Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Wiring diagram to horn relay (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/wiring-diagram-horn-relay-195181/)

JimJam 01-12-2018 08:50 PM

Wiring diagram to horn relay

I wonder if someone can provide me with information on which of the 4 colored wires on my horn relay go to which of the each numbered post
My wire colors are as follows
Green
Purple/black
Purple/yellow
Purple/ brown
My horn relay has the following numbered post
30/51
I made the mistake of disconnecting the individual wires and misplaced the diagram I made
My 1986 Jaguar series lll had developed a problem, and I am trying to reconnect my new relay
I cleaned up my horn mounting bracket, ran a jump wire ( horns work) and am now trying to do my own electrical troubleshooting.
Thanks
JimJam

Doug 01-12-2018 09:11 PM

30/51 brown/purple 12v constant
87 purple/yellow 12v output to horns
86 purple/black ground from horn button
85 green 12v with key 'on'

Cheers
DD

JimJam 01-13-2018 04:56 AM

Doug,
You have responded to my prior post before, regarding other issues. I wanted to take a minute to personally thank you, as your remarks and post are exact. I realize some people respond with humor, and at times it is funny, other times the response is somewhat difficult to follow as the person providing the advice is such an expert that it goes over our heads. I appreciate your help and wanted you to know how much it means to us newbies
Very Greatfull
JimJam

Doug 01-13-2018 06:53 AM

Glad to help :)

Cheers
DD

JimJam 01-13-2018 01:07 PM

Doug,
I pulled up your Horn Circuit checklist that you put together some time ago, and after you instructed me on where each wire went to on each terminal, I began to read and understand your Horn circuit checklist.
The original problem was reported to me by my wife when she was driving the car and all of the sudden it honked all the way home. I thought maybe the horn Pad was stuck or some other electrical fault.
It was sudden and I disabled the horn so it would not come on when I started the car.

After reading your information from the forum I was able to understand each of your steps thru the checklist. I also found that the relay was bad, as I was able to use one for my window relay that I knew worked.
I was able to narrow the issue to the ground circuit test in Step #4. As I had my helper press the horn pad and I got nothing.
Than I removed the horn pad to see if everything looked okay. It did, than I recalled your comment about checking the two metallic tabs on the right side of the steering column. I thought the grease may have been a little excessive of may have prevented the tab from a good connecting to the steering column. I cleaned the excess grease and as I pressed the lower metallic connector to the steering column the horn sounded even without the horn pad in place.

Any thoughts on how I might proceed from here. Also best place to buy another relay.

Thanks
JimJam

Doug 01-13-2018 10:41 PM

I think something has fallen out of place inside the column. I never had a column apart but I think there's a collar attached to the internal tube ...which the horn button is connected to. If the collar slips out of place it grounds against the outer column and triggers the relay just as if the horn button was pushed.

Something like that.

Someone who has had a column apart will chime in

Cheers
DD

JimJam 01-14-2018 03:45 AM

Doug
As I was able to get my (Fat head) under the steering column and peered into the area where the two metal tabs rest, It may be that the brass / copper (Bushing or ring) that the metal tab rest on appears to be significantly worn. {A groove}
Warrjon replied to the post and went into detail as how he had a similar issue with the horn continuing to honk. I am speculating at this point but I believe I will be required to pull the shaft and attempt to modify the brass collar. It might be that the brass/or copper collar / bushing, Warrjon referred is worn to the point that that one of the metal fingers is shorting out against the outer metal wheel column. Not sure If I was clear on my description, but with further reading on my Haynes Manual, I will see if I have the confidence to make the repair.
Thanks
JimJam

JagCad 01-14-2018 10:01 AM

The horn issue exists on my car. As I'm not a fan of horns, I've not devoted much time to it.

It is a circuitos path to change a mechanica motion, pressure on the pad, to an electrical command. And all this via a rotating tube!!!Never mind the contacts at the base!!!

If I were at the diagnostic place that you are, I'd check out a parts
catalog for an exploded view of the components that make up this complex device. Namely, the upper steering column and wheel.

Carl

JimJam 01-14-2018 06:38 PM

Carl
Thanks for your advice
I am going to continue to check out possible alternatives. Hopefully my continued reading into alternative methods will get me the same result a working horn
JimJam