Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJ6 & XJ12 Series I, II & III (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/)
-   -   Zerk Fittings (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xj6-xj12-series-i-ii-iii-16/zerk-fittings-215612/)

sanchez 03-27-2019 06:26 AM

Zerk Fittings

Hello all,
As per what I read, there are supposed to be 10 zerk fittings on the rear suspension of the Series 3.
I have located 3 on each side. Where are the other ones?

Grant Francis 03-27-2019 07:20 AM

2 = inner fulcrum bearings, thru the holes in the lower tie plate.
i = outer lower fulcrum, starring at you basically under the hub lower pivot.
2 = each joint of the halfshaft, possibly covered by the stupid tin rattller covers.

Thats 5 a side.

iramphal 03-27-2019 07:44 AM

Now I know where to look, how many "pumps" should each one get? Can you damage a seal by applying too much grease/pressure?

Grant Francis 03-27-2019 08:51 AM

3 Attachment(s)
NO set pumps as such, as different size grease guns release more or less per stroke.

I use a Mini Trigger style, and COMMON sense as to how much and so on.

When greasing LISTEN, and LISTEN CAREFULLY, and pull the trigger SLOWLY, and you will hear the "squish" type sound of air being expelled via the seals, STOP NOW, thats all it needs.

Too much, and the seals may be damaged, and also too much just makes a bloody mess.

The outer fulcrum is different and a very stupid design. There is a bleed hole directly above the grease fitting, and the excess grease you can merrily pump in there, thinking you are doing a tremendous job, is oozing out of that hole and merrily filling the tube of the lower suspension arm, told ya it was a dumb idea.

This is MY fix, and I have done every inboard brake Jag I have owned, or maintained for a very long time, and with that bleed hole plugged, the grease will actually get INTO those end bearings.

sanchez 03-27-2019 12:12 PM

I guess I have to remove the tin covers over the half shaft joints to access the zerk fittings there. There is a hole on the tin covers but I do not see the zerk fittings.
Maybe the PO did some work there and did not line up the hole with the zerk fitting.
To IAN, my grease gun use compressed air to operate. I can control the grease flow by how much I pull the trigger.

iramphal 03-27-2019 03:53 PM

Thanks to Grant and Sanchez, Saved Grant's greasing method and will follow Sanchez's ideas. -- Great thanks!

LnrB 03-28-2019 02:23 AM

Um, one of the first things I learned as a wee lass was to listen for the air escaping from the grease seal, and Stop Pumping before blowing it out.

It's interesting what watching real life teaches you, that your own elders weren't so unreasonable after all.
(';')

Grant Francis 03-28-2019 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by sanchez (Post 2046480)
I guess I have to remove the tin covers over the half shaft joints to access the zerk fittings there. There is a hole on the tin covers but I do not see the zerk fittings.
Maybe the PO did some work there and did not line up the hole with the zerk fitting.
To IAN, my grease gun use compressed air to operate. I can control the grease flow by how much I pull the trigger.

Those tin covers are a PITA, and I remove them whenever I find them. Many strange rattles have gone when they have gone, odd, but fact.

BUT

If the car is uses on "salt applied" rods, then maybe, at a stretch, they help those areas a tad, not convinced.

I have NEVER found the holes line up, no what "angle of the dangle", or beers consumed method I use, so OFF with them, less weight, more speed, winner.