Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Brown wire location anybody. (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/brown-wire-location-anybody-211517/)

brinny 12-09-2018 07:57 AM

Brown wire location anybody.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...5c1add6ec.jpegCan anyone tell me where the brown wire on the inlet manifold connects too? I know it doesn’t go to the right hand air box as everything else is connected up. Only one I can’t find after refitting the engine. Thanks if you can help solve this mystery!,

Doug 12-09-2018 08:03 AM

I dunno. But, if it's solid brown, it'll be a "12 volt constant" wire. Maybe that helps narrow things down?

Cheers
DD

brinny 12-09-2018 08:28 AM

Yes solid brown but still no closer

brinny 12-09-2018 09:09 AM

I’ve been through my photos to see if I can find anything and all I can see is that it seems to head towards the cruise bellows area?

J_C_R 12-09-2018 03:22 PM

You can meter it and see if it gives +12 all the time.

Is there anything in the engine compartment that doesn't work...cruise control, aux fan, and so forth? If so, maybe that is the power lead to the inoperative device.

I would guess that they made just one wiring harness for all varieties, and if an option wasn't included in that particular car then that wire was just left disconnected???

Thnaks,

John
1987 XJ-S V12

baxtor 12-09-2018 05:34 PM

Judging by where it seems to come from (single wire from lower on motor) and the sheath on it l suspect something to do with starter/ alternator maybe.
l can eyeball my car later in the day.

brinny 12-09-2018 10:11 PM

[QUOTE=baxtor;1999015]Judging by where it seems to come from (single wire from lower on motor) and the sheath on it l suspect something to do with starter/ alternator maybe.
l can eyeball my car later in the day.[/Q.

Thanks that would help. My car is not running at the moment.

warrjon 12-09-2018 11:29 PM

Sorry Bob, some idiot cut a fibre and we've been without internet for a couple of days.

I looked in my engine bay and I can not find any wire that looks like that, although I do have the engine support in the way ATM because I have the front subframe out.

brinny 12-10-2018 12:40 AM

Thanks warren I will keep looking!,!

baxtor 12-10-2018 12:54 AM

Just checked my car Brinny and l have that wire on mine. It is the feed to supplementary air valve. This is attached to right hand air cleaner backplate.
wire is routed under throttle bodies then up to connect.

warrjon 12-10-2018 02:05 AM

The supplementary air valve on my car has 2 wires in the harness Black/Brown and Green/White. It does not,look like that.

brinny 12-10-2018 03:05 AM

Yes mine are the same as yours Warren I have them connected. The mystery deepens !!!

baxtor 12-10-2018 04:12 AM

My car is UK spec, that's the only reason l can think of for difference. That wire on mine is actually brown with slate rings rather than normal lineal tracer.
l can't find very much documention (a little in the 81_88 engine info. bulletin )which includes the vacuum solonoid valve at rear of my R/H manifold which is associated with my supplementary air valve. All stock jaguar wiring.

Greg in France 12-10-2018 05:00 AM

Where is the other end going to Brinny?

brinny 12-10-2018 12:49 PM

It goes back to the firewall and into the small loom that feeds the oil pressure switch and reverse light. I think . Will check tomorrow.

orangeblossom 12-10-2018 01:44 PM

Hi Brinny

A certain amount of guesswork involved which may possibly give you a clue 'or maybe not'

On my 1990 XJS V12

I've got the same single wire in a White connector exactly the same as you, except instead of it being a Brown Wire it is Yellow

'Not that I think that the Colour makes any difference' (although I could be wrong)

But on my Car, the Wire with the 'White Connector' comes off what I 'Think' is called the Supplementary Air Valve?

Where on my Car this Wire runs along the Top Closing Panel which covers the Rad and then goes into a Loom and then the Wires that come out of that Loom go into the 2 Silver Relays on the Top Closing Panel

Have a look at the Photos, as they may give you a clue

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...b84f698189.jpg

Single wire comes out of this 'Gizmo' and then goes into a loom

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...127507d767.jpg

Single Wire goes into this loom on the Top Closing Panel

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...295e5a68b2.jpg

Single Wire goes into Loom and Multi Wires come out, where they 'seem' to connect into one or both of those Silver Relays

brinny 12-10-2018 01:49 PM

Thanks for that ob. I’ve got those wires connected up ok. I marked those up before I stripped the engine and reconnected them so I’m confident. It is a mystery this wire. I had another look earlier and the wire is brown with light blue marks intermittently if that helps anyone. Thank you for taking the photos and making the effort ob.

orangeblossom 12-10-2018 02:12 PM

No Probs Brinny

Cheers!

baxtor 12-10-2018 08:43 PM

Brinny l suspect if your supplimentary valve is hooked up and working the brown/slate wire you have (same colour code as my valve wire) is redundant.
Jaguar tended to make changes and updates over a period of time rather than a clean cut off as they used up old wiring harnesses etc. and 1989 seems to have been a hot spot for such updates.
My own car is 1989 but l have come across many examples where wiring diagrams do not match what l actually have.
The supplimentary valve is such an example where my car matches neither earlier nor later diagrams but rather a bit of each, but it still works.
If everything related is working ok just treat the wire as redundant.

brinny 12-10-2018 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by baxtor (Post 1999496)
Brinny l suspect if your supplimentary valve is hooked up and working the brown/slate wire you have (same colour code as my valve wire) is redundant.
Jaguar tended to make changes and updates over a period of time rather than a clean cut off as they used up old wiring harnesses etc. and 1989 seems to have been a hot spot for such updates.
My own car is 1989 but l have come across many examples where wiring diagrams do not match what l actually have.
The supplimentary valve is such an example where my car matches neither earlier nor later diagrams but rather a bit of each, but it still works.
If everything related is working ok just treat the wire as redundant.

The car is a non runner at the moment so I can’t check if everything is working. I know what you mean though about jaguar and their wiring and you may well be right. This wire wasn’t marked up by me when I removed the engine also. Thanks for your input and it may have to wait until I can get her running and see what doesn’t work.