XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III 1968-1992

XJ6 Series III factory fog lights

Old 04-26-2014, 04:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default XJ6 Series III factory fog lights

I've been told the series III XJ6 cars came prewired for fog lamps.

When I got mine, it had some old Hella lamps mounted under the front bumper.

Now I have some NOS Lucas square 8 fog lamps I would like to put on instead of the old Hellas.

Question is, did the bumper come pre-drilled for fog lamps? If so, where are the holes supposed to be. Mine are about where the bumper frame attachments are. Just wondering if this is factory or not?

Old 04-26-2014, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,338 Likes on 1,088 Posts

yes, all XJ came prewired for auxiliary (Fog or Driving) lights; The factory position falls almost exactly below the inner high-beam headlamps.

but you can use any available pre-drilled hole you find under the front bumper, or drill your own, (very thick aluminum), and you can mount any fog or spot lamp you like. I installed a double duty kit, (Fog and Driving lamps in each housing), which I found at (of all places) at Wal-Mart.

the factory wiring on cars shipped to USA prevents both the headlamps and fog lamps to be ON at the same time. When you turn the Switch to the FOG position, the headlights go OFF.

If you want the ability to have both ON at the same time, you can install the European headlights switch which has more positions and combinations than the American headlights switch, and yet, they both connect to the same wiring plug, no rewiring is needed.

Attached Thumbnails XJ6 Series III factory fog lights-1984-xj6-jose.jpg   XJ6 Series III factory fog lights-euro-switch-xj.jpg  

Last edited by Jose; 04-27-2014 at 10:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Mkii250 (05-10-2014)