Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Xj6 series III for sale in my area (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/xj6-series-iii-sale-my-area-116814/)

MarylaLuna 04-28-2014 11:07 PM

Xj6 series III for sale in my area

I midposted a 1986 vdp in the xj40 and there is a 1983 base on Craigslist too.
Any big red flags?

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4383304233.html

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/4383304233.html

Texted the owners and will go look at both this wkend

I am on a mission...bday present to myself !

Jose 04-29-2014 07:23 AM

now you cookin ! the 1986 is the one you deserve! Happy Birthday!

john_cook12 04-29-2014 08:10 AM

whoa - very nice! milage a little high but that is one clean looking car. If the suspension, AC, and headliner are all in as good of condition as these photos of the body and interior, that is a very good bargain. I paid around ~2100 for mine and I've about spent the difference getting mine close to this quality (though my engine bay is far dirtier). I vote yes!

MarylaLuna 04-29-2014 04:54 PM

It's my bday and I'll get a jag if I want to

Originally Posted by Jose (Post 964559)
now you cookin ! the 1986 is the one you deserve! Happy Birthday!

Thx!

MarylaLuna 04-29-2014 05:04 PM

Thx for price comparison

Going to check it out in Thurs, I will let ya know how it truely is.

Originally Posted by john_cook12 (Post 964611)
whoa - very nice! milage a little high but that is one clean looking car. If the suspension, AC, and headliner are all in as good of condition as these photos of the body and interior, that is a very good bargain. I paid around ~2100 for mine and I've about spent the difference getting mine close to this quality (though my engine bay is far dirtier). I vote yes!

MarylaLuna 05-01-2014 09:34 PM

Series III VDP in OC. Questionable

Punch list :
1. Sluggish acceleration
2. Coil replaced
3. A/c not full cool
4. Good interior
5. All lights work
6. Truck and fender appears to have body work and paint
7. No records
8. Recently acquired
9. New battery
10. Water pump or front engine or fan clutch rattle
11. Valve cover gasket W red sealant And oil on bottom of engine
12. Gas pedal stiff
13. transmission fluid on bottom bolts
14. Rear rotors looked grooved
15. He volunteered to drop it off a jag dealership for inspection if I paid, then said he had other people looking at it this Wkend, when he was only available today.
16. A light clunk in rear when braked at light.
17. Smooth and no vibration drive
18. Engine wasn't silent and no guts
19. Rust at edge of windshield w paint buckle
20. Every time turned ignition it was hesitant and needed recranked

MarylaLuna 05-01-2014 10:16 PM

Little sad

Originally Posted by john_cook12 (Post 964611)

Mechanics questionable and can't have it inspected. :-( I didn't even bring cash do I didn't fall in love w it and throw him theiney without taking it to Jag mechanic

john_cook12 05-02-2014 11:01 AM

oh. not such a great deal then it sounds.

the search continues!

MarylaLuna 05-02-2014 11:30 AM

Thanks to you all and the forums

I had my checklists and an expert friend who knows the reflags. And how a jag should should drive. He is A custom hotrod and Harley painter that noticed the different flecks in the paint, punstripe tape and slight misalignment in the boot

LnrB 05-02-2014 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by MarylaLuna (Post 966407)
Mechanics questionable and can't have it inspected. :-( I didn't even bring cash do I didn't fall in love w it and throw him theiney without taking it to Jag mechanic

I've followed your search with interest, Maryla. If I may add a bit from my own experience buying used cars from individuals; If you have any doubt, any doubt at all, Don't! Wait for The One.

My own car had none of the issues on your punch list and was Immaculate in appearance inside and out. It ran well, shifted well, A/C worked Really well; suspicions were Brand new radial tires and new battery. That was an indication no had driven the car for some time (battery) and there was a handling problem (new radial tires), which turned out to be merely a worn tie rod end.

Nevertheless, in this first 7 months of my ownership I have repaired, adjusted or replaced no fewer than 80 items, ranging from blown courtesy lights to broken speedo cable, to removal/repair of both heater blowers, to brake master/booster replacement. After all this work and money I Finally have a car I feel is reliable and that I can depend on to take me anywhere I want to go with no major issues, no matter how far I might from home.

If you're not comfortable sinking a lot of time, work and money into this car, then move on.
(';')

Doug 05-02-2014 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by MarylaLuna (Post 966398)
Punch list :
1. Sluggish acceleration

I'm afraid these cars are sluggish on their best day, compared to modern cars. And some amount of engine noise is perfectly normal.

It'll be a rare day indeed to find a 25-30 year old XJ6 that doesn't need at least a few repairs. Some of the items are your list are easy fixes, others perhaps not.

Cheers
DD

Jymrod 05-05-2014 11:46 AM

Xj6

I have a XJ6 with a LT1 engine and transmision for sale if interested.
The car has been restored inside and out. Rides and drives great and is very fast. I have a huge stack of restoration receipts.

If interseted picture are in my gallery.
Jym

86jag 05-05-2014 09:37 PM

Both of my two xj6 have stiff pedals. I have changed out the cables, cleaned up and lubed throttle body springs, and the throttle pedal springs. The only thing that made any noticeable difference was the cable replacement. Good luck I your hunt, I will second what others have said and that is find one that you are capable of doing the work on. For example my current project car I was looking for a great body and paint since those are skills I don't have, but I am comfortable with minor interior work, and major mechanical work.

MarylaLuna 05-06-2014 07:34 AM

Thanks to All

Thanks for all your opinions on what the issues may be with my punch list.
Just shady when I not allowed to take it to mech antic, Since I can't quote repairs off the top of my head upon seeing and driving an old car like you all can. So, no jag. Wait until I retire and kids off the school.

LnrB 05-06-2014 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by MarylaLuna (Post 969574)
Thanks for all your opinions on what the issues may be with my punch list.
Just shady when I not allowed to take it to mech antic, Since I can't quote repairs off the top of my head upon seeing and driving an old car like you all can. So, no jag. Wait until I retire and kids off the school.

Yes, Shady indeed. I would see Major Red Flags in that situation.

It's just that some of us have experience buying used cars from individuals (sometimes a couple generations of experience), and so we know by looking into their eyes if they're lying to us (a guy has got to be Really Devious if you can't tell he's lying to you), if they really have no clue, or they've just got bored with it.

If you keep an eye out, eventually The One will come along and everything will fall into place.

Just don't give up on your dream. Sometimes that's all we have left.
(';')