Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Can you plug an OBD2 Scanner into a 1989 or 1990 XJS? (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/can-you-plug-obd2-scanner-into-1989-1990-xjs-193811/)

orangeblossom 12-15-2017 06:30 AM

Can you plug an OBD2 Scanner into a 1989 or 1990 XJS?

Hi Guys

Not being as mechanically experienced as some of you Guys to which this question might have a very obvious answer

Can you Plug an OBD2 Scanner into a 1989 or a 1990 XJS

If so, where is the Socket (photo appreciated if you have one)

catterwaller 12-15-2017 07:39 AM

I think not. OBD2 didn't come along until the mid 90s. OBD 1 preceded OBD2. OBD1 was a not standard across manufactures and is the reason for the OBD2. I read somewhere on here that Jag had there own standard on pre OBD2 cars that didn't even comply with any OBD1 tools. My US 92 is supposed to read the codes on the trip computer. It did before a problem came up that I haven't gotten to fixing. I don't know if the codes reside in the trip computer or the ECM.

Doug 12-15-2017 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by catterwaller (Post 1809413)
I think not. OBD2 didn't come along until the mid 90s. OBD 1 preceded OBD2. OBD1 was a not standard across manufactures and is the reason for the OBD2. I read somewhere on here that Jag had there own standard on pre OBD2 cars that didn't even comply with any OBD1 tools.

I believe Jaguar's OBD of that era used the "FF" codes

Anyhow, correct, can't use an OBDII scan tool on a pre-1995/96 Jaguar as they don't have the OBDII system, plain and simple

Cheers
DD

orangeblossom 12-15-2017 09:52 AM

Ok Doug@Caterwaller

Cheers!

Dear Santa

OBD2 Scanner no longer required instead please send 4 Tyres, slightly more expensive but you know how it is.............

ptjs1 12-15-2017 02:54 PM

Hi OB,

ODB2 was implemented by Jaguar in April 94 for 4 litre cars, when they brought in the AJ16 engine.

"OBD1" tended to be manufacturer- specific with no standardisation used by Jaguar. They built a proprietary system that uses a PDU unit to interrogate the car. Really difficult to find a working unit now. The plug is in the boot in the right rear corner.

My​​​​​ suggestion: use the trip computer for engine codes, use the blink-test routines for ABS, and take it to an independent with a PDU for anything else!

Cheers

Paul

orangeblossom 12-15-2017 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by ptjs1 (Post 1809579)
Hi OB,

ODB2 was implemented by Jaguar in April 94 for 4 litre cars, when they brought in the AJ16 engine.

"OBD1" tended to be manufacturer- specific with no standardisation used by Jaguar. They built a proprietary system that uses a PDU unit to interrogate the car. Really difficult to find a working unit now. The plug is in the boot in the right rear corner.

My​​​​​ suggestion: use the trip computer for engine codes, use the blink-test routines for ABS, and take it to an independent with a PDU for anything else!

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul

How do you use the Trip Computer to get the Engine Codes?

Not that there's anything wrong with her at the moment

Daim 12-15-2017 04:07 PM

Oh, but you can buy a special tool for the Marelli ignition system to diagnose ignition problems. It is only about the size of a desktop computer, needs a full normal household power supply and other specialties.

OBD 2 as such didn't come along until around mid 90ies. Jaguar was early adopting it... My old Volvos had a built in OBD box, where you could stick a pin (supplied with the box from factory to all cars from ~89 onwards with the Bosch LH 2.4 Jetronic) and read out the codes. They would be "shown" via LED flashes... Always in a block of 3. No codes meant: ECU dead. 1...1...1 meant all good. If there were several codes, it would carry on. You had to always be looking though... Sigh... Those were the better days of daily driving...

orangeblossom 12-15-2017 05:14 PM

Hi Daim

Cheers!

But I was looking for something that might not cost as much as a secondhand car

Daim 12-16-2017 01:58 AM

Then you have the wrong cars :D

These cars are just too old for OBD II.

catterwaller 12-16-2017 01:07 PM

Reading from the trio computer section, page 71, of my XJ-S Handbook for my 92: To obtain the relevant failure, switch off the ignition wait at least 5 seconds then turn the ignition switch to position II (do not start the engine, The relevant failure code 'FF11 to FF99' will be displayed. When the engine is restarted the failure code is deleted from the trip computer display but the warning light (check engine) will remain illuminated.

Jagboi64 12-16-2017 01:35 PM

You need the second style trip computer, with the LCD screen. if you have the earlier style with green illuminated digits ( like used in the Series III saloons) , that is not capable of showing any codes.

orangeblossom 12-16-2017 04:36 PM

Hi Catterwaller@Jagboi

I have got the earlier style of Computer Display with green illuminated digits and Jagboi is correct in saying that I would need the later style in order to show the fault codes which mine does not do

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.jag...f5d8bce03d.jpg

Earlier Style Of Trip Computer, which doesn't show Engine Fault Codes, which I very seldom use, as looking at the Fuel Consumption of 17.2 MPG. Can easily lead to 'Self Harming'

warrjon 12-16-2017 10:42 PM

Codes are not available on TC 90 91 maybe this was available on MY92 but definitely not on anything earlier, there is no connection to the TC from either ECU.

orangeblossom 12-16-2017 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon (Post 1810250)
Codes are not available on TC 90 91 maybe this was available on MY92 but definitely not on anything earlier, there is no connection to the TC from either ECU.

Ok Warrjon

Cheers! and also another good reason for keeping the servicing up to snuff

Some Day, Some Day 12-17-2017 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom (Post 1810115)
Hi Catterwaller@Jagboi
Fuel Consumption of 17.2 MPG. Can easily lead to 'Self Harming'

Which is 14.3 mpg in US mpg, which I have calculated is what my Japan-market car uses (along with k/l of course). So you're doing pretty well, really. Around town I am lucky to see 12 mpg US, 14 mph UK. Which can lead to self harming my bank account....