Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Beeping alarm /flashing lights (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/beeping-alarm-flashing-lights-96154/)

robsxjs 05-29-2013 10:14 AM

Beeping alarm /flashing lights

Good afternoon fellow XJS fans

I acquired a 1993 4.0 XJS recently - and very good it is too. I love driving it.

However today I changed the battery, putting in a brand new battery and this seems to have caused the car to throw a wobbler.

When the ignition key is taken out of the ignition a beeping starts near the drivers right knee - quite near the instrument dimmer switch - and the headlights/brake lights/number plate lights all flash in time. When working properly the alarm will start ticking when the doors are unlocked and can be deactivated by inserting the ignition key. Now there's no ticking and the alarm appears to be deactivated.

The car starts OK and drives OK - I just can't leave it without the beeping and flashing - even when locked. So I've had to disconnect the battery until a solution is found.

Has anyone suffered the same issue? Anyone get any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

Rob

malc4d 05-29-2013 11:09 AM

Not sure about your alarm type on the '93, but on my '92 5.3 when you reconnect the battery it will beep 5 times. This is so that l can program 5 remotes.....
So, connect the battery, wait for 1st beep then press remote button, 2nd beep press another remote. 3 beep if you have 3 press the button, If you have less than 5 remotes press 1 of them at every beep until it stops bleeping.

Hope that helps.

malc4d 05-30-2013 03:27 PM

Did that work..?

robsxjs 06-01-2013 07:07 AM

Bought a new battery for the fob - but alas the fob has no control over the beeping.

The beeping is coming from the front near side corner of the bonnet if any one else has any ideas.

malc4d 06-01-2013 08:24 AM

Ok,
Does key fob open the doors remotely ?

If not look behind the right (passenger) rear light panel in the trunk. you should see the base of the electric antenna and maybe a big white multi plug and a smaller black plug. There is a photo here

Attached Thumbnails https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...p-img_9944-jpg

If they are plugged in (above pic isn't) you have the alarm. Its a black box located under the white plug in above photo. Horn is located behind the driver front headlight.
Try unplugging the white connecter, this will disable the alarm, remote locking and the beeping. If this does then your key fob is not talking to the alarm.

BUT, l think your model year might have a different alarm.

robsxjs 06-02-2013 08:57 AM

Alas that didn't work either. The fob has no control over the doors - the only thing it does do is create a different sounding beep when pushed.

The right hand rear light console in my XJS does look slightly different. I tried a few disconnections - as I would happily live without the alarm - but no the beeping and flashing continues.

Many thanks for your ideas - much appreciated

malc4d 06-02-2013 11:04 AM

Sorry couldn't help. You could call a company called Jagutek in Ely. They might know answer.

kurtomatic 06-02-2013 11:43 PM

Hey there, I also have a '93 4.0, and I have suffered this exact same behavior.

Basically, the security ECU is pissed off about losing power, and won't shut up about it. :icon_screwy:

I'd run my battery too low working on an ignition problem, and after recharging it, the beeping started. The short-term, get-this-stopped-right-now fix is to disconnect the security ECU. On my convertible, the security ECU is attached to the harness with a large block connector near the antenna in the right-side of the trunk.

The real trick is getting the security ECU back in a normal state, and unfortunately, I can't offer any magic bullets there. I ended up putting my car in a local shop that specializes in Jags and Rovers. They replaced my battery entirely with a high capacity unit, and was able to get the security system settled down by repeated operating the locks both manually and with the remote. At least, that's what they told me.

