XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

'Cherry Blossom Update' I'm going to try and Start her up Today!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by orangeblossom
Hi Daim

Cheers! I don't think that I moved it much and stopped when I saw what was about to happen.

Did you take any Photos?
Have a look in my restoration thread

The following users liked this post:
orangeblossom (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 03:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,740 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbov8
OB, in both the noise seemed to be coming from the fan area, especially the first. It certainly doesn't sound goosed at any rate.
Hi Jim

There was plenty of clearance round the Fan but that 'Tap Tap' noise was really freaking me out!

Old 04-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Well everyone seems to agree that it sounds ok. My next thing would be to allow the engine to idle up to temp keeping a close eye on how she goes and after that a short drive.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:28 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Daim
Sounds just like an engine which hasn't ran for a loooong time.
Hi Daim

16 Years to be Precise but She was running really well after I did the Spark Plugs, until now!

Old 04-30-2017, 03:33 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Addicted2boost
The first video at startup sounded like a spark plug wire arching to ground. You would be able to tell more so at night if someone can start it up for you and you look at the engine.
Hi A2B

I think you might have Nailed it, as it does sound a bit like a bang from a lead, I'll try and do a Video at night.

She was running great before I went and put the mechanical fan back.

Old 04-30-2017, 03:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Well everyone seems to agree that it sounds ok. My next thing would be to allow the engine to idle up to temp keeping a close eye on how she goes and after that a short drive.
Hi Jim

She doesn't have an MOT at the moment but running her up to Temp sounds a good idea.

Old 04-30-2017, 04:26 PM
Received 180 Likes on 124 Posts

High OB,

Sounds pretty good to me and certainly not terminal. At the start of the first video maybe a shorting HT lead at the start or an engine that hasn't run for a while (or a fan blade just momentarily kissing something) but second video sounds ok.

As previously said let it run up to temperature keeping a close watch on all the gauges. If that goes ok and oil and water at normal level and uncontaminated then, if you have any further concerns, a compression test would be my next thought.

Good luck,

LeeP

Old 04-30-2017, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leep123
High OB,

Sounds pretty good to me and certainly not terminal. At the start of the first video maybe a shorting HT lead at the start or an engine that hasn't run for a while (or a fan blade just momentarily kissing something) but second video sounds ok.

As previously said let it run up to temperature keeping a close watch on all the gauges. If that goes ok and oil and water at normal level and uncontaminated then, if you have any further concerns, a compression test would be my next thought.

Good luck,

LeeP
Hi Lee

That is a massive relief I can tell you, next job is to find which lead is shorting, although it only seems to do that the first time you Start her up.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hey OB . . . reassuring to hear that 2nd clip . . . big relief, because compared to advice thus far, my analysis of the first clip leads me not towards HT, but back to cams, buckets and valves . . . shades of hydraulic tappets / cam followers which have bled down after non-use . . . and which, of course, this engine doesn't have.

On any rebuild done by a lesser mortal (ahem), and based on both your vid clips, I would have diagnosed inadequately oiled buckets on assembly which have temporarily stuck at start-up . . . but with stuck valve(s) not saying "hello" to piston(s), just getting slapped by too wide clearances. A few rotations, a little heat, and much needed lubrication, and the buckets are now fully following the cam lobes.

By going back and forth between clips, and despite my deafness in one ear, am I the only one who can still hear (or imagine?) some residual tappet noise, even throughout the second clip? Not for a minute do I suggest an immediate re-strip to check valve clearances, nor do I suspect an admittedly far easier compression test will now add much. Better to focus on getting her up and on the road, putting miles on, then re-torque heads and re-check valve clearances at 1,000.

You have come so far, and I sense the Jaguar gods are still smiling.
Cheers and best wishes mate,

Ken

Old 04-30-2017, 11:55 PM
Veteran Member

Hi Ken

Nothing wrong with your hearing, as I also detect some Tappet noise as well, although very feint in that Second Clip.

So while I'm not completely out of the wood just yet, things may not be quite as bad as I feared, although of course I don't want to speak too soon.

She probably needs a bit of a run but one or two other jobs to tidy up first.

She also recently had an Oil and Filter Change a Month ago.

But that 'Tap Tap' noise on Start Up had me worried and thinking 'dropped valve'

Alex

Old 05-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Received 324 Likes on 229 Posts

OB the second video the engine sounder strong, I did hear the noise in the first but seems too have gone away quick. at first it sounded a bit like an exhaust leak but it stopped, the other as Daim said, sounded like in around the fan. but looks like the Jaguar gods have blessed you.

orangeblossom (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 01:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,410 Likes on 876 Posts

Hi Ken
Nothing wrong with your hearing, as I also detect some Tappet noise as well, although very feint in that Second Clip. So while I'm not completely out of the wood just yet, things may not be quite as bad as I feared.
Alex
Hey Alex, if as I suspect, the initial cam slap appears to now have bucket/s and valve/s fully seated . . . residual feint tappet noise is to be welcomed not feared. You may find this strange but we always prepped rebuilds above the top end of recommended valve clearances for the 1,000m "running in" . . . then all plugs out for analysis; full dry & oiled compression tests recorded; then re-torqued head/s; and finally, full check & adjust of valve clearances, before buttoning up, plugs in, optimize tune and road test.

