XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

90 XJS Won’t Start

Old 06-07-2018, 08:01 PM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 90 XJS Won’t Start

So, I started it up and pulled it out for a wash. Washed it, added just a couple oz. of Lucas engine oil stop leak as it has a minor drip underneath onto the floor and when I tried to start it up, it will turn over but not start.

Any ideas? I have the battery on a charger, but cant think of what happened.

Old 06-07-2018, 08:02 PM

Also, the last time I tried to start it, I hit the accelerator and now there is a gas smell in my garage.

Old 06-07-2018, 09:55 PM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Assuming a V12????????

Starting a V12 and then shutting it down before any real temperature has been reached, is a HUGE no no.

Then the dreaded gas pedal pumping, oh dear, you have squirted fuel into the thing and its flooded.

Let it dry out, a day or 2 is the normal time, and all should be fine.

Old 06-07-2018, 10:56 PM

Yes, V12. Got it started took it down the road, everything seemed fine...then after about 8 miles at about 60mph - I lost the engined and coasted to a stop.

Coil wire, alternator, electrical????

Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 AM
Received 10,285 Likes on 6,806 Posts

Oops.

The shut down:

1) Was it instant, as in a switch being flicked

OR

2) It spluttered to a stop.

Alternator has ZERO to do with this, so forget it. As long as the alternator is charging, thats all it needs to do.

Being a Marelli equipped car, I strongly suggest reading ALL the notes on the Marelli system, and its quirks, usually over a bottle of fine wine, its that long.

The servicing of that car now raises its ugly head:

How old is the fuel filter, dont know, change it.
How old are the spark plug, dont know, change them.
How old are the HT leads, same ask, change them.
The distributor cap and rotor are the main issue with these beasts, and when you have digested the notes on that section, you can check/modify yours.

There are 2 (TWO) crank sensors, one at the front, one at the rear, and they, and the wires related to them, give grief.

The igniters, one for each coil, mounted on the radiator top panel, also have their issues.

The list goes on, and is looooong, and you will need to work very systematically through the systems and find the issue/s and fix them.

My extended time with the V12's usually has an errant wire that reeks havoc, and finding that wire can sometimes take weeks.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-08-2018 at 08:16 PM. Reason: spelling still sucks
Old 06-08-2018, 06:40 AM

It was instant....I was accelerating at about 60mph then it just turned off...I sprayed water into the front grill area when I was washing it....i had no problems before I gave it a bath.

Old 06-08-2018, 12:12 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Pull off a coil wire and connect to an old spark plug and ground the electrode (just by laying it on the engine. If you have spark then it might be the rotor. If no spark, then probably one of the 2 crank sensors.

The following users liked this post:
David Stevens (06-30-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by Kariblay
It was instant....I was accelerating at about 60mph then it just turned off...I sprayed water into the front grill area when I was washing it....i had no problems before I gave it a bath.
Hi Kariblay

Spraying Water into an XJS is one of the 7 deadly sins and I've even accidentally done it myself, it was only a few drops but it played havoc with the engine

Which was making such a crazy noise I thought I'd dropped a Valve, though fortunately it was Summer, so I left the Bonnet/Hood up all day so she could be warmed by the Sun

After which I started her up and She was ok after that

Kariblay (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Kariblay

Spraying Water into an XJS is one of the 7 deadly sins and I've even accidentally done it myself, it was only a few drops but it played havoc with the engine

Which was making such a crazy noise I thought I'd dropped a Valve, though fortunately it was Summer, so I left the Bonnet/Hood up all day so she could be warmed by the Sun

After which I started her up and She was ok after that
Orange,

its really curious to me that it would start and seemingly run fine for several miles, then lose the engine suddenly. If it is/was water, I may never wash it again!

