XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Crawling from the Wreckage - Coupe Guy considering a Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 02:45 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Crawling from the Wreckage - Coupe Guy considering a Convertible

My '91 XJS coupe was in a bad collision a few years ago, kept it covered on my driveway planning to get it back on the road again. However, life got in the way, and ultimately I decided to part with it.

Been driving a "practical" car since the accident, and thought I had gotten the V12 bug out of my system.

And then...I saw her. A beautiful '91 convertible in champagne gold, low miles, nice price, not far from a good friend I visit often.

Contacted the owner, he knows the car's complete history, always maintained, etc. Checking it out next weekend, bringing it to a local Jag repair shop for a pre-purchase inspection.

Besides the usual XJS gremlins to look for, anything special to check on a convertible?

Old 04-27-2019, 02:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 311 Posts

Obligatory

Welcome back - I know the feeling!

Old 04-27-2019, 03:55 PM
Veteran Member
Received 623 Likes on 412 Posts

I left XJS land a few years ago, when my son was born. Now Im going to have a daughter. I said eff it! Im getting an XJS! Wanted the V12 but I got talked down from it by a V12 owner🙄. Now I feel like he tricked me because I still want one. Instead I own 2 slant six models. Together they make a slant 12. So Im in the club by a technicality. Get the V12 if it purrs and keeps her cool

Old 04-28-2019, 12:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 806 Likes on 510 Posts

inertian,

In comparison to your coupe, the convertible is actually a bit heavier so you might notice a small performance reduction. Even with all the extra reinforcement that increases the weight, you'll still feel a bit of 'flex' on the conv. that the coupe doesn't have. The other major difference is obviously noise, the coupe is obviously better on that front in top/windows up driving. That said, I've only owned XJ-S convertibles, and for me personally I'd never consider a coupe. If the top needs to go up, I just don't take the car out of the garage.

Unique things to check out: make sure the top and the side windows operate properly and aren't sluggish. Check the condition of the top and headliner, and given the age, the headliner foam is probably shot even if it looks fine on the cloth side so you might want to reserve $ to replace it and maybe the top as well. With the top down, but without the boot cover in place, take a flashlight to the rear quarter window area. If the window seals aren't looked after or the drains get clogged, leaves, dirt, and water can get down in that area. On a test drive take it over a speed bump or two, put some lateral force etc. and see if there are any squeaks, clunks, groans, that seem beyond the usual XJ-S ones (bushings, trans mount, etc.). Look very closely at the condition of the leather, wood, carpet, etc. for instance the leather could look nice, but still have enough sun damage that it can't be brought back from the brink. Same with the clear coat on the wood. The sun can really be a b****.

Good Luck

Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 AM
Old 04-30-2019, 10:36 AM

Thanks for the insight into the convertible differences. The top was replaced about five years ago, and I'm bringing a buddy along who is somewhat of a convertible expert to check out those areas I am not familiar with. Along with the planned pre-purchase inspection, I'm hopeful I can make an informed, intelligent decision as to whether or not to take this cat home.

Which reminds, me, I need to clean out the garage...just in case..

Old 04-30-2019, 10:42 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

One other thing also to remember, is in order to move the top you must apply the Parking Brake handle (US Cars on the left of the drivers seat) and once set it goes back down. So do not forget to release the Parking Brake prior to driving away. Also the Aircon (for fuel rail cooling) will stay on regardless.

Jeremy

1991 XJ-S V12.