Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Windshield removal (1987 XJ12) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/windshield-removal-1987-xj12-164317/)

Robert Leonardo 06-12-2016 06:01 PM

Windshield removal (1987 XJ12)

Looking for some detailed how-to on removing the windscreen. Please.
Having a pro remove is not possible in my remote location and with the car torn down for restoration. Re-install will be a pro shop, after repairs and paint.

I have a removal tool but I am not certain how to remove the chrome trim. It is Urethaned on to the windscreen and the tight space with the trim makes for a very difficult cutting with the removal tool. Persistence has gotten me several inches of cutting, however, as I am going deeper than I would normally would (due to the chrome trim capping the glass), the rubber moulding on the inside of the windscreen is bulging... obviously I have cut that gasket... not sure how to proceed. If I do cut the inside gasket, should I be concerned? All the other seal/gaskets will be replaced when windshield is installed... have that done too and not worry about the damage?

Doug 06-12-2016 08:37 PM

Assuming original installation.....

The stainless trim is not glued it. Carefully cut away the rubber all around so the trim can be lifted away. The trim is very fragile and will deform easily....making it useless. You shouldn't have to cut too deeply to get the trim removed but it takes a lot of time.

The glass itself is glued to the body. More work, but you don't have to be any more delicate about it than you would with any other car.

The rubber bits (3 pieces, actually) are not seals, per se. That is, not designed to keep water out of the car. However, they do keep water trapped between the glass and the body. Dumb design.

Look for posts from Alyn Murray. He has quite a bit of experience in this area

cheers
DD

alynmurray 06-13-2016 11:35 AM

Yes ,...the easiest way is to get a 6 inch blade serrated steak knife and insert it from outside to inside through the sealant,...between the body and the stainless. The stainless has been embedded into the sealant so you will have to first separate the glass with the stainless and some of the sealant still attached. Once the glass and stainless is out of the car you can carefully remove the sealant that is still stuck to the stainless. Just be careful about damaging the interior upholstery . Use a serrated knife,, they work best. Cut across the top of the glass , around the top corners and down the sides ,...then grab the glass and pull the bottom of it away from the car body.

Robert Leonardo 06-13-2016 07:44 PM

Thanks folks! Much help along with a PM from WindstonWolf. I am all set.