Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Brake Failure at 60 MPH! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/brake-failure-60-mph-145427/)

orangeblossom 06-29-2015 01:27 PM

Brake Failure at 60 MPH!

So there we were driving along in the Sunshine, when I touched the Brakes to let a Car in from a Slip Road on the Left (UK)

When She suddenly took a sharp and unexpected dive to the right, which would have had me off the road, if I hadn't released the Brakes.

Then it suddenly cured itself and everything was fine, so just to make sure I drove it round the Garden when I got home and then I hit the Brakes!

At which point She then took a dive to the Right.

Brand New Calipers and New Brake Pads were put on last year and so it looks as though its probably the Teves Master Cylinder playing up.

I could take the one I've just rebuilt out of my other Car 'The Ice Princess'

But it was such a Scary experience, that I trust the Teves System, as far as I could throw a Grand Piano!

Plan 'B' is to use the Brake Booster System out of one of my laid up Cars, as unless you have had this happen to you, its hard to describe how much it shakes you up.

This I feel will ultimately be the Safest option, so does anyone have a diagram of which pipes go where.:icon_gunhead:

swayne 06-29-2015 02:09 PM

Did you replace the soft hoses going to the calipers also.

orangeblossom 06-29-2015 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by swayne (Post 1257533)
Did you replace the soft hoses going to the calipers also.

Yes all brake pipes hard and soft were replaced.

paulyling 06-29-2015 05:19 PM

Man that is one of the worst experiences driving a car.

Glad your ok and hope you get it sorted soon!

Bc xj 06-29-2015 07:00 PM

I have non-abs brakes on my 86 and they stop the car dead. I think you might be better off without the ABS. From what I've read here the abs isn't worth the risk for the a slight advantage if any.
Thankfully everyone is safe. The cars not wrecked. That's the main thing.

orangeblossom 06-29-2015 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by paulyling (Post 1257636)
Man that is one of the worst experiences driving a car.

Glad your ok and hope you get it sorted soon!

Yeah!

Cheers Bro

I've had this kind of Brake Failure before, I should be an expert at fixing these things by now.

Its just a freaking nuisance job, that I could do without.

Mikey 06-29-2015 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom (Post 1257509)

When She suddenly took a sharp and unexpected dive to the right, which would have had me off the road, if I hadn't released the Brakes.

A brake 'pull' like this is usually due to defective caliper/pads on the opposite side of the car, the left side in this case.

orangeblossom 06-29-2015 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Bc xj (Post 1257678)
I have non-abs brakes on my 86 and they stop the car dead. I think you might be better off without the ABS. From what I've read here the abs isn't worth the risk for the a slight advantage if any.
Thankfully everyone is safe. The cars not wrecked. That's the main thing.

You are absolutely right!

The ABS is an Accident waiting to happen on these Cars and this is the Second Car its happened on.

There is no warning whatsoever, that somethings about to go wrong, one minute the Car is driving like a dreamboat and then 'Wham!' a front Wheel stops braking.

Very, very, Scary when that happens and requires immediate lift off and then power to straighten her up.

After which She Brakes as long as you apply them gently so the ABS doesn't wake up and tries to kill you.

I've got the 'Brake Booster System' on a Coupe I no longer use which I could take off and put on this Car.

Ideally I don't want to start cutting Brake Pipes and hope someone will show me how to plumb the Brake Booster in by joining the right pipes together.

Had I been on a bend, then I would have spun her for sure.

orangeblossom 06-29-2015 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Mikey (Post 1257708)
A brake 'pull' like this is usually due to defective caliper/pads on the opposite side of the car, the left side in this case.

Or the Right one, not Braking at all.

Last Summer I put on Two New Service Exchange Calipers including New Brake Pads and New Brake Hoses.

So its looking like a faulty electronic valve in the ABS.

While I know how to fix it, there is no guarantee it won't happen again, as this will be the Second XJS its happened on and next time I may not be quite so lucky.

Mikey 06-29-2015 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom (Post 1257717)
Or the Right one, not Braking at all.

No, the car pulls to the side that IS working.