Old 06-08-2018, 04:11 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Kariblay

Your problem is almost certainly down to Water Splash, which may have traveled along the Vee or got blown about by the Fan

In my Case it was just a few little droplets but the Engine was making such a noise that I thought I'd wrecked it

Wash the Car as much as you like but never let water anywhere near the Engine, a couple of days in the Sunshine with the Bonnet/Hood up and She should be fine

I've even got a Video of it somewhere (it was really that bad!)

Alex (OB)

Kariblay (06-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2018, 09:16 PM

Well, orangeblossum, you were right. I allowed it to dry out and it started right up. You just saved a bunch of troubleshooting headaches on the electrical aspects.

Cheers!

The following 2 users liked this post by Kariblay:
Grant Francis (06-09-2018), orangeblossom (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 10:14 AM
Received 169 Likes on 133 Posts

On the left side at the front of the engine, down in the Vee right beside the air conditioning compressor is a black connector for the front timing sensor. Disconnect and look at both ends for water inside. Any moisture or corrosion will prevent the ignition module from reading the signal and then you experience exactly what happens to you. Sometimes it is the pick-up mounted below the harmonic balancer that reads the fingers on the balancer that has gone bad.

What you describe as symptoms, especially right after using water under the hood (bonnet) points to the front sensor.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:16 AM

I should have mentioned, whenever I disconnect the front sensor, I add a little silicon dielectric grease to keep moisture out.

Fla Steve (06-09-2018)
Old 06-09-2018, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by mikebaker3
On the left side at the front of the engine, down in the Vee right beside the air conditioning compressor is a black connector for the front timing sensor. Disconnect and look at both ends for water inside. Any moisture or corrosion will prevent the ignition module from reading the signal and then you experience exactly what happens to you. Sometimes it is the pick-up mounted below the harmonic balancer that reads the fingers on the balancer that has gone bad.

What you describe as symptoms, especially right after using water under the hood (bonnet) points to the front sensor.
is there a pic or diagram pointing to this black connector for the front timing sensor?

Old 06-11-2018, 06:08 PM

I took a few photos that should help you find the connector

Attached Thumbnails -crank-sensor-connector-disconnected.jpg   -crank-sensor-connector-2.jpg   -crank-sensor-connector-3.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by mikebaker3:
kjopen (06-12-2018), orangeblossom (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:26 PM
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Many thanks Mikebaker3, this is really handy to make a note for future troubleshooting!

orangeblossom (06-12-2018)
Old 06-12-2018, 07:50 PM

One further note on the front sensor. It is secured with two clamps on the front left of the timing cover. If you have to change one, don't reinstall the clamps.

There is nothing that will **** you off like trying to get the camps out of the way while on the side of the road.

Carry a spare sensor, a coat hangar and about two feet of twine. I had to snake the coat hangar from the top down and tie the twine to the hangar and the other end to the sensor connector and snake the cable from the bottom up. Keep a 8mm wrench as part of your tool kit to get the two bolts that secure the sensor under the crank.

Attached Thumbnails -front-crank-sensor-clamp.jpg   -front-crank-sensor-clamp-2.jpg  
orangeblossom (06-12-2018)
Old 06-14-2018, 06:59 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

It could also be the rear flywheel sensor.

Old 06-16-2018, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Kariblay
Well, orangeblossum, you were right. I allowed it to dry out and it started right up. You just saved a bunch of troubleshooting headaches on the electrical aspects.

Cheers!
Well, she’s not starting again, no water intrusion this time, cranks, but won’t turn over.

Started to go out with my wife for a short ride, started right up....got 100 yards down the road and the engine just stopped. Was able to start it back up...another 300 yards and this time, it will not start.

anyone want to buy it?! Causing me more stress at this point - two tows in less than a week and can’t identify a person or shop that wants to help me.

Old 06-16-2018, 12:16 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Kariblay

If She was running Ok before you got water in her, then I really can't see anything else that it could be and maybe it hasn't had a chance to dry itself off properly

The only quick fix that I can suggest is to disconnect those plugs where they push together and them give them a blast of Warm Air from a hand held Hair Dryer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 90 XJS Won’t Start