Sponsored by:

XJ6 1984 Clunk when shifting from Park to Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 08:24 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default XJ6 1984 Clunk when shifting from Park to Drive

XJ6 1984 Clunk when shifting from Park to Drive

Hi all,
When I shift from park to drive, or reverse there is a loud clunk sound. Is this simply U-joints being worn out and needing replacing? Perhaps something more sinister?

Old 08-03-2017, 09:50 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

A badly worn u-joint is a possibility, yes.....although for a UJ to develop slop it would've most likely given you some warning signs over a period of time.

Equally likely is a 'stack up' of wear in the output section of the transmission and in the differential. Some free play/backlash at both ends is normal but with age and miles it can increase enough to create a clank or clunk. Not what we wish for but not necessarily a sign of doom, either.

This clank/clunk is worsened by the not-smooth-as-silk characteristics of the old Borg Warner transmission itself....some of which can be adjusted out by slightly tweaking the throttle valve/detent cable adjustment.

A higher than normal idle speed and/or worn transmission mounts can also play a large role in the clunks and clanks.

Cheers
DD

The following users liked this post:
Jag7651 (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Not a new thing. I had ideas. But Doug beat me there.

I could only add a dim other possibility. An inadvertent foot on the throttle pedal increasing RPM's.

The clearance down there is tight. I've often thought that Englishmen have much narrower feet than we colonials.

I cut a chunk off the brake pedal pad's right side and glued it in place. More clearance between pedals. And, compared to some. my shoe size is not that big !!!

Carl

Old 08-05-2017, 12:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll check the idle speed and adjust as needed first. The transmission mounts wouldn't be a bad part to freshen up, if I can source one that is.

Old 08-05-2017, 01:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by twocross
I'll check the idle speed and adjust as needed first. The transmission mounts wouldn't be a bad part to freshen up, if I can source one that is.
Any of the typical Jag suppliers oughta be able to fix you up easily. The transmission mounting arrangement is a monument to Jaguar love affair with complexity...as you'll discover. Never use three parts when eight will do the job perfectly well

You'll need the two rubber blocks and the center 'cotton reel' bushing for a complete job.

Cheers
DD