Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   1993 XJS V12 fan is always on (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/1993-xjs-v12-fan-always-2933/)

devic 10-22-2007 02:53 PM

1993 XJS V12 fan is always on

Hi everyone, Ive been working on my grandmothers jag for a bit. its a 93 xjs v12. this thing has some problems. 1st i replaced the crossmember because she cant park for crap, and damaged the hell out of it. i did not touch anything electrical or break anything. anyways, i come back from a test drive with the car, and the driver side fan will not turn off. the car never overheated. i have the keys out of the damn car for hours and the fans are still on. i had to pull the relay to stop them so it doesnt kill the battery. please help, does anyone know of any issue like this?

-Doug

ken@britishparts.com 10-22-2007 04:53 PM

RE: 1993 XJS V12 fan is always on

I would start with the relay itself.

devic 10-22-2007 05:00 PM

i swapped the relays, still went on, went to the coolant temp sensor in the front of the engine, and pulled off the top connector and that shut the fan off. that wire has power to it. i cant figure out why its staying on, the fuses are good, relays are good, connections are on.

anyone have a service manual for these cars to download?

ken@britishparts.com 10-22-2007 05:36 PM

Sounds like the switch is the culprit.

devic 10-22-2007 08:48 PM

you mean the coolant temp sensor? thats what im thinkin too. do these cars have the fan come on automatically after the car is off, sorry i dont know too much about these things

Panhof 10-23-2007 12:38 AM

Well being Paranoid about the overheating problem I am doing what one of the posters suggested and installing a double fan. I bought it from a later model Jaguar and it will fit perfectly. XJ I think. One of the problems with the XJS and that huge V12 is that when the car is turned off after driving All that heat in the engine compartment has no where to go. In the later models like mine, the electric fan stays on for a time. I'm going to install the double fan and I hope that will solve any worries that I may have or come across regarding overheating. I have heard that overheat it once and youmore than likely toasted the engine. Don't know if thats true but thats been the scuttlebutt i have heard! Good Topic though...

devic 10-23-2007 08:03 AM

the more i looked at everything in the engine bay, someone fricken hacked the wiring for the a/c clutch. theres a relay thats spliced into a relay... im like omfg. i just dont understand why this is happening all of a sudden now when its in my hands but didnt do this crap before. i didnt touch anything electrical to do the crossmember, besides remove a ground which i already put back on.

Panhof 10-23-2007 10:38 AM

Yes I own ~ have owned many cars as i am sure many people have. You know the old saying, he who dies with the most toys wins!

Anyway, I always make sure if i am going to have a car for any period of time I like to know that it has been well maintained and not had like you put it hacked up everywhere. Especially a car like an XJS.

Reasoning being that if something goes wrong you candiagnose it like it should and fix it easily without Trying to make right on a bad earlier repair.

I'm Lucky my XJS is a low mileage car that has only seen Jaguar dealerships during its almost twenty year life.

Good luck with your car and the little BS things that appear to be happening. Its only money as they say...:)

devic 11-19-2007 09:58 AM

We figured it out, bad thermostatic switch on the thermostat housing, replaced and works fine now

rodfarah 12-08-2008 08:31 PM

Hi Doug, what steps did you take to remove the crossmember? thanks Rod

afterburner1 10-09-2017 12:36 AM

I didn't know they made 12's in 1993?

Jagboi64 10-09-2017 12:42 AM

You do realize this thread is 10 years old?

But to answer your question, they made the V12 right to the end in 1996. Not for the USA market ( I think 95 was the last year there) but the rest of the world got the V12 later.

Similar for the X300 sedans, 96 in the USA, 97 for the ROW.