XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Window tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Received 6,317 Likes on 4,367 Posts
Question Window tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?

I had my windows tinted today out of necessity, I would rather leave them untinted but the sun is killing my interior. So I went with the lightest tint I could, didn't want gangster looking tint.
The seat belt and rear seat cover were black 12 months ago. Now grey(light grey)

Window tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?-dsc_3759.jpgWindow tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?-dsc_3762.jpgWindow tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?-dsc_3763.jpg
Window tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?-dsc_3767.jpgWindow tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?-dsc_3768.jpg

The following users liked this post:
paulyling (07-23-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

I mostly like tinted windows but two negatives:

-As a driver, reduced visibility at night.

-In some situations eye contact between two drivers, or between pedestrians and driver, is needed to proceed safely. Tinted glass makes it difficult or impossible to make eye contact with the driver at times.

Cheers
DD

Old 07-23-2015, 12:02 AM
Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts
Default I like it

I think it looks great!

Course in So Cal it's a necessity. Here's my car, I am second owner and according to receipts the tint was done in 1986 when the car was only a year old. Held up pretty well.

Attached Thumbnails Window tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?-image.jpg  
Old 07-23-2015, 01:32 AM
Received 3,816 Likes on 2,790 Posts

Looks great Clarke and as you say, a requirement in our climate. When I get around to the interior and panel work it will go on mine. The difference in the aircon function in my rangie is incredible.......

Jim

Old 07-23-2015, 02:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

I get all our cars, old or new, tinted. On the old cars I mainly do it to protect the interior and it certainly helps the a/c in summer, as some of these old beasts have nothing like the a/c power of modern cars. Between the a/c work you have done and this you should really enjoy the car next summer.

Doug makes a reasonable point re eye contact out the sides. Ive never noticed a difference at night though.

Old 07-23-2015, 02:49 AM
Received 1,209 Likes on 918 Posts

Looks good Clarke....shoulda went gangsta though ha ha ha only kidding

I actually think the tint suits the silver body IMO

Old 07-23-2015, 09:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

CA has regulations as to window tint in the CVC. Most cops are tolerant to a point.
Act like an idiot and it will be a way to get you, via a ticket requiring removal.

But, some go too far and do the "limo tint" everywhere. really dark and the occupants are pretty well hidden from view. Cop invite !! That attitude thing.

I have dash pads for each of my cars. Black for the Jeep, it matches some of the interior trim. A light gold for the Jaguar to coordinate with it's doeskin interior. looks good and protects the pad. but, too light. Not so good on bright sun light.

In a past car, I had a similar cover for the package shelf and seat back for the rear.

Not particularly helpful for interior comfort, but saved the upholstery and trim.

Best is park in the shade wherever possible. Helps a lot.

My first car was black. Oh, no choice, it was a 23 Ford T. First repaint was in blue and red wood spoke wheels. Fenders went to the recycle!! when the 'new" body came it was a dove grey and red disc wheels. No top atall. Kids don't care.

I bought a company car. White. great AC. Got it painted "thunderbird red". Looked slick. My co workers called the "fire chief's car".

MY Jeep is Pewter. Looks OK not much different if a bit dusty or freshly washed.

The Jaguar is Grosvenor Brown and looks taddy when dirty and really slick when washed Jeep rear hatch and rear doors have a deepoere tint than the front doors and the W/S, top only. Good AC.

Carl

Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

That looks really nice, Clarke!
(';')

Old 07-23-2015, 11:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

I have both my Jags with film tint, makes for very cozy interior, cooler interior, and privacy. I have no issues with the tiniting at night.

I care little if any at all for California's laws. Sooner or later the state will sink into the ocean with all its anti-automobile laws. Adios baby, hasta la vista. My advice to LnrB and Carl is to move to Nevada a.s.a.p.

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 11:54 AM
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Though mine aren't tinted yet, I am a big fan of the way it looks. Makes it look cleaner, in my opinion.

Old 07-23-2015, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Jose:

I hear you. go back to Texas? Not likely. Kids live nearby.

So far, I've managed to get by the anti car state "government". Even saw a couple of local rep's elected with more pragmatic views. a leading anti car gal got termed out, so far no place to resurface, Yeah!

