Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   XJ6 Battery Warning Sticker? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/xj6-battery-warning-sticker-117481/)

Dale Konkol 05-09-2014 07:36 AM

XJ6 Battery Warning Sticker?

2 Attachment(s)
Has anybody ever seen this sticker? It was on the battery hold down frame on my '87 Xj6 S3. I have not been able to find a replacement anywhere. The usual Jag parts suppliers are stumped and believe it may not be original. I believe it is factory as I purchase the car from the original owner who was a doctor from Chicago. He had the car serviced thru the Jag dealer he purchased from. I just can't see the good doctor (or the dealer for that matter) adding that sticker.
So does anybody else have this sticker on their car?
Thanks for any input or help in finding one.

Dale Konkol 05-09-2014 07:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the frame itself.
It's upside down in the photo.
Thanks.

Doug 05-09-2014 08:46 AM

My '87 didn't have it...not while I owned it, at least. It may have come off over the years.

Have you tried Paul's Jaguar in Florida? Of all the 'usual suppliers' out there Paul's is the place for the oddball stickers, clips, thingies, and widgets.

If still no joy a graphics shop/sign maker.....almost every town has one.....can make up a duplicate for you

Cheers
DD

GGG 05-09-2014 08:52 AM

2 Attachment(s)
That looks like a label produced on a Word Processor.

Attachment 83698

If it was a manufacturer label, it would have a Jaguar logo like the example I have done or at least some identifying serial number and almost certainly have rounded corners.

Graham

Doug 05-09-2014 09:05 AM

No, not necessarily. The older Jags had some labels without any Jaguar logos, etc. The trunk/boot closing instructions label, the radiator fan warning label, valve clearance spec label, etc.

Cheers
DD

Dale Konkol 05-09-2014 09:10 AM

I did shoot an email with the image over to Paul's in FL, but as of yet have not got a response. Paul's is a great place. Nice people to deal/work with. Use them often.

JagCad 05-09-2014 10:21 AM

Interesting. My guess, probably wrong, is that it was a dealer created thing. perhaps mishaps caused by the descried failing cause all cars serviced there to get it.

Looks to precarious for a factory thing, and sure does look like something I could create with Open Office!!

Of course my car is an 83, but it's battery hold down is completely different. I sectioned mine to accommodate a long gone Optima. Still works for the conventional lead acid now in place.

If you want one, just type one up!!!

Carli

Doug 05-09-2014 10:41 AM

Here's an illustration from the parts catalog showing (vaguely) the label installed on the battery retainer....but not listing it as a separate item.

Battery Clamp and Fixings-Engine Bay - Parts For Series III Saloon | Jaguar Classic Parts UK

Cheers
DD

Tar 05-09-2014 12:37 PM

Dale,
My '87 which is bone-stock under the hood, does indeed have that sticker. So it seems it is an original Jaguar thing.
Best,
Andrew.

Dale Konkol 05-09-2014 01:07 PM

Thanks for the responses. I figured it was an original item. And you can see that sticker from Doug's link. Too bad no part number callout. Like I mentioned, back in '93 when I bought it, it was an all Jaguar serviced vehicle from new. I just didn't think the dealer would add something like that and I knew the doctor didn't do any "tinkering" with the car. He didn't have time. Too much doctoring to do.
Hopefully, I'll run across one. Or just do without until.

Jose 05-09-2014 04:32 PM

I would not worry, if you disconnect the battery, all circuits will be switched off "automatically".

:icon_rally:

xjtom 05-09-2014 05:22 PM

replacement

2 Attachment(s)
That would certainly be a challenge finding a NOS replacment, as as suggestion i did make some decals of my own to mount either side of the rear # plate as per pic, using MSword (open office - adobe etc will work) i set the size i wanted in a table then created the design within, or just text in this case.
"Avery" product ( i don't have shares) make a 'colour T-shirt ' transfer A4, > it must be for colour T-shirt. print what you want onto the transfer > cut it out > separate the decal from the backing paper > make sure the metal is clean and dry 'no paint' > place the protective paper over the decal as per instructions > using a domestic cloths iron set to the lowest cotton heat then iron on. Caution, as you're ironing on metal it will heat up quick so ironing time will only be 20-30 seconds.if any spots aren't quite stuck you can go over it again, iron from the center out to avoid bubbles....you can then spray it with clear enamel as i have or just leave it, it will stick to any metal so do a test on some scrap first...this may seem a lot of work & instruction but it's not that time consuming & the end result is worth the effort...tom...

john_cook12 05-09-2014 06:08 PM

My first car (86 VDP XJ6) had a faded a peeling version of the original poster's sticker and it was all original.

jag_sticker 06-13-2014 01:25 PM

This is an original Jaguar decal and also appeared on the XJS. I have the design for this which I am happy to provide if anyone wants to cover the expense of getting them reproduced on vinyl.

Regards
David

Dale Konkol 06-16-2014 07:17 AM

So, what kind of expense are we talking about here?
Dale

jag_sticker 06-17-2014 08:04 AM

Dale,
As these are two colour prints the price will naturally increase.

The print shops I use for decals do not produce one offs or small print runs as there is normally a set up costs which does not make it profitable for them. I am based in the UK so I've no experience of US costs. However I have just had 50 of the XJS Do Not Slam bonnet decals produced and these cost me about $250.

Regards
David

Hoppy 08-03-2014 05:15 AM

Hey David, i'm interested in those do not slam stickers for my 89 XJS, are these the red on white ones?
Cheers

jjd 08-03-2014 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by john_cook12 (Post 972200)
My first car (86 VDP XJ6) had a faded a peeling version of the original poster's sticker and it was all original.

+1
Yes its present on my 85 xj6. All original.