Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   XJ6 Cam bearing Oil Feed Banjo Stripped -- Help! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/xj6-cam-bearing-oil-feed-banjo-stripped-help-165594/)

SableXJ6C 07-07-2016 03:01 PM

XJ6 Cam bearing Oil Feed Banjo Stripped -- Help!

Well, in an effort to stop an oil leak on the XJ6C today, I replaced the copper washers on the banjo at the back of the cylinder head only to end up pulling all of the threads out of the head. I knew they were already weak as it wouldn't torque properly, and now it won't tighten at all. Tried starting it, and as expected, oil poured from the fitting.

Anyone have a solution for fixing this that doesn't include pulling the cylinder head? I was thinking maybe I could tap it for a tapered pipe thread fitting that I could put the banjo into or something like that... There is no hope of drilling for a heli-coil with the engine in the car.

I have a new rebuild late injection cylinder head coming, but I was planning that for a full engine rebuild in the fall/ winter. Was hoping to enjoy the car for the summer. Help!

icsamerica 07-07-2016 04:39 PM

I would use a timesert. To drill it out...try an angle drill with the proper size drill bit cut down so that it sticks out of the chuck just enough. Install the timesert with thread locker just proud of the sealing surface, wait for the thread locker to cure over night then file flush. Fill with grease to catch the filings and then remove the grease with a tooth pick.

JagCad 07-08-2016 07:14 AM

That is the more elegant option.

I offer two far less elegant options:

1. Way back when, the freeze plug in the back part of the left head in my 58 Pontiac Star Chief let go. Clearly, I should have pulled it. other issues deterred me. So, I did a bodge. Drilled from the footwell. several little holes til I could create an opening of a bout 2" in diameter. A slide hammer got the holed plug out. A drift and hammer got the new one in. I cleaned up the hole and made a cover secured with sheet metal screws and gasket cement. Desperate men do desperate things. Not recommended for your Jaguar. In view of it's architecture probably not feasible anyway....

2. You just might salvage enough thread to get a bite by making a rudimentary self tapping fastener. Two saw cut across it's face, at 90 degrees. Grind just a hint of a taper on the nose. Carefully try to run it in.

I love my 90 degree cordless. But, bummer, it's battery has bit the dust. HF sourced. I well know that a replacement battery, if I can find one, will cost about the same as another drill!!!

Carl

Grant Francis 07-09-2016 03:49 AM

Its been a while.

There were longer banjo bolts available a while back. A guy in the USA I think??

They are the same "banjo bolt" as the V12 set up.

Our S2 V12 stripped the RH thread in the alloy tappet block. Well I stripped it, not the car. The spare engine showed there was HEAPS of thread further down the hole, just that Jaguar used the first 4 or 5 threads only by using that shorter bolt. Costs for a longer bolt probably damaged the profits?.

I simply made a longer banjo bolt. 3/8 UNC comes to mind, and drilled a hole down its guts, then cross drilled the oil feed holes (using the old bolt as a pattern), and all done. Its still there and the car never even knew what I did.

SableXJ6C 07-09-2016 07:59 AM

Excellent advice guys! I did find that XK's Unlimited sells longer banjo bolts for this very repair. I was thinking of using the Loctite thread repair epoxy, but I checked around an no one has it in stock. I checked the threaded hole in the head with my inspection camera, and the threads DO go way in there. A longer banjo will surely cure this problem. My only beef is that XK's requires a minimum $25 order, and then they charge me $14 for shipping a couple of tiny items that would be fine in an envelope...

Doug 07-09-2016 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by SableXJ6C (Post 1495320)
My only beef is that XK's requires a minimum $25 order, and then they charge me $14 for shipping a couple of tiny items that would be fine in an envelope...

Did you actually talk to someone? Or is this just from the on-line ordering page?

If the latter I suggest giving them a buzz.

Seemingly crazy shipping charges are often the result of some sort of pricing matrix that doesn't 'know' what is actually being shipped. As often as not a phone call results in a reduction of charges to a reasonable level

Cheers
DD

Grant Francis 07-09-2016 09:17 AM

Even so, $40 will not get the head off and repaired.

Doug is right of course, and a simple call may make a difference, but at the end of the day its just $40.

JagCad 07-09-2016 09:21 AM

Oh, yeah, online stuff is way behind people to people interface.

1. Nose to nose.

3. Telephone.

4. On line/

5. Snail mail.

Levels of communication in descending order.

Carl

JagCad 07-09-2016 09:24 AM

Even with my restricted budget, it would be worth the $40.00
to get out of that pickle!!!

Carl