the sheer numbers of cars vastly outweighs any interest from buyers. What surprises me is how far the Australian (NZ also?) market mirrors something of the US trend. We certainly appear to have no shortage of quality Jaguars, especially across the XJ6 range.

Of course, some of the rarer XJC and post '92 XJ12, and perhaps every one of the bespoke Daimler Double Six VanDen Plas jobbies that were almost hand made to individual order, are a breed apart and really fall beyond this discussion.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 09-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 425 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
...I regard my Series III 4.2L as "excellent but not perfect" having not a speck of rust and near perfect paint, with an impeccable provenance and service history, full documentation, manuals, full original sets of keys, several hundred dollars of relevant XJ6 books, and a second, full set of original wheels, tyres and hub caps . . . the whole package for AU$7,500.

......We certainly appear to have no shortage of quality Jaguars, especially across the XJ6 range.

Cheers,

Ken
If we're talking Series XJ's this is not consistent across the country. I've seen plenty of rubbish in the $7k region, and double or more those values for excellent examples. I'd also question how many "quality" examples we really have to choose from, there are never that many advertised at any one time. The U.S is a unique market, quite different to ours simply because way more XJ's were exported there than anywhere else. Logically their available pool is significantly larger which is reflected in lower values.

XJ40's are a different subject, imo opinion probably representing the best bargains to be found.

Old 09-12-2017, 02:36 AM
Veteran Member

Good point Tony . . . the US market absorbed a great many XJ6s . . . but, fueled by great demand. Put simply, there always were, and still are, vastly more buyers. Even today, these forums show ample evidence of vastly more USA members than the rest of the world combined.

To that extent, I see somewhat different trends here, although my patch is now focused north from Sydney, top half of NSW and across QLD. I guess what is obvious is that each of us knows our own patch best, so I certainly acknowledge what you report from VIC. I also chuckle at the knowledge that 2 of my most expensive and exclusive Jags, I purchased from WA . . . followed similarly by my bargain basement XJ-S which cost me more to transport here than the price of whole car and crate of spares!

Where I am sure we can also agree . . . whether here or in Holland, Canada or Texas . . . is that, whatever their value, these timeless classics represent the era when Jaguar's heritage of timeless beauty, performance and value were at their peak. We are fortunate indeed, to still enjoy that today . . . albeit in Jaguars that are 25-40 years old!

Best wishes to all,

Ken

The following 5 users liked this post by cat_as_trophy:
Doug (09-12-2017), jagent (09-12-2017), LnrB (09-12-2017), Mkii250 (09-18-2017), ronbros (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cat_as_trophy
Where I am sure we can also agree . . . whether here or in Holland, Canada or Texas . . . is that, whatever their value, these timeless classics represent the era when Jaguar's heritage of timeless beauty, performance and value were at their peak. We are fortunate indeed, to still enjoy that today . . . albeit in Jaguars that are 25-40 years old!

Best wishes to all,

Ken
I agree, that sums it up for us all Ken

I've often thought WA is an interesting anomaly with Jags. A disproportionate number of Jags appear to be in existence in that state compared to the population, and used ones are commonly offered at bargain prices (compared to the south east coast). I know WA has a high British expat population, which could be one reason for new Jags selling in relatively healthy numbers over there, then coupled with the fact that most classic Jag buyers are in the east and need an added incentive to buy and ship a vehicle from the west. Makes it a good source for bargains? Just my theory!

Last edited by jagent; 09-12-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

OK; my XJ-S was the bargain . . . a private purchase of a stalled project. The other two were very expensive but, with each being the best I could find, I felt that they represented best value as long term hand-me-downs. Perhaps one reason that Western Australia is blessed with top quality Jaguars lies in their having a long history of family owned, top service Jaguar dealers there. I refer to Roadbend and Barbagallo's. I am not associated with either, except as a very satisfied client of Roadbend Motors.

My association with Graeme, Tony and the rest of the tribe at Roadbend goes way back to my dear Dad's purchase of his immaculate 3.8L Mk2. Much later, most remarkably, and contrary to every advice I offer here, I find myself now having purchased 2 very expensive late model Jaguars, sight unseen, from Roadbend. Both were exactly as described or better and neither has disappointed. Normal caveats apply of course, but I am happy to recommend any well managed business that offers such top quality service.

Cheers,

Ken

Old 09-30-2017, 06:02 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts

This one popped up a couple of days ago.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/beec...upe/1160938198

Old 10-01-2017, 06:34 AM
Received 178 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't know when they'll go up, but I'm surprised they haven't already. I had my '87 up for sale but have since decided to hold onto it. Someone would have to make me an offer I couldn't refuse at this point. I had it up on various for-sale sites and had put it on eBay, and kept getting low-balled by people PMing me ("Would you take $2,000 for it?" No, I would not...). So I just invested about $1k in its rear brakes and am about to put another $300 in upgrading headlights and some other electrical items, and will keep it awhile.

