Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Xj6 is fan clutch center bolt reverse thread? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/xj6-fan-clutch-center-bolt-reverse-thread-218685/)

osyris 06-04-2019 04:06 AM

Xj6 is fan clutch center bolt reverse thread?

Early model s3 , 1980 xj6.
It has (torquotral fan near radiator)fan clutch on a central spindle fron the water pump, ie one central bolt, like on the s2 i understand.
I need to remove this bolt, but am unsure if it is a normal or a reverse thread.
Can anyone give guidance
Regards
Peter

Grant Francis 06-04-2019 05:51 AM

Bloody hell, that is stretching the brain cells, and a large JD is slowly crossing the lips, activating the grey matter.

Normal thread, and I have had hundreds of them out, but the answer was slow in coming. Hold the hex 32mm on the backside and simple undo.

osyris 06-04-2019 05:59 PM

G'day Grant!!
I figure i need to replace the bugger when i get it out. Fan clutch is seized and makes squealing noises now and then.
Is there some affordable replacement part?
Peter

Grant Francis 06-04-2019 09:58 PM

OOPS.

Fan clutch has possibly spun on the pump snout, and sheared the locating pin out of teh :special" washer that is behind that bolt.

Some have claimed Commodore fan clutches fit, dunno.

I have always use a Dayco brand whenever I have kept the fan in lieu of E fans.

BUT

The Dayco site lists 115765 which is WRONG, as that clutch is the 4 bolt style for the later cars with the plastic fan.

Yours would have the steel fan blades, I think, so the same clutch assy as the S2 6cyl.

Maybe ring Doug at JagDaim in Melbourne, or Phil at Prestige Spares in Melbourne.

I will keep looking for a part number and come back later if I am successful.

kudzu 06-05-2019 03:29 PM

Hi Peter,
I found the part number for you, it's C45015 and available ( at least in US ) from SNG Barratt, plus others, kinda pricey ! Looking at my 84 Series 3 parts car which also has an earlier engine with the metal fan & single bolt clutch, I'd say it SHOULD be reverse thread to keep it from loosening during normal operation. But since this car might have non-jag parts, no guarantees ! Plus it is British after all !

Drink a Tooheys New for me !
Cheers,
Brian

PS Visited friends Christmas / New Years 2005, hate "big cities" but loved Sydney ! Need to come back and not leave ! Have a workshop I can hide in ? :icon_beerchug:

Grant Francis 06-06-2019 04:50 AM

Peter,

I spoke with Dayco and Davies Craig this PM, about their inaccurate catalogue listing.

The clutch they both list for your car is wrong, as I said before. It is for the later Plastic fan set up.

I had an old clutch in the shed, and sent them both snaps, and measurements, and we will see. I would continue drinking beer, as these guys (polite for Forum safety) will simple say "oops, not one we do, sorry", and still NOT correct their online listings, rubbish at its best.

I suggest Doug or Phil, and mention yours is the single central bolt style, just to be sure.

This is the clutch you need.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...531f325857.jpg

PM me if you need any more assistance, I dont bite, HA.

osyris 06-06-2019 10:00 AM

Grant
your like a walking encyclopedia!
Yes, thats correct ....that one in the pic is the one I have with METAL fan blades.
My car sounds like it has a TURBINE ENGINE now, with JET fan blades making a roaring sound!!

I need to remove that bolt and get this replaced, given the direction of the fan turn (clockwise , standing in front of car looking to rear of car), i suspect it should be a reverse thread on that main bolt.

I will have a go at the REVERSE thread approach .
will send you email!

regards
Peter

osyris 06-06-2019 10:08 AM

Brian
yes thats the one.... i will give a reverse thread a go to see if i can take it out.
I rebuilt that engine a few decades ago, cant remember which way the bolt went in!!!

Is buying the new part the only answer here?.... will something from a toyota fit!!!?

I need that Tooheys now!
Peter

Grant Francis 06-07-2019 02:39 AM

OK, update.

Dayco Aust, Jorg Kempka, has taken all I said on board, and has :

1) Changed the listings.
2) The NEW part # for the steel fan clutch, with Centre Bolt Fixing, is 115849, and available next month.

At least someone is listening in Corporate world, very pleasing.

No idea of other clutches that will fit, and he also checked their spec sheets, and has found nothing else that is suitable.