XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 05:58 AM
Veteran Member
Received 3,751 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Hi Greg

Although a swap is Tempting, these Cars are much to easy to fall in love with and so I am trying to wean myself off her, for as nice as She undoubtedly is 'Cherry Blossom' is a much better Car and nicer looking

Maybe he might make me a good offer for 'Carmen' my Celebration Convertible 4.0L as these seem to be in very short supply and I can tell he wants her, as She could turn him a very pretty penny!

But in any event since Yourself and Grant have been Training me up, over the past three years or so, I found that I was almost able to detach myself from this piece of 'eye candy' and look her over objectively to try find any faults

Nothing wrong with her that I could see

Although in any event I'll be meeting up with him in the New Year to weigh up the options and then see what rolls out

Old 12-29-2018, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member

What Else Did I Get For Christmas (1)

A New Set Of Spark Plugs For '50 Shades' My Grey XJS
Having been warned off using Iridium Spark Plugs in my XJS I sent away to 'Santa' for the very same ones that I had used before, which were NGK BR7 EF

These Plugs worked Amazingly well in my other V12 'Cherry Blossom' although I did have a bit of a problem in trying to track some down, although I eventually found a Set on ebay

Very inexpensive and if I remember correctly were only about £2-50p each

The last time that I changed the Spark Plugs only took me 3 days (lol)

But now having done this job before, I think I should be able to do it in 2 days and if so I'll be very happy with that!

NGK BR7 EF Spark Plugs worked really well in my V12 'Cherry Blossom' so now I've got another set for '50 Shades' my Grey XJS

Last edited by orangeblossom; 12-29-2018 at 06:41 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:43 AM
Veteran Member

What Else Did I Get For Christmas (2)

A Super Little Air Drill

Although I've got a Straight Air Drill, I just couldn't resist getting hold of one of these, which if I remember was about £12 and Yesterday was the first time that I tried it out

As you can see from the Photo, it is very small, which is very handy for having to drill holes in awkward places

I was putting some wheels on my Welding Set (more about that later) that was gifted to me by the GF's Dad, who is a Professional Welder

And this Air Drill was ideal for that, as the drill went through Steel like a knife through melted butter

What's in the Box ?

Just what I always wanted a nice little Air Drill

It's nice small size and compact design makes it ideal for getting into very awkward places

Easily zipped through the round tube of Steel of this old Bakery Trolley which I converted into a Welding Trolley

Old 12-30-2018, 05:08 PM
Veteran Member

Six Wheels On My Welder

Welding Needed On My XJS!
While I was always hoping to never have to do any Welding on my XJS I cannot get away with it any longer, as 3 years ago when I got '50 Shades' my Grey XJS back on the road

I noticed a massive Bodge Up on the Exhaust Pipe, that either the previous Owner or a Shop he took it to must have put together with 'Sealing Wax And String' although even so She's never failed an MOT

But help was at hand or so I thought in the form of the GF's Father, who just happens to be a 'Fully Coded Welder!' which some how leads me to believe that when it comes to Girlfriends, I know how to pick em!

Though on Second thoughts maybe not! as her Father put me in 'promise land' to do that 'little job' which of course he never got around to, which seems to allude to the Theory that if you want a job done then you have to do it yourself!

Or else you could take it to a Shop, except of course that just maybe one of those Exhaust Shops did this unbelievable Bodge Up that it could well deserve a place in the Museum of 'Modern Art'

Except it wasn't all bad news as he gave me his old Mig Welder, when he bought himself a New one which some may say was a random act of kindness although I tend to think of it as a Massive Bribe to take his Troublesome Daughter off his hands

But since like the Mig Welder She came with no guarantee unfortunately I cannot send her back, not of course that I would ever want to, as She is always right and I am wrong

Except the only other thing that She will never know is that with a 'Welding Set and a Concrete Mixer'
'A Man can conquer the World' (@'Greg') So that only leaves the Concrete Mixer to buy!

