XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XJ6 Series 3 - Running Battery Dead Flat.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 01:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ6 Series 3 - Running Battery Dead Flat.

Hello folks,

So while I'm trying to get my Series 3 Sovereign repaired, I thought I'd dust off the Vanden Plas to use as daily transport. The car was robbed of some bits for the Sovereign, but these have all been returned to their rightful home.

Unfortunately, I now have a car that runs the battery dead flat overnight. It has not been driven yet, as the brake light switch is being replaced, but I have now put two fully charged batteries in it, both with the same result. One battery is less than a year old, both heavy duty items.

When I mean flat, not even the courtesy or 'puddle' lights come on - it's as if there is no battery in the car whatsoever.

I have checked all battery connections, in perfectly good order.

Does anybody know what on earth can cause such a problem? I have absolutely no idea where to start on this brand of car. No lights or other accessories have been left on, where could this voltage be leaking to?

As usual, any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm scratching around for transport at the moment.

Cheers,

Paul.

Old 03-11-2015, 05:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,429 Likes on 1,828 Posts

check the obvious first:

once you install a fully charged battery again, remove the trunk / boot light bulb to eliminate the possibility that the light is staying ON even with the trunk lid closed.

check around the car in the dark to see if any lights remain ON, including the safety lights on the back of the doors, which only come on when the door is opened.

check that the radio is OFF, not on "standby", (I say this in case the radio has been replaced with a "modern" radio).

Last edited by Jose; 03-11-2015 at 10:41 AM.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Found the problem - the air-conditioning clutch was shorting out. I now have brake lights that are on permanently, until you depress the brake pedal and they go off.

I have discovered a world of bodged electrical work performed by previous owners, so will need to nut it out before taking her on the road again.

Cheers.

Living The Dream - Two Jaguars That Don't Work!

Old 03-12-2015, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Originally Posted by Undertaker
Found the problem - the air-conditioning clutch was shorting out. I now have brake lights that are on permanently, until you depress the brake pedal and they go off.

I have discovered a world of bodged electrical work performed by previous owners, so will need to nut it out before taking her on the road again.

Cheers.

Living The Dream - Two Jaguars That Don't Work!
If you are new to Jags and are descending into the netherworld of Lucas electrics (even when not screwed up by previous owners) you need to download the s57 wiring diagrams in the how to stickys at the top of this sub forum. This will assist you in the interesting times ahead.

Old 03-12-2015, 08:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Note:

I figured out a lot of things when told by a friendly motorist that my brake lights were out. The hard way, as per my modus operandi!!

There are two switches, side by side, at the top of the brake pedal. One's default position is closed til the pedal is depressed. That is the cruise control interrupt.

The other is the brake light switch. default position, open, til the pedal is depressed.

Hooked up wrong?

Or merely a switch stuck in the closed position.

Access is tons of fun. How do I know???

Carl