Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   xj6 will not start (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/xj6-will-not-start-130405/)

gray cat 11-04-2014 12:58 PM

xj6 will not start

my 86 xj6 will turn over just fine ................although it will not start up

plugs and plug wires are quite new , has a fresh air filter , a quite new fuel filter

not sure how to diagnose this ..............fuel pump , distributor cap possible fixes ?

Paul.S 11-04-2014 09:10 PM

Here's a couple quick tests to get you headed in the right direction:

Pull a plug wire and attach it to an old plug, ground the plug to the engine and watch for a spark while someone hits the starter. No spark, ignition problem.

Pull the air filter, hold the air flow meter flap open and squirt in a 2 second blast of starter fluid or a couple tablespoons of gas. Crank it, if it starts you have a fuel problem. -Paul

Paul.S 11-04-2014 09:53 PM

No spark in above test? Pull the high voltage coil wire from the distributor, hook up the plug and run the test again. Spark? Suspect the cap, rotor or plug wires.

Still no spark? Suspect the high voltage coil wire, coil, magic box or ignitor. Test + terminal of coil for 12V. No? If you have a ballast resistor (look for it mounted on the coil), test it for 12V on the terminal opposite the coil. No? Suspect the ignition switch or the wire running from it to the coil or resistor. -Paul

Paul.S 11-05-2014 12:11 AM

If it is a fuel problem I would suggest starting with an empty clear 2 or 3 liter soda bottle well secured on the ground and a length of 3/8 clear pcv tubing (Loes sells it by foot) long enough to run from it to the barb on the fuel rail that feeds the cold start injector.

Now is the to make a plan to keep you and your baby safe from going up in a big ball of fire. Have near by a fire extinguisher, a large old towel to smother flames, a roll of paper towels to soak up spills, and a fire proof container to throw them in. Have someone you can trust behind the wheel to quickly turn the ignition off if things go wrong. Have a gas can handy to dump the soda bottle in.

Remove the air cleaner parts till you can touch the the flap in the air flow meter. Place a wad of paper towels and a small container or funnel connected to the tubing/soda bottle under the fuel barb to catch the draining fuel, pull off the fuel line. Attach the tubing and feed it into the soda bottle.

Turn the ignition on. Get a good view of about a foot long section of the tubing and press the flap of the air flow meter to fool the car into turning on the fuel pump. Look for a steady stream of bubbles streaking by with the gas as the air in the fuel rail is flushed out. Let it run for a few seconds till you can be sure that the soda bottle is filling at a steady rate and there are a few inches of gas, then let the flap go back to shut off the gas.

If you get a good flow of gas, take a good look at the gas in the bottle. It should be crystal clear with nothing floating or settling to the bottom. If not, get enough cans and use the tubing to empty the tank into the cans. Add gas to the tank about a gallon at a time and run it dry a few times till good looking gas come out.

If the flow is weak, suspect a clog.

If there is no flow, listen for the fuel pump to turn on when you push in the flap (its in the back). No sound? Suspect the pump or the air flow meter.

There many other things that could be the problem, but if the above doesn't locate it, it should at least help you track it down. -Paul

gray cat 11-06-2014 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Paul.S (Post 1094268)
If it is a fuel problem I would suggest starting with an empty clear 2 or 3 liter soda bottle well secured on the ground and a length of 3/8 clear pcv tubing (Loes sells it by foot) long enough to run from it to the barb on the fuel rail that feeds the cold start injector.

Now is the to make a plan to keep you and your baby safe from going up in a big ball of fire. Have near by a fire extinguisher, a large old towel to smother flames, a roll of paper towels to soak up spills, and a fire proof container to throw them in. Have someone you can trust behind the wheel to quickly turn the ignition off if things go wrong. Have a gas can handy to dump the soda bottle in.

Remove the air cleaner parts till you can touch the the flap in the air flow meter. Place a wad of paper towels and a small container or funnel connected to the tubing/soda bottle under the fuel barb to catch the draining fuel, pull off the fuel line. Attach the tubing and feed it into the soda bottle.

Turn the ignition on. Get a good view of about a foot long section of the tubing and press the flap of the air flow meter to fool the car into turning on the fuel pump. Look for a steady stream of bubbles streaking by with the gas as the air in the fuel rail is flushed out. Let it run for a few seconds till you can be sure that the soda bottle is filling at a steady rate and there are a few inches of gas, then let the flap go back to shut off the gas.

If you get a good flow of gas, take a good look at the gas in the bottle. It should be crystal clear with nothing floating or settling to the bottom. If not, get enough cans and use the tubing to empty the tank into the cans. Add gas to the tank about a gallon at a time and run it dry a few times till good looking gas come out.

If the flow is weak, suspect a clog.

If there is no flow, listen for the fuel pump to turn on when you push in the flap (its in the back). No sound? Suspect the pump or the air flow meter.

There many other things that could be the problem, but if the above doesn't locate it, it should at least help you track it down. -Paul

I have the whole weekend to get her going again , this will be a big help !!!!!!!!

Paul.S 11-06-2014 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by gray cat (Post 1095184)
I have the whole weekend to get her going again , this will be a big help !!!!!!!!

Glad I could help. Post results as you get them and I will try to help you narrow things down. -Paul

noone019870 11-07-2014 06:21 PM

like Paul.S suggested, i would check the fuel to make sure that there is no water in the tank, it takes only a 1/5 gallon of water in one tank to put that tank out of commission and 3 to 5 tank switch-overs to put the other tank out of commission, and water don't burn unless under a very low vacuum and a VERY high power spark, close to that of a lightning bolt, is sent through it (not possible in conventional equipment).