Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Will not start (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/will-not-start-165584/)

albjerryg 07-07-2016 12:35 PM

Will not start

I am beginning to wonder if these jaguars are just to complicated for me? I have a 1981 XJ6 and had the car idling while working on my 1966 Nova and then it just stopped. I tried to start it with no luck. I checked a spark plug and it was firing then I pulled one of the fuel rails to the injector and plenty of fuel. I have l ways thought f you have spark and fuel it would start. Any ideas for what to try next. I have plenty gas and the fuel pump must be working f there is fuel at the injector? Thanks....Jerry

Doug 07-07-2016 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by albjerryg (Post 1494420)
I pulled one of the fuel rails to the injector and plenty of fuel. I have l ways thought f you have spark and fuel it would start. Any ideas for what to try next. I have plenty gas and the fuel pump must be working f there is fuel at the injector? Thanks....Jerry

The 'could be' list might be a little long.

Good that you have fuel *at* the injector, but is the injector itself working?

Do the injectors click when cranking the engine?

If not....

Check the white/black wire that run aft along the water rail from the coil "-" post.

Check the bundle of ground wires at the rear of the water rail.

Cheers
DD

albjerryg 07-07-2016 10:13 PM

I will give it a try ...thanks Jerry

albjerryg 07-08-2016 07:02 AM

Will not start

Is it possible to remove the fuel injector and watch and see it squirts gas as you crank it. When you are working by yourself it is hard to crank and listen to the injector. Thanks Jerry

Doug 07-08-2016 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by albjerryg (Post 1494815)
Is it possible to remove the fuel injector and watch and see it squirts gas as you crank it.

Sure, that'll work. Removing a single injector might be a little fussy unless you cut the hose and install new....which is no biggie, I guess.

Might actually be easier to unbolt and lift up the entire fuel rail

Cheers
DD

JagCad 07-08-2016 09:08 AM

Yeah, when I was trying to get my LT1 to fire, the guy at the
source suggested I remove the entire rail and seek to fire the
injectors in situ, but over a catch pan.

Caveat: Did not try. Because of my prior career and other
experience opted out. Found my no start issue elsewhere.

Carl

albjerryg 07-08-2016 10:37 AM

Will not start

OK I think I will give that a try. Thanks...Jerry

johnwus83 07-10-2016 11:09 AM

Hi, before you get deep into some serious diagnosis, I had an issue with my XJ6 series 3. Drove it all day, parked it for the night next morning, it would not start. Sound familiar? Well after long thought, I call a mechanic buddy of mine he came over, looked here and there, tinker, tinker. LOL... found a vacuum leak.. readjusted a hose and tighten a few clamps.. She fired up and has run ever since. Good luck

albjerryg 07-10-2016 02:55 PM

Will not start

Yes I go over everything before removing a thing. it will be Thursday before I back and can look at it again. Thanks....Jerry

johnwus83 07-10-2016 08:04 PM

I invite you to check out my album. POW!

albjerryg 07-10-2016 09:23 PM

Will not start

Where would I find POW. Jerry

johnwus83 07-11-2016 01:45 PM

LOL LOL POW is the shock you get when you see my "barn Find"

albjerryg 07-14-2016 03:04 PM

Will not start

Well I finally got back today, I removed the first two injector nearest the firewall. As soon as I cranked it, it fire right up and ran good without those injectors. Both injectors were working As soon as I stopped it and replaced the injectors it is back to not starting. Any ideas. Thanks..... Jerry

Saemetric 07-14-2016 04:51 PM

You probably have a dodgy wire connection somewhere in the water rail area. Could be a simple intermittent ground problem. Removing the injectors temporarily made the connection. Wires in this area are ola, hard, and cracked. Check them closely.

albjerryg 07-14-2016 05:15 PM

Will not start

Ok I will check all wires again and the grounds. Could you tell me what is the water rail? Thanks much...Jerry

Doug 07-15-2016 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by albjerryg (Post 1498218)
Ok I will check all wires again and the grounds. Could you tell me what is the water rail? Thanks
much...Jerry

It's a long casting running parallel to the RH side cam covered. The coil and various temp sensors are mounted on it

Cheers
DD

albjerryg 07-15-2016 08:50 AM

Will not start

Ok Doug I will check the wiring. I don't think it is the injector because it was running so well just before this started. Thanks Jerry

JagCad 07-15-2016 09:21 AM

Yeah, sure sounds like the fiddle factor in play in spades!!!

Way back when, I bought a really nice Ford F150 4x4. First Ford truck with EFI ! EfI new to me as well. Soon after I got it, it developed a stutter when driving. On/off like.

I applied the fiddle technique. Idling smoothly In my drive way. Aware of the fan, I began to wiggle wires. Yahoo, a black one in he front left of the engine bay, when wiggled induced the stutter!!!
Ground! It lead back to battery - ! A loose connector mid stream.

Fix. Cleaned and tightened. And belt and braces, a parallel black wire.

Ran like charm til I decided to clean the throttle plates. Very gunky.
Ford decided to insert sump fumes before the plates, as opposed to after. Lots of cab cleaner and a brush and I got them clean.

Oh, oh, now it will not run. Flooded in carb cleaner??? So, I came up with a "brilliant" idea. I used my shop vac on the intake with throttle wide open. It worked. Lucky me no flame up in the vac!!!

Hint; Opening and closing connectors can clean the corrosion enough to restore continuity.

Idea: Strobe the HT from coil to distributor and verify ignition.

Carl

albjerryg 07-15-2016 09:33 AM

Carl thanks for the info. Jerry

albjerryg 07-15-2016 11:18 AM

Will not start

OK I pulled all the wire from the water rail and there were a few nicks I repaired and check the grounds. Having the wire above the cam valve so nothing is touching tried to start it nothing. I removed the injector from cylinder 3 and 4 and it started fine ran a little rough and idled fast. I put one injector in and it till ran but when replaced the last injector it would kill it. I don't know but I see a vacuum fuel pressure regulator, is there a way it could be it? Is there a way to check it. I tried disconnecting the vacuum line and starting it but did not start. Any help would be appreciated, Thanks....Jerry