But lest I digress, I've got 'The Mig' (which I've heard you can get cream for) though up until very recently the Mig just wouldn't work and so along with GF, that makes two things then

As the Mig Wire kept slipping on the Feed Roller, which of course would cost Megabucks to replace and so the only thing to do was order one from China! which cost about £2-50p and took 3 Weeks to arrive

But now that I have put that on, its working perfectly and I've been practising my Welding Skills by making lots of stuff that I don't need

Except the one thing I did need, was a Welding Trolley to push it about on and I found just the thing in a Scrap Yard in the form of a Bakery Trolley, which I hacked about a bit to get the Mig to fit on it and it is just the job

Making a Mig Welding Trolley

Except that is this Trolley had a little flaw, as the Wheels were much too small and kept getting stuck in the Mud of the Perfectly Manicured Lawn, which you can see in the Photo above, at 'Orange Blossom Towers'

One Wheel on my Wagon, that kept getting stuck in the Mud

So what I really needed was another Axle and another couple of Bigger Wheels to put in the Middle and I had just the thing to do the job

Remember this Hanging Garment Rail, which once belonged to the GF that I cut up to make my 'Hybrid Gas Struts' when the GF told me to dump it

'Hybrid Gas Struts' made from Garment Rail

Well as it turns out, this is the 'Gift that really keeps on giving' because as well as the 'Hybrid Struts' in amongst that pile of Junk is another Axle for my Mig Welder, with those little Black Plastic Cross Pieces being of Special Interest

I think I've just 'Struck Gold' those little Black Plastic Cross Pieces, were just what I wanted to make the New Axle

OMG! Just the Job or What! Now all I need are 2 more Wheels, although the hardest part of that job is now out of the way!

So Glad I talked the GF into buying one of those Garment Rails even though we had no place to keep it!

I'll say one thing that Mig is blinking heavy!

Nearly There

Now all I've got to do is try and wheel it into the Garage

Already for Welding up the Exhaust in the Spring

Storing the Reel of Mig Wire away for the Winter to prevent it going rusty

Maybe it would have been easier to take it to an Exhaust Shop but I guess I just like doing things the hard way

The following users liked this post:
Greg in France (12-31-2018)
Old 01-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

What Else Did I Get For Christmas (3)
Well Strictly Speaking it wasn't this:

I bought this 1/4 Socket Set in the Summer of 2018 from one of those well known High Street Shops, as I needed it to fix 'Carmen' my 1995 XJS Celebration Convertible

And since it didn't come from a Tool Shop, I wasn't sure what to expect, as I have bought some cheap sockets before that didn't cut the mustard and as such either broke or rounded off

So I bought this in a bit of a rush as if in an act of desperation, as if you haven't got the Tools you need to do the Job, then you are precisely going nowhere and so for just shy of £18 I thought I'd take a Punt and try it out

It took every single thing that I threw at it and in fact I found it quite amazing! as all the Sockets felt solid and the Quality and the content of what was in the box, just exceeded all my expectations

So whenever I go tripping in my XJS this is always the first thing that I put in the Boot/Trunk before I go out, as it has almost everything that I would ever need for a Road Side repair

The most incredible little Took Kit that I'd never be without

I've had this for almost a Year now and I still cannot get over how many useful Tools they've packed inside!

Flexible Extensions, 'Wobble Heads' it's really got the lot and so the First thing on my 'Christmas List' was to buy its 'Big Brother' which was also going to be the 'First Proper Socket Set' that I have ever owned, as I have never had much interest in Mechanics

To be Continued.......

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-01-2019 at 04:34 PM.
Greg in France (01-02-2019)
Old 01-06-2019, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member

What's In That Big Box?

Tool Story

What's in that Big Box?

As a Kid when growing up I never really had much use for tools, except for a few Spanners that were in my dad's garage, which I used to make a go kart that was powered by a Lawn Mower engine

That me and my mates used to ride up and down this local dirt track road, although I can't remember it having any brakes, as the object of the exercise was more to get it going than it ever was to stop

Where looking back at all the things that Kids like me got up to, when I think about it now it also seems surprising that I'm still here in one piece!

