Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Windshield wiper park switch (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/windshield-wiper-park-switch-209027/)

XJDanny 10-07-2018 09:23 AM

Windshield wiper park switch

My ‘87 VDP wipers don’t park. They stop wherever they are when I release the wiper stalk. I have a new wiper motor park switch I want to install but don’t know how to do it. I found no steps in the Service Manual and have tried searching the internet with no luck. I do realize the problem could be my wiper stalk instead of the park switch.

Can anyone help or provide a link to instructions to install it?

Thank you!

Danny

Doug 10-07-2018 09:42 AM

Danny, it's been 15 or more years since I replaced one but I recall that it is externally mounted on the wiper motor and simply snaps into place, or perhaps has one small screw holding it. There's no trick to replacing it.

Hopefully someone wit a clearer memory will chime it

Cheers
DD

JagCad 10-07-2018 10:21 AM

Or, merely use the Dr. Gregory approach. A tap on the stalk and they park!!!

Mine usually park as commanded, but on occasion, I just do the Dr. Gregory maneuver,and they park. Here AKA SOV211 !!!

Carl

XJDanny 10-07-2018 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 1972217)
Danny, it's been 15 or more years since I replaced one but I recall that it is externally mounted on the wiper motor and simply snaps into place, or perhaps has one small screw holding it. There's no trick to replacing it.

Hopefully someone wit a clearer memory will chime it

Cheers
DD

Thank you, Doug. My inexperience is about to show here but how do I get to the wiper motor? Is it behind the battery somewhere? I don’t see where or how to access it.

Danny

Doug 10-07-2018 10:06 PM

The wiper motor is sorta tucked in alongside the battery, yes. Look inside the fender cavity, you'll see it.
Cheers
DD

sov211 10-08-2018 01:27 AM

Originally Posted by JagCad (Post 1972241)
Or, merely use the Dr. Gregory approach. A tap on the stalk and they park!!!

Mine usually park as commanded, but on occasion, I just do the Dr. Gregory maneuver,and they park. Here AKA SOV211 !!!

Carl

well, actually, my procedure in the case of nonparking wipers was very simple. You just move the switch to the intermittent setting and they will assume the park position after every sweep. Turn the wipers off during one of the intervals. Problem solved!

Jose 10-08-2018 06:07 AM

it is usually the column switch and its moving parts wearing out, not the motor.

you might find it a fruitless exercise replacing the park swich.

The column switch can be disassembled and fixed.

Here's a test before you mess with the motor:

remove the lower and upper steering column covers or "nacelles". Follow the steps in the Service Manual for removal.

with engine running and windscreen wet, run the wipers,

With one hand press the wires behind the column switch into the switch, with the other hand turn the wipers off.

if they do not park, wiggle each wire to see if the wipers park. If they do, you found the problem. Contacts worn out.

sov211 10-08-2018 01:15 PM

Jose is correct: the problem is not (ever) in the motor, nor is it in the park switch mounted to the motor. It is in the column...thus the easiest thing by far (if it is merely the fact that the wipers do not park that bothers you) is to use the intermittent setting at the end of every wiper-use session. The wipers will always park in the intermittent cycle. If, however, you simply must have the wipers working "as designed" then dealing with the wiring in the column is the only recourse.

XJDanny 10-08-2018 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by sov211 (Post 1972720)
Jose is correct: the problem is not (ever) in the motor, nor is it in the park switch mounted to the motor. It is in the column...thus the easiest thing by far (if it is merely the fact that the wipers do not park that bothers you) is to use the intermittent setting at the end of every wiper-use session. The wipers will always park in the intermittent cycle. If, however, you simply must have the wipers working "as designed" then dealing with the wiring in the column is the only recourse.

It sounds like a common problem. The wipers do work fine other than not parking.

Thank you, everyone, for your feedback and help!

Danny

Doug 10-21-2018 09:02 PM

In case anyone was wondering how to replace the wiper switch....it's easy. I took a couple pics so a first-timer can get the lay of the land, so to speak.

1) Remove under trim to unplug wiper harness
2) Remove upper and lower column shrouds to fully reveal wiper switch*
3) Remove two screws and one press-on clip holding switch to bracket, remove switch
4) Installation is reverse of removal

*In truth only the lower shroud must come off. The upper one can be gently shifted out of the way, as even in the pics. Whether removing the upper shroud or just re-positioning it, the column must be dropped down for wiggle room. Two nuts hold the column onto the dashboard structure. You'll see them if you look upwards from below. Loosen the nuts almost all the way; the column will drop about an inch. Watch for adjustment shims that might fall out of place.

