XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts
Default Battery

I've been searching the threads for the best battery to buy for my '91/92 facelift.

Can you tell me which battery you bought and did it fit ?

Old 07-29-2017, 12:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by malc4d
I've been searching the threads for the best battery to buy for my '91/92 facelift.

Can you tell me which battery you bought and did it fit ?

This one worked for me, it fit when I stomped on it lol.

Next time I'm buying a Made-in-Canada brand with even more CCA but I don't think you'll find it down in Orlando? Interstate is a good brand but with Wal-Mart you can just trash the battery every few years and make them give you a new one.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:56 AM
Received 10,306 Likes on 6,818 Posts

Mine was Black, rectangular, with Yellow tops, 2 terminals, and #N54 in OZ talk.

It fitted the tray, and was the spec as listed in the SuperCharge catalogue.

Best part is, it actually started the engine, whoopee.

650CCA, and 120Reserve amps. Lasted 4 years, which here is good a life.

Old 07-29-2017, 09:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,399 Likes on 1,880 Posts

Batteries are an interesting topic. Kind of like oil and tires. Everyone and his little brother has an opinion!

In my rough view. The largest and heaviest unit with the connectors that fit in the car. Lead is heavy. More lead, more CCA. Cold crank amps. More storage for energy.

Any parts place on or off line can look up your car and identify the battery by group number.

This 'fit" is designated by physical size. Connector type and orientation.

My Jeep has - post to vehicle left and + post vehicle right. Each top located. Battery box, vehicle left.

OTH, my Jaguar's battery is vehicle right and adjacent to the fire wall. Side posts on the front. - vehicle left. + vehicle right.

Other than the popular and expensive Optima brand. All others are made to spec by either Exide or Johnson controls. Sold under various bran names. Interstate among them.

For decades, the units sold by Sears. I forgot their brand name were well regarded.

I've forgotten the brands in each of my cars. They cost just under a hundred each. So far so good.

Carl

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

best battery i ever had was a Yellow Top Optima!

put 1st into Buick GN for 5yrs, then needed a battery for 75 XJC V12, swapped it out , close to 4yrs!

well sold the car talked with the new owner about yr later, asked how things going , ask about battery, he said working fine NO problems!

thats 10 yrs of service,still going, thats good enough for me.

i'm sold on Yellow top Optima batteries! cost is not that important , for the piece of mind.

Grant Francis (07-29-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,755 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Ah, the ever increasing tyranny of choice.

As the years have gone by I've battled that tyranny by becoming rather nonchalant about batteries, engine oil, and many other things that I used to fuss over.

I've had cheapies (when there was such as thing) last far longer than expected. And I've had high-end models die sooner than expected...leaving me skeptical about the real-world benefit of spending the extra money. But I don't think I've ever had a 'bad' battery. I just buy the right size and spec, medium price range, and leave it at that. Brand name and place of purchase have become meaningless to me as there's a huge amount of 'label engineering' in the battery industry.

I count on a battery, any battery, lasting four years. Anything beyond that is free use in my book.

I make sure my cars run well so the battery never has to work very hard to start the engine. If the car is gonna be out of use for a long period I'll put a battery maintenance charger on it. If I sense that a battery is getting weak from age I replace it before it leaves me stranded.

That's it

Of course there is much, much more to battery technology than my self-imposed, overly-simplistic mentality would suggest. I just choose not to go there.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Grant Francis (07-30-2017), v1rok (08-05-2017)
Old 07-30-2017, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

1. Sears 'famous" brand. Die hard!!! AT least at one time. Now, who knows.

2. Anyone can complicate things. those who can simplify things are in the
minority. Clearly, Doug is one of the latter.

2. A school chum, Billy, mentored me on my first car, a "T" Ford. He, about a year or two older than I, was on his second "T".

Now, Billy was a bit perniourous (sp).

1. Scooped oil from the drain barrrels for his really nice 27 T roadster pickup.
2. Lost his ignition key. So, killed the engine and by hand crank turned the engine til the amp meter 'zeroed" aka points open!
3. Bummed aka begged for old 6 volt batteries. Usually with one dead cell.

Not enough for the starter. No matter, his fired easily on hand cranking.
Lights a bit weird. Rev it to brighten, o'wise a bit dim. OK, as most driving was in day light.

4. Then, Billy went off to college, Texas A & M. to become an aero engineer. The T was sold to the local Shriners for parade use. I wanted it, but, alas, they had tons more money than I!!!

Carl

The following 2 users liked this post by JagCad:
Grant Francis (08-04-2017), orangeblossom (07-31-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 08:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 431 Likes on 375 Posts

Bought a duralast from autozone and it fitted fine. Just remember to keep the left side vent plug from the old battery as it doesn't come with that....

Grant Francis (08-04-2017)
Old 08-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Yup. I think the one in my Jeep is now an Autozone sourced Duralast.
So far, just fine.

Carl

Old 08-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 693 Likes on 562 Posts

I recently replaced my green/white interstate battery. I originally had the vented one, but wasn't able to find a replacement. The new one has more CCA, though I don't remember the numbers.

Batteries are supposed to last 2-3 years. Mine lasted 6.5. Interstate all day.