Though having said that I've always had a thing for making something out of nothing and as for that Flame Thrower, just don't get me started, except to say those really were the days

As for my dad, he didn't fare much better for although he was a lovely guy and totally non PC, he was a 'Jack of all Trades but a Master of none and to be perfectly honest a bit of a 'Bodger' who never did anything properly

Like the time that he rewired the House which then started a Fire in the Garage which in turn then melted a lead joint in the Gas Pipe, which went on to Start a Fire that even someone like 'Red Adair' might have struggled to put out

Which in its own way I found quite exciting at the time, seeing those fire engines turning up outside the house, which were called out by our next door neighbours, as my dad was quite convinced that all that was needed was a garden hose

That as 'Sod's Law had decreed was not quite long enough to reach the Garage but 'Full Props' to the Firemen who put out all the Flames, that had lit our Street up in the middle of the night

Until the Garage roof was just reduced to nothing more than just a bunch of smouldering black embers, except of course that none of them knew about the broken gas pipe that had melted when the fuse box underneath it had caught fire

At which point those smouldering embers then reignited the Gas that had now built up inside the remaining brick walls of the Garage, which without any warning, went off with a bit of a Bang!

Well maybe Bang! is understating it a little bit, as in truth Explosion is the word you're looking for, as the last thing that I saw were the Garage Double Doors flying through the Air like some sort of a home made Hang Glider

This was a disaster movie that had come to life with Fire Engines and the Street being evacuated, where the only thing that I could see now missing from the Scene was an action Hero just like 'Steve Mc Queen

Together with the upstairs bedroom wall, from which I remember the view was so amazing that when he had the house rebuild mum and dad decided that this would be the perfect time to take advantage of that view and put a Window in

So seeing just what can result if you go and 'Bodge' something, unlike my dad I've always tried to do whatever job I've done just as well as I can, even if I haven't had all the Tools required to do the job

Or to put it another way, let's just say that lessons have been learned and so apart from a few spanners and other bits and pieces that were in the Junk draw of our Kitchen dresser, it was really just a case of make do and mend

Up until one Christmas when one of our relations was kind enough to give me my very own Tool Kit, which I still have to this very day and this is it

Yeah! I know what you're thinking, you'll never repair an XJS with something like that! and you'd be right!

I even broke a Spanner when I hit it with that Hammer and so apart from household stuff it was about as much use as an ashtray on a Motor Bike, although it was a start

And then the next thing that I got was a sort of Socket Set if you could call it such, which just like the Spanners in the Pic above, wasn't really up to very much

For reasons that escape me now, I was thrilled to bits when I got this and I don't know why either!

I guess you've got to Start somewhere but unlike now, at the time I wasn't interested in mechanics and never had the kind of Job where they were required, as the only thing that I wanted to do was to go out and have a good time

Right up until about 4 years ago, when I decided that I would try and get my XJS back on the road, where in order to do that I knew I would need more than just a FBH and Screwdriver!

Where as unbelievable as it may sound, I still didn't have what resembled a proper Tool Kit, as I used to get my Spanners from the 'Pound Shop' and somehow managed to acquire a random jumble of Sockets, which I picked up at Car Boot Sales

'Its Good but it ain't right' Could be the words you're looking for

But the right Socket must be in there somewhere!

Though the 'Breaker Bar' and the 'FBH' were up to now the only recent additions to my motley collection, of what looks like a pile of junk, which I used to get my XJS back on the road

Although I must make special mention of a couple of favourite Tools in my Collection

My indestructible 'Chinese Spanner' which I was unable to break, when I hit it with that FBH!

Battle Scarred and Bloody! my indestructible Socket Wrench that I've used with a 4 foot Scaffold Pole and as you can see has been whacked a few times with that hammer!

Though once I got my XJS back on the Road again, with Special Thanks to 'Greg' and 'Grant' as well as the rest of you Guys that pitched in with suggestions, not forgetting Electrical Genius 'Warrjon'

The next thing to happen was Paranoia set in, where I had developed such a fear of breaking down that I went from one extreme to the other and used to carry every Tool that I could get my hands on, in the Boot/Trunk 'Just in Case!

At this point Paranoia had started to set in, where with a fear of breaking down I used to carry every Tool that I could get my hands on!

And then on Christmas Morning I woke up and smelled the Coffee, when the GF went and bought me the very thing I had been longing for, which was my first proper Socket Set

That instead of that big heap of junk that somehow used to masquerade as Spanners, I now had some proper Tools to Carry in the Car, which look hopefully enough to fix anything

Where the only reason that I asked for these, was that I was so impressed with the smaller Socket Set of the same type that I bought last Summer

If you can't fix your Car at the side of the road with this little lot then I'd say that you've got a big problem!

