Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   XJ6 Series 2 Brakes (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/xj6-series-2-brakes-212504/)

Andy F 01-05-2019 03:50 PM

XJ6 Series 2 Brakes

Hi Everyone

Sorry to be a gatecrasher I’m not really a Jag
guy but need some help and thought you guys might be able to help.

Ive purchased an XJ6 front clip with a plan to adapt it to fit my 40’s truck.

The guy I bought the clip from said it came from a series 2 but knows nothing more about it. The clip has brake discs/rotors but no callipers. My query is if buy some series 2 4 pots will they fit? Or is there a risk if it’s an earlier series 2 that they won’t?

Thanks for your help.

Andy F 01-05-2019 03:54 PM

Forgot to mention the discs are vented.

Thanks

Doug 01-05-2019 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Andy F (Post 2009736)
Or is there a risk if it’s an earlier series 2 that they won’t?

I think there's a risk, yes.

I think the 'uprights'....the part that the calipers bolt to....are different and must match the caliper design.

There are probably some identifiers to help you determine if you have an 'early' or 'late' set-up. Hopefully someone with better info will chime in.

Cheers
DD

icsamerica 01-05-2019 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Andy F (Post 2009736)
Hi Everyone

Sorry to be a gatecrasher I’m not really a Jag
guy but need some help and thought you guys might be able to help.

Ive purchased an XJ6 front clip with a plan to adapt it to fit my 40’s truck.

The guy I bought the clip from said it came from a series 2 but knows nothing more about it. The clip has brake discs/rotors but no callipers. My query is if buy some series 2 4 pots will they fit? Or is there a risk if it’s an earlier series 2 that they won’t?

Thanks for your help.

All series 2 / 3 XJ and XJS front caliper were the same. Just go to RockAuto.com and pickup some calipers for a 1986 XJ6. You're gonna get hurt on the shipping and core charges though.

Doug 01-05-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by icsamerica (Post 2009834)
You're gonna get hurt on the shipping and core charges though.

Yep !

I buy them locally now for that reason

Cheers
DD

Andy F 01-06-2019 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by Doug (Post 2009844)
Yep !

I buy them locally now for that reason

Cheers
DD

was about to say I’m in the UK so would Ng I’d some here but bizarrely they are cheaper to get shipped from the US.

So looking at Rock Auto there are 4 or 1 piston options. From previous replies both will fit with same rotor/disc size and thickness?

Thanks

Doug 01-06-2019 08:47 AM

You should be looking at the 4-piston calipers. The single piston front calipers are for the later series of Jag sedans. I doubt that they'd fit at all. But, obviously, I've been wrong before :)

In 1986-1987 Jaguar was building two very different cars but both carrying "XJ6" badges...so parts cataloging gets confused. If you search for parts using 1985-earlier you won't run into this conflict.

Cheers
DD