Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Bulb Warning Light Won't Go Out! (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/bulb-warning-light-wont-go-out-217424/)

orangeblossom 05-06-2019 01:30 PM

Bulb Warning Light Won't Go Out!

Hi Guys

The Bulb Warning Light on 50 Shades my Grey XJS will not go out, even though everything was ok before I got her packed away in the Garage for the Winter

Checked all the Lights, everything is OK except for this little Electrical Gremlin

Any Ideas?

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...eef4ae8c05.jpg

Bulb Warning Light won't go out

macdoesit 05-06-2019 01:52 PM

Mine does the same thing sometimes, Pull up on the emergency brake lever, when you think it is all the way up jerk on it some more, then push the button and force it down quick as you can. The reason I said to get aggressive with it, I did normal a few times and did not work, got pissed pulled it up fast and hard and pushed back down fast and hard and light goes out.
If light is on and I do it normal light will not go out. It works for me.

orangeblossom 05-06-2019 02:21 PM

Hi Mac

Cheers!

I will give that a try Tomorrow and let you know what happens

RonaldP 05-06-2019 02:48 PM

Did you replace any of your lights with LED?

Greg in France 05-07-2019 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom (Post 2066415)
Hi Mac

Cheers!

I will give that a try Tomorrow and let you know what happens

The bulb failure light can only be triggered by the handbrake lever if you have your foot on the brake as well. This is a test mode for the BFL. The BF module is a bimetal strip and they do get weaker/jam etc etc. or a poor connector in the light itself can do it, as not enough current flows to heat the bimetal. Drive it for a bit and see if it goes out, after that, post again...
Greg

warrjon 05-07-2019 03:56 PM

There are 5 bulb failure units.2 on the component panel next to the aux fuse panel, 2 in the boot on each side and the brake light failure unit under the centre console.

You can diagnose it to a single unit by removing the WS wire one at a time and see if the warning light goes out. The brake light failure unit under the console is the WL wire.

If the cruise control works then the brake switches are ok.

orangeblossom 05-07-2019 05:27 PM

Mac@Greg@Ronald@Warrjon (Thank You For all those suggestions Guys)

Hi Warrjon@Robman25

Well done Guys and Thanks to you both I've finally tracked the Fault down to a blown Festoon Bulb in One of the Number Plate Lights

New Bulb in and Fault Light Out!

warrjon 05-07-2019 06:09 PM

Damn the bulb failure unit actually works

bknorwood 12-31-2019 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by warrjon (Post 2067076)
There are 5 bulb failure units.2 on the component panel next to the aux fuse panel, 2 in the boot on each side and the brake light failure unit under the centre console.

You can diagnose it to a single unit by removing the WS wire one at a time and see if the warning light goes out. The brake light failure unit under the console is the WL wire.

If the cruise control works then the brake switches are ok.

Sorry to be dense, but what are the "WS" and "WL" wires? I'm working on tracking down a bulb failure indication too.

Thanks,

Brad

JayJagJay 12-31-2019 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by bknorwood (Post 2173165)
Sorry to be dense, but what are the "WS" and "WL" wires? I'm working on tracking down a bulb failure indication too.

Thanks,

Brad

Hey Brad... I thought this might be the easiest way... I believe those are the color codes for the wires to the units you're chasing... If you Google wire color codes for the XJS you'll come up with lots of resources and explanations...
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...8e3814a0c8.png

bknorwood 01-01-2020 11:44 AM

Thanks - I wondered if those were color designations. But the reason I was skeptical of my supposition remains unanswered by the table. “WL” would appear to translate to “a light white color”. So, assuming that doesn’t mean a cream-colored wore with a white stripe, is it just referring to a solid white wire w/no stripe?

Doug 01-01-2020 12:16 PM

A solid white wire would simply be "W"

I suspect "WL" is a typo or misprint

When "L" is used it is placed before the color identifier, for example....

"G" is green; "LG" is light geen
"U" is blue; "LU" is light blue

Cheers
DD

JayJagJay 01-01-2020 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon (Post 2067146)
Damn the bulb failure unit actually works

Allllll,,,,Toooooo,,,,Welllllll... pita.sometimes...
I guess I'd rather be with them than without :)

warrjon 01-02-2020 04:02 AM

Sorry WL was a typo I couldn't fix, then I forgot about it until now, it should be LGK, my appologies

Timeisrelative 01-02-2020 04:15 AM

Mine comes on for a few seconds at every startup. It's annoying, but as with yours all of my bulbs are fine. I figure as long as it goes out I won't loose sleep over it. If it didn't, it would drive me crazy lol 😁

Greg in France 01-02-2020 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by Timeisrelative (Post 2173712)
Mine comes on for a few seconds at every startup. It's annoying, but as with yours all of my bulbs are fine. I figure as long as it goes out I won't loose sleep over it. If it didn't, it would drive me crazy lol 😁

That is part of the (intended, designed-in) self-test procedure. One of Doug's "features"!