Just what I always wanted and for the Bargain Price of just under £34 let the games begin!

Old 01-08-2019, 05:38 PM
Veteran Member

Six Wheels On My Welder (Continued)

Welding Needed On My XJS Exhaust
As I need my Mig Welder (which was passed onto me by the GF's Dad) to be fully mobile when moving it round the Garden at 'Orange Blossom Towers' The first thing I did was to mount it on a 4 wheel trolley, which I found in a Scrap Yard

I made a Mig Welding Trolley from one that I found in a Scrap Yard (see previous post but one for full description)

On a level Concrete Surface, this would have been ideal but whenever I've moved it around on 'Grass' the Wheels dig into the ground, so what I really needed was an axle in the middle with 2 much bigger Wheels

And while I was down the 'Scrap Yard' I found just the thing, which was a broken Ride On mower that someone had tried to turn into a 'Go Kart' although unfortunately the engine had got a rod through the side

But it did have a strong Axle on which the PO had fitted 2 Solid Wheels and Tyres of just the right size, which as luck would have it, were just what I wanted to go on my 'Mig Welding Trolley'

The Rear Axle of this Broken Ride On Mower was just what I wanted and only required the minimum of modding!

Axle removed from Scrap Mower

Drilling Mounting Holes for my 'Mig Trolley'

I made an old wooden template to make sure I drilled the Holes in the right place

Trial Fitting the Wooden Template

Axle and Wheels now Bolted in place for which I used Nylon Spacers which came off the GF'S Clothing Rail which She told me to throw in the 'Skip'!

Those Nylon 'Cross Spacers' on that curved tube were just what I wanted to mount the Axle on the Trolley

Exactly what I wanted as the Centre Axle is about One Inch higher than the other 4 Castors which now means that its easy to turn and no longer gets bogged down, as I will need to be able to move it around to repair my XJS Down Pipe

Another unexpected Gift from the GF's Dad was that he treated me to a much larger Bottle of Welding Gas than I had been using before, so now time to practice my Welding before I get to work on the Exhaust

Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

OB, you are the only one I've read here that has both a V12 and 4.0L six. The 4.0L has the overdrive auto I'm guessing; vs the V12 3 speed auto. For everyday use I would imagine you prefer the 6; but for feeling special you like the 12? How many do you have anyway?....Cherry Blossom V-12, Carmine 4.0, Grey V-12? What's your favorite, are they all Convertibles? I have a 90 V-12 convert that I think really needs the 700R4 overdrive. I hope to buy the Quarter Bred 700R4 adapter kit form John's Jags here in the US. I think it will greatly enhance the driveability (per Ronbros and others comments).

Last edited by Fla Steve; 01-09-2019 at 07:51 PM.
orangeblossom (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
OB, you are the only one I've read here that has both a V12 and 4.0L six. The 4.0L has the overdrive auto I'm guessing; vs the V12 3 speed auto. For everyday use I would imagine you prefer the 6; but for feeling special you like the 12? How many do you have anyway?....Cherry Blossom V-12, Carmine 4.0, Grey V-12? What's your favorite, are they all Convertibles? I have a 90 V-12 convert that I think really needs the 700R4 overdrive. I hope to buy the Quarter Bred 700R4 adapter kit form John's Jags here in the US. I think it will greatly enhance the driveability (per Ronbros and others comments).
If you're going to swap transmissions, you should also change the diff ratio, otherwise you won't get the full benefit of the investment.

However, here is an alternative idea that is quite a bit cheaper. I was certain I was going to do either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto conversion, until I got into the habit of just downshifting the T400 slushbox into 2nd going into corners or at stops. In "D" the car tends to start out in 2nd gear and contributes to that sluggish feeling you're looking to overcome. Shifting down to "2" forces the tranny to start in 1st gear and makes it a lot more lively off the line. You might give it a try for a few weeks and see how it works out for you.

The following 2 users liked this post by Mac Allan:
Fla Steve (01-11-2019), orangeblossom (01-10-2019)
Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

I've got 3 X V12 Convertibles

(1) 'Cherry Blossom' V12 XJS (my favourite!)