OB lives to fight the good fight, but you are wise to pay homage to the gods and tread softly.
Cheers and best wishes mate,

Ken

Last edited by cat_as_trophy; 05-01-2017 at 01:13 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-01-2017, 02:25 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

With Ken also.

Some tappet noise on a V12 that has sat for 16 years, and only idled basically since raised from sleep, is a GOOD thing.

Get the MOT, drive it to Greg's and back, and put the lead boots on, Take a dose of "brave pills", then revisit the noises.

All my V12's were tappetty after too much suburban use, so any excuse for a road trip, and there is nothing as exhilarating as a V12 at 6000rpm on the highway.

That engine is fine, and we will discuss it more when it tops 500K miles.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 05-01-2017 at 05:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
cat_as_trophy (05-01-2017), orangeblossom (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 03:55 AM
Received 201 Likes on 132 Posts

from what i could see and hear its that bloody fan. which restaurant?

just looked again and unless my eyes and ears are fooling me (very possible) every time there is a tap noise the fan seems to pause slightly as if it is clumping something. Have a look for "witness" marks on the fan or surrounding sticky out bits (technical term)

after all the heartache its caused you over the past few days i think she needs a damn good thrashing. dont worry about an mot as you will be going too fast for the "old bill" to catch you

Last edited by leo newbiggin; 05-01-2017 at 04:41 AM. Reason: addition
The following 2 users liked this post by leo newbiggin:
Grant Francis (05-01-2017), orangeblossom (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 04:38 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by daverb
OB the second video the engine sounder strong, I did hear the noise in the first but seems too have gone away quick. at first it sounded a bit like an exhaust leak but it stopped, the other as Daim said, sounded like in around the fan. but looks like the Jaguar gods have blessed you.
Hi Dave

It feels like I'm being punished, for Something I haven't done (Yet!) which is basically to drive the blinking thing.

So big lesson out there for everyone, unless you want to end up replacing all the Calipers, renewing all the Brake Hoses, replacing all the Brake

Pads, Buying 4 New Tyres.

Then by being Scared to death when the Engine Starts to make Strange Noises

I could go on but I'm sure you have got the idea...........

And then you wonder why it isn't working!

Grant Francis (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 04:41 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Ken

Cheers!

Maybe I dodged a Bullet this time but the sooner I get that MOT the better!

Old 05-01-2017, 04:55 AM
Veteran Member

Hi Grant

Nice idea but I may have to Win the Lottery on Roll over Week just to pay for the Petrol!

Had a little Trip out on Saturday, where we were promised a nice Sunny day and just for a change this time they got it right!

And that cost me £45 in just Petrol alone!

Which was in my Grey XJS

That still needs a name, although I'm suspecting 'Juicy Lucy' is already taken.

But in any event after your advice as well as that from everyone else, I am now feeling much more Optimistic.

So Cheers everyone and Thanks for all your help and reassurance.

Although the Saga Continues, as one of my Brake Pipes is Leaking!

The following 2 users liked this post by orangeblossom:
cat_as_trophy (05-01-2017), Grant Francis (05-01-2017)
Old 05-01-2017, 05:01 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by leo newbiggin
from what i could see and hear its that bloody fan. which restaurant?

just looked again and unless my eyes and ears are fooling me (very possible) every time there is a tap noise the fan seems to pause slightly as if it is clumping something. Have a look for "witness" marks on the fan or surrounding sticky out bits (technical term)

after all the heartache its caused you over the past few days i think she needs a damn good thrashing. dont worry about an mot as you will be going too fast for the "old bill" to catch you
Hi Leo

It wasn't the Fan, as I took my time in lining that up just right.

And will try and get a booking at a super dooper restaurant as soon as the Bank Hols are over.

Old 05-01-2017, 05:12 AM
Received 10,286 Likes on 6,807 Posts

Which was in my Grey XJS

That still needs a name, although I'm suspecting 'Juicy Lucy' is already taken.

Alex,

THE GREY GHOST, nuff said.

As for petrol, same as death and taxes, cannot dodge any of them.

Old 05-01-2017, 07:42 AM
Veteran Member

Nice one Grant!

though I think that 'Amazing Greys' sounds better?