OTH, the official SF Mayor's car is a 28 Lincoln Phaeton. Unrestored, but well maintained. Ceremonial only. The functional Lincoln of far more recent vintage appears once in a while. The present Mayor drives himself in a little "puddle jumper".

So, there is some hope.

Carl

Old 07-23-2015, 07:24 PM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Tint

My 86 VDP has had tint since new,...interior is like factory new and I attribute that to having tinted windows, parked in shade, etc. But now the ravages of time and use has resulted in tears / scratches in the tint film all over the place . Previous owner had a jumbo diamond ring and I think that is how she managed to scratch the window tint next to driver seat.
So I am about to take the steamer to it and get it all off, then install some new stuff. Really helps preserve the interior - mine is AAE Doeskin which has had hide feedings and periodic cleaning. As a side note,.. happened to find a 1986 VDP at a Pull a Part yard had 65000 on clock with a perfect interior,.. snagged everything except the seats (no room in my van to transport them) arm rests, door panels, perfect dash upper panel - no cracks. My front carpets were shot from the leaks from windscreen corners, so I got some like new front carpeting and under pads. Looking in the boot there were a set of long hair sheep skin over rugs.. Soft warm wash and mild combing and they were like new . So I would like to keep the factory new looking stuff as it is and will apply some new dark grey film in the future. Got my vote.

Old 07-23-2015, 09:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,058 Likes on 451 Posts

Mine is tinted, but its older, turning a bluish colour now, i want to get it redone but am apprehensive about them removing old tint from.back window without destroying my defroster.
Do you guys and or gals that have the tint have that awful strip across front screen, mine did but when.i replaced glass i like it better without.

Old 07-23-2015, 10:34 PM
Received 3,816 Likes on 2,790 Posts

Darrenmb when I bought mine it had that horrible purple tint on the rear window (probably from the seventies) really stuck and gluey. I was also apprehensive but finally opted to use a small steamer ( bought cheap one for $30) and it took it of slowly slowly......about 5 hours work. Then with a glass cleaner all the glue that was left came off rather quickly.....not a big job just slow.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Daf11e
Then with a glass cleaner all the glue that was left came off rather quickly.....not a big job just slow.
100% IPA will remove that glue without hard rubbing, just wet a cloth with it and wipe lightly in a circular motion.
No idea how hard it is to get hold of though, I have a steady supply as we use around 600l/week at work( I keep about 10 x 1ltr bottles on hand and give one to everyone who visits my garage, so handy for so many jobs). If you live in the USA it has been banned. I hear you Merkans have the best fun police!

Old 07-24-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 8,951 Likes on 5,296 Posts

Yeah, probably some do-gooder figured out it makes babies born naked.
(';')

Old 07-24-2015, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by LnrB
Yeah, probably some do-gooder figured out it makes babies born naked.
(';')
Apparently breathing in the fumes will intoxicate you, no brainer there. We have tried going alcohol free on the printing machines many times here and it's no fun being unintoxicated in the work place, we just like the aroma and a slight light headedness all day(lol).

In all seriousness, the printing industry here will have to go IPA free eventually. But until it is banned it makes my job so much easier using it, I have done so many alcohol free trials that have failed...maybe that's an Aussie thing!
Must ask the wizard of OZ(Grant Francis).

Last edited by o1xjr; 07-24-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:28 AM
Received 245 Likes on 147 Posts
Default tint

I have had success in the past using a small steamer. To remove residual adhesive ,...use Mineral Spirits, then denatured alcohol to remove the oily residue from the mineral spirits. No need to rub hard just a soft rag with mineral spirits (Home Depot) and a light wiping action,.. let the chemical and time do the work. Denatured alcohol can be found at Home Depot as well.

Old 07-24-2015, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

the current count:

12 in favor (my vote counts as two because I have two Jags with tint).

2 against

Guess who wins?

Old 07-24-2015, 08:56 PM
Thumbs up I like it now.

Since I have had the car out a couple of times now,walking back to it from a distance I like the look. It has grown on me, I really didn't think I would like the look of the tint on the car.

Quick Reply: Window tinting on your classic, what's your opinion?