XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cleaning leather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 10:13 PM
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Cleaning leather?

'85 XJ-S coupe with bisuit interior in really excellent shape. Unfortunately the car sat for a long time and the interior, while in excellent shape, is very dirty and in fact, I have a lot of places where mold is growing on the leather.

What's the best way to deep-clean my leather without damaging it, and especially remove the mold? I bought some stuff at the local place while buying brake parts (Lexol) and it really didn't do a damn thing. Can I use a scrub brush? Some spots, especially the center console armrest, are very dirty but overall there is only one small tear in one seat so I am really trying to preserve everthing as much as possible.

Thanks,
Darel

Old 11-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,638 Likes on 1,066 Posts
Default Gliptone was good for me......

I bought four of these, have used them thus far on the 03, the 05, and the 1995. Last one is reserved for the Pickup. Very happy with the results but I didn't have any "serious" dirt to speak of. Maybe some make-up stains in the 03 that the Glipstick made short work of.....and some muddy paw-prints in the 05 b/c a thunderstorm spooked the pups sufficiently that they made "the great escape" and my wife came home from work to look for them, but they found her first and "insisted" on a ride home...would have it no other way, actually.

Amazon.com: Gliptone Professional Automotive Leather Care Kit: Automotive

I did use a scrub-brush of sorts, in addition to the foam bits that came with the kits....this one:

DI Brushes Leather and Vinyl Scrub Brush - Free Shipping Available | Detailed Image

Old 11-16-2011, 03:07 PM
Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts

It may not be the correct way, but I just used simple green to clean mine. I bout the leather cleaner from leatherique but it didnt work for me. Simple green did. After the SG I put on the leather rejuventaor oil from leatherique, which I highly recommend, to re-moisterize.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:32 PM

Are you guys using a scrub brush or is that too abrasive to the leather?

I bought the Lexol cleaner (which really did nothing, but I will probably give it another go after Simple Green to get any residue off) and also a bottle of Lexol conditioner. Is the Lexol conditioner the same idea as the Leatherique rejuvenating oil?

Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

FWIW...

For really heavy dirt I agree that Simple Green would be a good choice. I'd be cautious about using the concentrated stuff, if that's what you have on the shelf. I'd experiment with different dilutions and not go any stronger than needed.

I've had great luck with both Lexol and Leatherique. For leather that's still in decent shape I think Lexol works perfectly well to keep in in good condition. For dried leather, Leatherique is the best....at about 4x the price, of course :-)

Just my 2-cents. Leather treatments are sorta like motor oil and tires....everybody has their own opinion :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 11-16-2011, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  19.3 KB

See below a few links to threads in our detailing section that you might find helpful....

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...er-care-40828/

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/d...uestion-57585/

You can always send a pm to Dave at Inovative detailing and ask his advice?

Good luck

Old 11-16-2011, 07:33 PM

Thanks guys!

Old 05-05-2012, 07:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Have been a Jag owner for almost 2 months now. However, the car has just spent the last 4 weeks in the shop for transmission issues (covered under warranty thank God to the tune of over $3k). Anyway, the mechanic left some grimy fingerprints on the seats and there are some stubborn prints on the door panels. Bought amorall leather cleaner which did almost nothing. Going to try the Simple Green. Thanks for the tip and am so glad I have you guys!

Old 05-05-2012, 08:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Darel,

I would say to get mold and mildew off you need something like simple green. I have used leatherique and it does work. Expensive but it does work. I would clean with simple green then use the leatherique pristine clean followed by the rejuvenating oil. I bought a gallon of each a few years ago when I did my interior over. I still have about 1/2. Buy a quart of each. Lexol is ok for leather that is in good condition but leatherique is better for older dry leather. After 3 or 4 years my seats have gotten almost glove like again.

You can use a toothbrush to scrub the seams and such. Be sure to wipe the whole interior down otherwise you may get the mold back. It would be wise to wear a mask while doing this. If you get mold spores in your lungs you can get pneumonia or legionnaries' disease. Also try the cleaner on a spot that is not noticeable to make sure it does not damage the finish.

You can also email leatherique and ask their advice. Very helpful people. I am sure you are not the first one with moldy leather.

Last edited by Greg Edge; 05-05-2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:08 AM

Boy, this is an old thread! I already spent the entire winter tearing my whole interior out and Leatheriquing the entire thing including redying my front seats and a couple other small panels. Still don't have it back together yet though b/c the car's been sent out for paint for a month now, but my seats look AWESOME - brand new!

BE CAREFUL WITH SIMPLE GREEN! It will remove a small layer of dye so you have to dilute it and not let it sit!

Old 05-06-2012, 12:11 AM

While on the topic, can anyone describe for me the longevity of a Leatherique redye? Honestly I don't even want to sit in my seats now they look so good...I'll shoot myself if they crakc or peel or something after a while. Anyone have a redye that's a year or more old?

Old 05-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Received 50 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Darel
While on the topic, can anyone describe for me the longevity of a Leatherique redye? Honestly I don't even want to sit in my seats now they look so good...I'll shoot myself if they crakc or peel or something after a while. Anyone have a redye that's a year or more old?
Darel,

I did a dye job from Leatherique 4 years ago. Still look good. Very happy with the stuff. I put the conditioner on when I take the car out of storage and when I put her away. If I get ambitious maybe once during the summer.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:32 AM

Good news, thanks!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather,Autolux no grain leather

Dont, Dont , flood leather with water and be very careful with brushes, especially with Autolux leather, foam cleaners are the way to go.......the leather has a coated product which disolves in water as a colour ......then its an expensive item to renew..........

Old 05-06-2012, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

the thing about lexol is it has to be a lot of it in order to lather up so you can remove the dirt.