XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

AJ16 Cylinder Block Pre-heater

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,935 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Default AJ16 Cylinder Block Pre-heater

Hi,

Apols for starting my first day on the Forum with a request for help, but I hope I'll also be able to contribute help to others as time goes on!

I wonder if anyone can help me out on my latest project. I'm fitting a genuine Jaguar cylinder block pre-heating element to my 95 AJ16 XJS as fitted to Canadian and other cold-climate markets.

The heating element fits in a metal T-piece pipe which is fitted in a 2-piece replacement lower radiator hose. I have the T-piece, heating element and wire. However, I am going to split my existing bottom hose and cut out a small section and then fit the T-piece as the replacement 2-piece hose is £157!!!

I'd really like to see a picture of one fitted and also the position of the wiring, so that I can decide the orientation of the T-piece as originally designed by Jaguar.

So if anyone has one of these heaters fitted in an AJ16-engined XJS (AJ6 bottom hoses are quite different), I'd really appreciate it you could post some pics here or email them to me.

Tks very much in advance.

Paul

Old 08-07-2015, 05:13 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by ptjs1
Hi,

Apols for starting my first day on the Forum with a request for help, but I hope I'll also be able to contribute help to others as time goes on!

I wonder if anyone can help me out on my latest project. I'm fitting a genuine Jaguar cylinder block pre-heating element to my 95 AJ16 XJS as fitted to Canadian and other cold-climate markets.

The heating element fits in a metal T-piece pipe which is fitted in a 2-piece replacement lower radiator hose. I have the T-piece, heating element and wire. However, I am going to split my existing bottom hose and cut out a small section and then fit the T-piece as the replacement 2-piece hose is £157!!!

I'd really like to see a picture of one fitted and also the position of the wiring, so that I can decide the orientation of the T-piece as originally designed by Jaguar.

So if anyone has one of these heaters fitted in an AJ16-engined XJS (AJ6 bottom hoses are quite different), I'd really appreciate it you could post some pics here or email them to me.

Tks very much in advance.

Paul

So, it's 15 months later and I still haven't installed the pre-heater but the time has now come for action! A recent aircon service highlighted that my main heater valve is leaking badly when closed. I've got a new valve ready to change, along with the connecting heater pipes. As I'll drain down the coolant, this is definitely the time to finally cut the bottom hose and install the engine pre-heater.

So, if anyone has an engine pre-heater on an AJ16-XJS, I'd really appreciate a photo of exactly where in that complex bottom hose it is installed, especially it's orientation.

Tks in advance.

Paul

Old 08-07-2015, 07:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

search inline coolant heater in the X300 section.

posted within the last few weeks.

Old 08-09-2015, 06:53 AM
Veteran Member

plums,

Tks for the link. It is of some use, but the x300 uses a different bottom hose. It also has the heater built-in rather than the separate alloy casting and heater fitted on an AJ16 XJS. So, I still really need a photo of the XJS installation as that is what I'm trying to emulate. Jaguar have stopped making the XJS pipe for the pre-heater cars now and owners have to buy the standard pipe and cut it.

One thing that surprises me, even on the x300 is that the heater is mounted in a higher plane on that section of the pipe, rather than on the underside. I would have thought that might encourage an airlock at the heater? This is also why I want to see an XJS in situ to understand the orientation of the heater. My inclination is obviously to mount the heater on the underside of the pipe to ensure that it is always immersed in coolant.

Paul