Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   XJ6 Series III Black Interior (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/xj6-series-iii-black-interior-66745/)

e21pilot 01-18-2012 01:47 AM

XJ6 Series III Black Interior

I was thinking that the XJ6 Series III had a black interior option but I have never seen one? I can only think of red, blue, tan, and the VDP interior. I have seen Series I or II with black however.

Was black and option at all in a Series III?

Thanks

Doug 01-18-2012 08:14 AM

Black interior in a Ser III? They're out there...but quite unusual. I've only seen 5 or 6 in the flesh and a few more in pictures.

In the USA you're most likely to see a black interior in a 1985 car. Not sure why but I guess someone at Jaguar North America decided it would be a good idea to order more of them that year.

Cheers
DD

vwtechnician 01-18-2012 08:24 AM

One of the reasons I have an XJ is because my father had an 81 Siii from the time I was 1 or 2 and it was our primary family car until I was 14 or so, it was the first car I fell in love with and it got me started on the car bug in general and started my life long love of older Jags. That XJ was black on black so yes, they are certainly out there.

e21pilot 01-26-2012 01:02 AM

I'm a believer now. I ran across are dark grey 85 with a black interior. What I noticed was the door panels didn't have the top wood trim that a 87 does. Other than that, the door panels seemed similar.

My goal was to find a black VDP interior but I've given up on that since there would be so few out there. Instead I might try to make a black interior out of parts from other cars. I wonder if the center consoles are the same between the XJ6 and VDP for a year like 1985?

Doug 01-26-2012 07:10 AM

There a good dyes out there that really work....you can buy any color panels.

There are two console styles, early-late. The easiest way to describe them is "without trip computer style" or "with trip computer style". I think the change was 1983. VDP vs. standard XJ6 makes no difference ...although the VDP consle would have different wood and a leather cubby box lid.

Cheers
DD

e21pilot 01-27-2012 06:30 AM

On the subject of VDP interiors, they really look nice. I notice some differences as well compared to the XJ6 interior such as the different door panels, nicer rear console, burl wood, power passenger seat, rear bench etc.

If I came across a salvage VDP someday, is it possible to do a straight swap into a regular XJ6 or are there hardware and electrical harness difference etc. that would make that very difficult.

Certainly ambitious but the results would be interesting.

Doug 01-27-2012 08:01 AM

It all swaps over. The wiring changes are very minor...well within typical DIY territory. Don't forget to get the rear reading lights, too :-)

Cheers
DD

Fraser Mitchell 01-27-2012 04:08 PM

You may find the extra wires and plugs already on the looms, but taped up out-of-use. It was commonly done this way at Lucas as it was cheaper than making lots of variants and having to support several rather than one.