(2) '50 Shades' my grey V12 XJS

(3) 'The Ice Princess' Arctic Blue V12 XJS

Then there is 'Carmen' my 4.0L Celebration Convertible XJS which I very seldom use, as She almost looks like a new car and so not really worth the risk of getting her Stone Chipped by flying stones

Also 'Carmen' is not a V12 and I prefer the V12 any day! even with its outrageous fuel consumption!

My other XJS's are 2 X 88 V12 Coupes

So that is six altogether although I used to have ten! but decided that I had to cut back as at the previous place where we lived our front garden was being mistaken for a Jaguar dealership

The reality is that you can only drive one Car at once, although ideally you need two, so you've always got one to use while the other one is broken down

But you have got the best of breed, so I would stick with that and I also agree with what Mac said about Manually Shifting to Second, as then you've got engine braking approaching a Corner

That can give you the kind of driving experience that Mac has described

Last edited by orangeblossom; 01-10-2019 at 06:08 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by Mac Allan

However, here is an alternative idea that is quite a bit cheaper. I was certain I was going to do either a 5-speed manual or 4-speed auto conversion, until I got into the habit of just downshifting the T400 slushbox into 2nd going into corners or at stops. In "D" the car tends to start out in 2nd gear and contributes to that sluggish feeling you're looking to overcome. Shifting down to "2" forces the tranny to start in 1st gear and makes it a lot more lively off the line. You might give it a try for a few weeks and see how it works out for you.

If your TH400 is starting off in 2nd gear, there's something wrong with it !

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Fla Steve (01-12-2019), Greg in France (01-10-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 06:44 PM

It starts off in first and is operating correctly...Except the kick-down isn't functioning: cable is inoperative/ frozen I think?
OB I want the 4 speed auto for the overdrive and lockup converter, for high way cruising/economy.
My MPG is around 10-11 in town..horrendous.
So Mac, I wouldn't put steeper gears in it as I'm not looking for much quicker acceleration.
I'll save that for my 92 coupe if I decide to build her. It won't be until spring that I'll decide it's fate.
6 XJS's !!!...Whoa.

Last edited by Fla Steve; 01-11-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 01-12-2019, 01:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

Sorry I can't help you on the Gearbox, as I know very little about them and someone like 'Daim' could be your expert here, though as for fuel consumption with the TH400

With my style of driving I am getting 17.9 and although that's pretty horrendous compared to 'more normal' Cars, that is a price that I'm very willing to pay for the enjoyment

Beer is dearer than Petrol at nearly Four Pounds a Pint, so out of the two, I know which one that I would rather give up and I'm wondering how much more MPG you would get

As at the end of the day with all things considered it might not be worth the 'Candle' as my 4.0L isn't really that much more economical, with maybe 20-25mpg

Fla Steve (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 814 Likes on 515 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug
If your TH400 is starting off in 2nd gear, there's something wrong with it !

Cheers
DD
I never thought I would ever disagree with Doug, whose knowledge and expertise far exceeds mine, but I said 'tends' rather than 'does'.

At some point, I don't recall the exact date, but want to say somewhere between '86-'88, they changed the setup of the T400 to maximize fuel economy. Which meant it was seeking the lowest RPM at any given situation. I don't recall if this was US-only modification or not. It starts off in 1st no problem if you give it enough throttle off the line, but not in typical leisurely around town driving. The advantage of shifting down to "2" is it forces always starting out in 1st, and I believe it also causes upshifts into 2nd at a higher RPM.

It's funny, but in my perhaps faulty recollection, I would have said I learned the shifting trick from Doug...haha.

Fla Steve (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Veteran Member

I'm afraid I must disagree with your disgreement

You might be thinking of the the 4L80E (cousin the the TH400) which was used by Jaguar and was configured to start in 2nd gear when used behind the V12s.

Also, some of the ZF automtatics as used in XJ40s and X300s were configured to start off in 2nd as well, if I recall correctly.

Further, many automatics of the 50s and 60s were designed to start in 2nd, including some used by Jaguar. Some of the older BW models, for instance.