Jess

Old 10-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,055 Likes on 671 Posts

Originally Posted by Adrian L
This is what Hagerty says about 1971 4.2 XJ6 values. This is $ CAD which is on par with $ AUD. Of course, what it's worth 'on paper' isn't much of a comfort if it's sitting unsold for a year.

Current Values

• #1 Concours $42,300
    Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours."
  • #2 Excellent $30,400
  • #3 Good $18,800
  • #4 Fair $8,500
I think people who've never been to a concours level show or who have never attempted to complete such a high level of restoration are not going to understand the condition ratings and value. In Hagerty's world, #4 is the decent car you see at your local parking lot car show, a well-preserved but obviously used car or maybe an older amateur, budget restoration. The curve is exponential from there.

When restoring a car, its all little the details that rack up the most expense. For a concours paint job, here in Texas prices you're talking $15,000 plus whatever body work it needs. Sure you could have a car painted for $3,000 and it would look fine to most people, but its not "concours" quality. Move on to re-chroming and polishing stainless trim and you could add another $10,000 to $20,000 easy. And there are hundreds of small metal parts, not to mention thousands of nuts, bolts and screws, that you don't just spray paint, but rather should be refinished with zinc, cadmium, di-chromate, zinc-phosphate, manganese-phosphate, black oxide, tin, etc. Refinish all those parts correctly and you could add another $10,000 easy.

There are a tiny handful of hobbyists who learn how to do all of the above in their own garage and spend a decade restoring one car. Even so they usually wind up spending more on parts and supplies than if they'd just bought the same concours level car already done.

That's why the value curve is exponential with the average condition cars down in the low thousands and a concours level way up in the tens of thousands. It takes a long time to sell the best of the best because there are just very few buyers looking for concours level cars. It only makes sense if you're planning to haul it around the country in an enclosed trailer competing in such events or happen to have more money than you could possibly spend in seven lifetimes. Not many buyers fit that description and those that do are usually more interested in sports cars, muscle cars from their youth, or coachbuilt cars, not sedans mass-produced on an assembly line. Still, its good that Hagerty must have found a few examples at the top to fill out their chart.

The following users liked this post:
Doug (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,749 Likes on 7,100 Posts

Originally Posted by pdupler
I think people who've never been to a concours level show or who have never attempted to complete such a high level of restoration are not going to understand the condition ratings and value.

And, for USA buyers, don't be mislead by JCNA concours standards.

Often Jaguars ARE restored to the level you've described but under the JCNA judging system it's easy to have a high-scoring car that falls well short of the highest standards.

Cheers
DD

ronbros (10-01-2017)
Old 10-01-2017, 08:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

any vehicle that is old then restored to very good conditions, will always be old, never new again!

i been around old cars all my useful life, and when at a concours car show , some guys say its 100% perfect ,JUST AS IT CAME OUT OF FACTORY???

i usually close them
,with this remark, say i 1952 Jaguar XK 120,, OH you must have 1952 fuel in your tank, and 1952 air in your tires"

they present a dumb look and say that cant be done, i say know sh$t dick tracy, so it aint absolutly as 1952 factory!!

they are usually the ones who can control market values, and quite often DONT do there own restoration.

rant does not apply to Doug, he knows what i mean.

Old 10-02-2017, 02:03 AM
Veteran Member

The real value of a car is determined only by the market i.e. what the prospective buyer is prepared to pay. Doesn't matter what the experts decide the value *should* be, or even what the seller thinks for that matter. Value or worth is only hypothetical so long as the car remains in the garage. Once the sale is done, then the value is known.

Old 10-04-2017, 05:28 AM
Received 95 Likes on 63 Posts

The real value for me is what the insurance company pays me for the wreck, when someone totals it...with the experts' report that would be €22,500 for the next two years.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:51 PM

$70,000 asking price and no details about the car in the add.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/112648761218?ul_noapp=true

Last edited by o1xjr; 11-20-2017 at 08:54 PM.
Old 11-20-2017, 09:01 PM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

Looking at the photos he must be smoking something!

Old 11-20-2017, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Daf11e
Looking at the photos he must be smoking something!
Interior not great, he hasn't even bothered removing the empty beer can to take photos.

Will the Classic XJ Market Ever Take Off?-s-l1600-1-.jpgName:  Capture.JPG
Views: 174
Size:  13.2 KB

Last edited by o1xjr; 11-20-2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old 11-21-2017, 01:01 AM
Received 3,804 Likes on 2,784 Posts

I agree.....not great is being kind!

Old 11-21-2017, 01:44 AM

Just read this on a facebook Jag page. Seems likely.

May be mistaken but this was for sale about a year ago, similar condition and good bits, got to $4.5k with a $7k reserve.....Typo? Or clever stunt to garner comment and publicity

Daf11e (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 03:58 AM

This one looks more like it's on the right money.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/aspl...ats/1164677367

Last edited by o1xjr; 11-21-2017 at 04:01 AM.
Old 11-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Veteran Member

Yeah, clearly got carried away typing the zero's. It's a shambles.

The one on Gumtree looks magnificent, very tempting for that price...

o1xjr (11-21-2017)