Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   1993 XJS power seat stuck in back position (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/1993-xjs-power-seat-stuck-back-position-186177/)

RMA 07-23-2017 10:10 PM

1993 XJS power seat stuck in back position

The forward/back seat motor quit and the seat rail is in the almost full back position. I need to remove the seat to change out the motor, but I cannot access the two rear bolts that attach the seat rail to the floor because they are covered by the upper part of the seat rail. Please help!

MHF25 07-24-2017 10:25 AM

Have you check the seat fuses? You didn't mention if the seat was the driver or passenger. Their fuses are in the under-dash L/R fuse boxes.

RMA 07-24-2017 02:59 PM

Yes I did check the fuse first thing. It is the passenger seat. I ran 12V directly to the forward-back motor wires and got nothing. I then ran the test leads to the recline motor wires and also the bolster motor wires and both worked normally. I'm quite sure that the forward-back motor is no longer working and needs to be replaced.

MHF25 07-24-2017 06:59 PM

ttps://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk/jaguar-xjs-v179737-v226645-parts/seating/seat-slides-and-adjusters/seat-slide-front-motorised

This might help in viewing what is under the seat..

RMA 07-24-2017 07:47 PM

This problem really has me stumped!
I am wondering what a technician at a Jaguar dealership would have done if an XJS like mine came in for repair with this same problem during the warranty period!

MHF25 07-25-2017 10:27 AM

In the Jag-lover's forum there are several messages in regard to the stuck XJS seat. Here is one link: https://forums.jag-lovers.com/t/xj-s...removal/327156. Go to the Jag-lover's forum. Type in xjs power seat motor removal.

I believe this will solve your dilemma.

Mert
93 XJS coupe

RMA 07-26-2017 03:12 PM

Hi MHF25, I just checked it out, and my drive system (and probably yours) is different than that of a '92 XJS. The '92 has a long screw drive on each side of the seat rail and it does look like if you disconnect the forward end of the rod that it will move inward enough to disengage itself from the slots in the side of the seat rail. I believe that this would work perfectly on the '92 and possibly earlier models.
Our '93s are a different setup. There are two very short drive shafts that drive small 90 degree gearboxes, on each side of the inner seat rails. To complicate it even more, the outside shaft goes through a potentiometer that senses the position of the seat.

RMA 07-26-2017 04:48 PM

https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/i...ges/mt5208.png

trojian 06-14-2018 10:45 AM

Did anyone figure the seat removal out? I have a '96 and the passenger seat needs to be removed. I can get at the front torx bolts but not the back. I can't see a way to get at them and all the bolts to remove the seat from the frame are inexcessible. Is there a way to slide the gears out of the way to slide the seat forward.
https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/i...ges/mt5208.png

The only other thing I can think about is to try and use a reciprocating saw to cut the back bolts off, but I know its not going to be pretty. Help please.

Timeisrelative 11-19-2018 07:20 PM

Just wondered if you ever got the bolts out? My drivers seat is stuck in the far forward position which doesn't work for my 6'6ish body very well lol!

trojian 11-19-2018 07:41 PM

Yes I did. On the '95-'96 cars you remove the two pins located on item 3 on the diagram. Remove the screw holding the small metal plate located at number 3, then pull the 3 inch shaft gears, 10ish star shape, Once removed you can push the seat forward and backwards. Mine required a sledge hammer to convince the seat to move. Once repaired the pins need to be placed back to hold the seat in place.

You then can figure out why it wasn't working. My was just seized and removing it and adjust the seat to be in alignment it worked fine.

I hope that helps.

Timeisrelative 11-19-2018 07:45 PM

Awesome! I know what Im doing tomorrow, as well as trying to get my alternator pivot bolt unstuck! Thanks!

Timeisrelative 11-19-2018 08:31 PM

Just to ask, and Im guessing it will be fairly obvious when I look tomorrow, but can you just use pliers to remove the pins? Is it just on the right side at #3 or the left side also. Sorry just want to have a good idea for tomorrow

Timeisrelative 11-20-2018 01:55 PM

Just got done! I still didn't see the "pins" until I undid the torq boltand pulled the first one out and I was like "oh duh!" I gave it a couple good smacks and it went back! I still plan on pulling the seat, but I finally know that I should be able to drive it! Yay!

Dennis1980 03-03-2019 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by RMA (Post 1728634)
Hi MHF25, I just checked it out, and my drive system (and probably yours) is different than that of a '92 XJS. The '92 has a long screw drive on each side of the seat rail and it does look like if you disconnect the forward end of the rod that it will move inward enough to disengage itself from the slots in the side of the seat rail. I believe that this would work perfectly on the '92 and possibly earlier models.
Our '93s are a different setup. There are two very short drive shafts that drive small 90 degree gearboxes, on each side of the inner seat rails. To complicate it even more, the outside shaft goes through a potentiometer that senses the position of the seat.

Hello I have a 94 xjs convertible And the passenger seat does not move . I used your method to adjust it, but was wondering if you know where there is a relay for it. I think mine might be bad? The switch is defiantly good . And none of the functions work . The seat just doesn't move , doesn't even try? When I push the buttons there is nothing , no click , no noise , nothing? It looks there is a separate motor for each function and I find it hard to believe that all 3 would go bad at once so that's why I'm thinking that if all the power comes through one relay to the seat than that would likely be the problem? Just don't have any idea where it is? Any body know where it is and if my thinking is correct about what is going on?

RMA 03-04-2019 09:04 AM

XJS power seat circuit

Sorry, I don't know if there are any relays in the power seat circuit. There are definitely common blade fuses, and they are located under the steering column and the glove box.
Does anyone else know if there are any relays?

carsnplanes 03-04-2019 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by RMA (Post 2035162)
Sorry, I don't know if there are any relays in the power seat circuit. There are definitely common blade fuses, and they are located under the steering column and the glove box.
Does anyone else know if there are any relays?

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f58a428ad6.jpg

Dennis1980 03-04-2019 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by carsnplanes (Post 2035172)

Thank You! So I'm guessing that the "passenger seat control module" would be the culprit ? Any idea where that is? I had the seat out but couldn't figure out how to unplug it?

carsnplanes 03-04-2019 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis1980 (Post 2035369)
Thank You! So I'm guessing that the "passenger seat control module" would be the culprit ? Any idea where that is? I had the seat out but couldn't figure out how to unplug it?

It's under the foot well carpet just in front of the seat itself. You have to peel up the mat, carpet under it and black foam . The seat connectors plug into the box. The box harness has a ground wire nearby. Check for water sitting on floor, grounds etc. Unplug and plug the connectors back in and try. Swap boxes from left to right for troubleshooting assuming the driver's module is the same as the pax.

Dennis1980 03-04-2019 06:53 PM

Awesome! I won't be able to work on it prob till the weekend , I will let you know, thanks again!