But, with the old TH400, it starts in first

The TH400 was recalibrated, circa 1989, for XJS applications (possibly sedans as well). I can't remember the details offhand...higher WOT shift points, perhaps.... but it didn't include a starts-in-second-gear capability

Cheers
DD

Fla Steve (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 08:56 PM

I've "high-jacked" OB's restoration thread...sorry bout that, but good discussion. The engine seems to be running just fine, but the mileage is very poor.
I consider myself to be a "smooth operator" behind the wheel; easy take offs, lift well in advance when a stop is up coming etc. So what causes the high consumption. The speedo is erratic at times, meaning it takes a few seconds to move the needle, and then it can cut on/off underway; so the odometer may be showing less than actual but not by much. (I just haven't had time to check the speedo transducer in diff or the "black box" transponder in the trunk with my parts car parts.) Anyway now that she runs good, doesn't get hot, steers okay and stops okay (more about the last two comments to come later...), I'd like to get decent MPG? OB you get
meaning "miles per gallon--US gallon vs Imperial UK??? OR
17.9km
per Imperial gallon--4 liters???? I've read in XJS books I should be getting at least 14-15 mpg in town and up 20 mpg on the highway?

Old 01-13-2019, 02:45 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

Don't worry about 'Hi-jacking' as something useful invariably rolls out

On a run around Country Lanes, I get around 17.9 MPG according to the 'Trip Computer' but no idea what I get around Town as if I'm doing any Town driving, I usually take the Merc

Not so much for reasons of economy but more that I never park the XJS near any other Cars, as I am absolutely Paranoid about leaving her unattended

I didn't buy a V12 for economy, so as for the MPG it is what it is (UK Imperial Gallons) and to make matters worse, if they could get worse!

Only fill her up with 'Tesco's' finest 99 Octane 'Momentum' (Only the best for my Baby@'Greg')

I think 14-15 mpg around Town is being a bit Optimistic, as although I've never measured it I would think that 10-12 mpg would be a more realistic sort of figure

If your Speedo is playing up, its more likely to be corroded Tangs on the 'Multi Plugs' where they plug into the back of the Instrument Binnacle

As for the Transducer in the Diff, that would be a 'Nightmare' to try and get out so I would leave that one till last

If your Cruise is working, then it is unlikely to be the Transponder in the 'Black Box' as they get their Signal from the same place

How I fixed the 'Speedo' in my XJS V12 on Page:76 of my 'Cherry Blossom' restoration thread (link to that page is below)

Its not a very difficult job but do be Extremely Careful or everything might stop working if you damage the Printed Circuit on the back of the Instruments

How I Fixed the Speedo in my XJS V12 with a little help from the GF!

Fla Steve (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:06 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
I've read in XJS books I should be getting at least 14-15 mpg in town and up 20 mpg on the highway?
Yeah, "...at least 14-15 mpg in town...." is a bit of a reach.

My XJS (a 1988 Coupe) delivered 12-13 mpg in town....or worse, if I wasn't careful. This would be about 14.5 - 15.6 mpg, imperial

However, 20 mpg highway (24 imperial), perhaps a bit more, should be fairly easy to achieve if you're careful and conditions are right. Steady speed, no long hills, no hot rodding. In others words, plodding along in a boring fashion . This can drop down significantly if you drive the car in a more spirited fashion.

Cheers
DD

The following 2 users liked this post by Doug:
Fla Steve (01-13-2019), orangeblossom (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 09:28 AM

OB I pulled the binacle previously like you suggested. Cleaned the contacts and added a ground wire to the metal buss bar. So it's probably the sensor or transducer. I don't even know yet if the cruise control works..hahaha. Just too many projects on going to keep up....plus taking care of the critical stuff first. Routing the ABS harness from the parts car (tested it, pulled it, no short circuits) but haven't installed yet. On my to do list...plus dealing with the cracked rear hubs. Got one apart off parts car, but can't press out the spindle/axle from the carrier on the other. Took it to a machine shop with 50 ton press, applied heat and she won't frikkin budge!!!!

orangeblossom (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Steve

If anyone can find away to get that Spindle out, then I would put money that 'Greg' would know a way, maybe he'll slide by and show yourself and that machine shop how its done, with or without a 50 Ton Hydraulic Press

Or if not he will find a way around it!

P.S. why don't you go and get yourself a much more economical 'el cheapo' daily driver and keep the XJS for nice days out

Quick Reply: Cherry Blossom - Restoration 1990 XJS V12