The upper shroud is attached to the oblong bracket with two (or it is three?) small screws. After removing the lower shroud (three screws) you can peer upwards and just see the upper shroud screws. Remove them and gently shift the upper shroud.

When dealing with the upper shroud be very gentle around the hazard light switch. It's fragile. The shrouds themselves are fragile as well, do not over-tighten ofrthe captive nuts will break off

The first pic shows the oblong bracket with the switch removed. The second pic shows the relationship between the bracket and the switch. Note the bracket stays on the car when replacing the wiper switch. I took the pic on my workbench using a spare bracket. You can also see the arrangement of the other switches on the bracket.

The third pic is off-topic but I included it as a trivia thing. Is shows the contact points that operate the high beam/headlamp flash. When you pull on the stalk the contacts close to provide a ground 'trigger' to the headlight relay. I've worked on earlier versions where the contact points were just a tab of spring steel.

This is Series III stuff but I think Series II is the same or nearly so

Cheers
DD
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...a88f2fda68.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...2acdc92251.jpg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...feb519951c.jpg

JagCad 10-22-2018 09:46 AM

CAVEAT!!!

I removed these shrouds a few months back to replace a "plumb wore out" ignition switch that caused a lot of odd faults!!

The black plastic is brittle. The screws seat in imbedded brass captive threads. The plastic around some busted. Screws way too tight!!! A PO??? Yes, The alarm was disconnected!!!

JB fixed some. A bit of black tape did a part. I got new screws. Gone are the slotted ones. In with the Allen heads...

Apologies to a sub

Ernest Knox 11-26-2018 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by XJDanny (Post 1972210)
My ‘87 VDP wipers don’t park. They stop wherever they are when I release the wiper stalk. I have a new wiper motor park switch I want to install but don’t know how to do it. I found no steps in the Service Manual and have tried searching the internet with no luck. I do realize the problem could be my wiper stalk instead of the park switch.

Can anyone help or provide a link to instructions to install it?

Thank you!

Danny

I had the same problem on my 1988 XJ6 Vanden Plas. It turned out to be a blown fuse under the glove box. I suggest to check that first before exploring more time consuming repairs. Here's a photo for reference:
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...54f08a711e.jpg

Jose 11-26-2018 05:34 PM

Ernest, you have a XJ40, it is different from the XJ-6.

Ernest Knox 11-26-2018 07:29 PM

I have a xj6. The photo is not of my car. It is just for reference.

sov211 11-27-2018 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Ernest Knox (Post 1993621)
I have a xj6. The photo is not of my car. It is just for reference.

If you have a 1988 XJ6(which is what you have stated), then you need to understand that your car has NOTHING - nothing - in common with the cars being discussed on this particular list, and that includes the fuse system. There is not a single interchangeable part between the Series III XJ and the car that you have (known by its factory code as XJ40, as Jose has mentioned).
With regard to the particular problem of the wipers not parking properly, the fuse is not the problem- however, you are correct in general in suspecting the fuses first - On the Series I-III XJ that is indeed the very first thing to check for any electrical malfunction.

Jose 11-27-2018 10:36 AM

Ernest, the photo you posted is an XJ40 picture, not a Series 3 XJ-6.

The 1988-on XJ40 is also popularly known as an "XJ-6" but it has a 4.0 liter 6 cylinder engine as opposed to the 4.2 liter 6 cylinder engine of the Series 1, 2, and 3 XJ-6.

the Last year for the Series 3 XJ-6 6 cylinder was 1987. In 1988 the XJ-40 is introduced to America. Some of us call it "the first digital Jaguar".

the Series 3 XJ body style continued until 1992 but only with the 12 cylinder engine, and those are known as "V12".

Ernest Knox 11-27-2018 12:46 PM

Jose, Thanks for the explanation. I live in the U.S., and my car is an XJ6 with a 3.6 liter 6 cylinder engine. To my knowledge, the XJ40 was never sold in the U.S.

Jose 11-27-2018 01:18 PM

you're welcome Ernest.

Does your car look like the first or the second picture below?
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...60ac2432f8.jpg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b2aca0ebc6.jpg

Ernest Knox 11-27-2018 01:31 PM

This is my car
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...78b65c09ec.jpg

Jose 11-27-2018 02:08 PM

it is a XJ40 Ernest. Unoficially known as a Series 4.