Is the remote fob not locking or unlocking the doors at all? That could make this harder to fix. My fob barely works at all; the shop had to clean it thoroughly and it's still pretty flaky, but they were able to make it work long enough to clear my fault.

malc4d 06-03-2013 02:30 AM

Mine has a small 6v backup battery which should be replaced after 2 years...................I think they stopped making it just as I bought my car. Like the airbag. 1n 1993.........lol. cant find one that fits.
Anyway, l really only wanted the remote locking function.

robsxjs 06-03-2013 05:39 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions - when I come back off holiday the battery will be reconnected, the beeping will no doubt restart and I will have a go at the long term and then the short term fix.

kurtomatic 06-03-2013 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
The large white plastic block connector in the foreground is for the security ECU...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/a...ine=1370275368

malc4d 06-03-2013 11:33 AM

Yup, the range of the remote from new is about 1 foot,......... and the remotes antenna runs down the UK driver side only !! So really bad on the left side. Its the black plug. I had thought about re-routing it down the left side.
But it sounds as if robxjss alarm is a newer model, with a key transponder.

malc4d 06-03-2013 03:50 PM

Just found this under the sticky

1993-94 XJ6 cars:

1. Turn ignition key ON.
2. Turn security switch OFF (located in center console).
3. Turn ignition key OFF.
4. Turn security switch ON.
5. Cycle security system switch ON/OFF rapidly 4 times (within 5 seconds).
6. Press each transmitter so a total of 5 confirmations are heard.

stix66rb 06-28-2013 01:49 PM

Hi Kurt,
I have a '93 XJS 4L convert with the same beeping problem. I would lke to disable the security system altogether since we live in a relatively crime free area and I understand that his is controlled by the white plug (with about 15 wires going into it) by the antenna but I also heard that unplugging this connector will disable other areas of the car.. Do you happen to know which other areas will be disabled? I like to use a battery cut-off switch for fire protection so it is an ongoing problem and I'm worried about disabling the ignition switch as well. Any ideas about this?
Thanks you for all your suggestions to Rob and myself- we all like our cars very much except for this annoying feature.
Jim S (stix66rb)

malc4d 06-29-2013 02:43 AM

There must be someone on this forum who can tell us the different types of Jag alarms fitted to the '91 5.3 and 4.0 onwards XJS's.

My 5.3 facelift didn't come with the alarm or remote locking, just the wiring and place for it. So l bought 1. It just plugs in and out with the 2 plugs in the boot, big white 1 and the smaller black 1. When unplugged l loose the remote door function. But l think that the later alarms have a different setup with a transponder in the key and key lock. Try unplugging the large white connector and see what happens.......Might work or you just might get more beeping.

Did you try out the coding as l explained above ? works for my type of Jag alarm.

AllanG 06-29-2013 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by malc4d (Post 762361)
There must be someone on this forum who can tell us the different types of Jag alarms fitted to the '91 5.3 and 4.0 onwards XJS's.

I'm not sure about the 91-92 cars, but it seems that 93MY had an aftermarket system added called "19K" The 93MY update pdf in the downloads section at the top of the XJS forum has the guide to operation.

MY94 onwards introduced a new factory alarm system with a completely different operation. The 94 update pdf explains these changes also.

hope this helps a bit.

Allan

robsxjs 07-03-2013 03:05 PM

Well the beeping and flashing has been cured - more through luck and last minute exasperation than anything else.

Here's what I did (and yes it seems to be a hybrid of every comment above)

1. Unlock all doors and boot manually.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Leave for some time (I'd left it overnight)
4. Reconnect battery
5. Insert ignition key
6. Press fob five times in quick succession holding it close to the steering column. The bulb out warning light on the dash flashed five times

The beeping stopped!

Then deactivated the immobiliser as normal and car started.

Interestingly the central locking now runs off the fob which it never did before - even with a new battery.

Thanks to every one who offered suggestions.

stix66rb 07-05-2013 10:20 AM

Hi Robsxjs,

Thanks for the winning method. I'm going to try it but before that I have a question: what position is the key in- I or II position?
Thanks,
stix66rb

robsxjs 07-07-2013 03:51 PM

I'm sure it was position 2

RagJag 07-07-2013 06:01 PM

I do not believe the latest XJS 4.0 cars had transponders in the ignition key. At least my '96 does not.
RagJag