XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

Distributorless ignition for V12 5.3, does it exist?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 3,056 Likes on 2,031 Posts

Originally Posted by warrjon
Megajolt is no longer available.
Looks like it is available. Doesn't support 12 cylinders though.
https://www.autosportlabs.com/produc...ired_ignition/

The following users liked this post:
ronbros (02-03-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 12:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 354 Likes on 214 Posts

I drew attention to these MaxxECU PRO - Most advanced and professional engine management guys from Sweden. This system can work with V12, included ignition COP. I calculated that everything with coils and different sensors would be 4500. But the customs fees spoils everything, plus 1500!!!

ronbros (02-04-2019)
Old 02-04-2019, 05:05 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

very nice ECU set! i like it.

but Yikes thats a lot of money,, no doubt its worth it?

ron

Old 02-06-2019, 09:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stevecosta
G'day I was looking for a bit of info myself and stumbled upon this! Also I found someone that makes a system
http://www.electromotive-inc.com/pro...ontrol/tec-3r/
I do have a question in regards to the person you found that will make the system. Is it possible to get his information?

Old 02-06-2019, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jagboi64
Take a look at www-car-part.com. I see some distributors for $100-150. I can't remember when the 6 cylinder came out for the US market, but make sure it's for a V12.

Megasquirt will support coil on plug for up to 8 cylinders, 12 needs to be wasted spark - i.e. it fires the plugs every revolution of the engine, so the plug also fires on the exhaust stroke. This is what the Ford EDIS does too. EDIS isn't a stand alone system, the module still needs a timing signal to it; that comes from the ECU, either a Ford EEC IV or a Megasquirt. The EDIS modules are built for a specific number of cylinders, and unfortunately they never made a 12 cylinder version - just 4, 6, 8 and 10.

You can't run the same program twice, because the timing isn't the same bank to bank. That's why Philip Lochner needed to design the delay module, to account for the time shift to move to the other bank. Think of it as two inline 6 cylinder engines, but one is running 60 crank degrees behind the other.
Oooh Ok, Now that makes sense. In that case I only need a few parts. Which ones is a good question. Ok now I just need to write down EXACTLY what I want to do with the JagRodd.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by warrjon
Installing and tuning a programmable ECU is not an easy task, and if you are not familiar with how ignition and fuel work your chance of success is small.

If I were you I would buy a cheap parts car and fix what you have.

If you do decided to head down the programmable ECU path MS2 now supports V12 ignition directly so no need to complicate things with EDIS. You need 6 ignition and 2 injector outputs to drive the V12. Megajolt is no longer available. Be prepared to spend at least $1000 as you will need wideband O2 and/or Dyno time to tune it.
Thank you WarrJon.

Old 02-06-2019, 10:19 PM

That's quit a bit of money on anylevel. Including if you were going to do Street or Raccing. I'll have to keep going with my other options. But thanks for the info.

Old 02-07-2019, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 939 Posts

king rodd,, show us a picture of your Jagrodd??

Old 02-07-2019, 09:20 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRodd
That's quit a bit of money on anylevel. Including if you were going to do Street or Raccing. I'll have to keep going with my other options. But thanks for the info.
KingRodd I have a used Marrelli Distributor I'd let go very reasonably (haven't really considered it's value but I don't need it. I also have extra Ignition AMPS, coils and the ECU...not sure what all you need.
I'd also like to state, I have a 92 with a bad engine; burned valves I believe. BUT it is modified with a Mega Squirt 3 ECU, amplifiers, sensors and wiring/harness. It has 2 six pack coils; I was told they were Chrysler mini-van coils. The system uses the older 3 wire O2 sensor, but the ECU is compatible for wide band. It has a crank trigger with a reluctor wheel added behind the front damper. I don't know much about how it all works yet, but it was set up by a Pro. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the car. I have a spare engine that passes a compression test, but I haven't done a leak-down test yet. I may be interested in selling it, or I can give you the guys name/company that built the ECU/System in my car. He says my system cost the PO over $2K. PS I am building THE Original "JagRod" see my thread here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...1/#post1822025

Last edited by Fla Steve; 02-07-2019 at 09:32 PM.
KingRodd (02-12-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:16 AM

Hi RonBros,
I must warn you that it won't be a pretty picture, but I'll post one. I'll even try to post some video on YouTube when i get a chance.

Old 02-12-2019, 12:18 AM

Hey FlaSteve,
I'd like to follow up on those offers of jag parts what's the protocal for sharing contact info?

Old 02-12-2019, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
KingRodd I have a used Marrelli Distributor I'd let go very reasonably (haven't really considered it's value but I don't need it. I also have extra Ignition AMPS, coils and the ECU...not sure what all you need.
I'd also like to state, I have a 92 with a bad engine; burned valves I believe. BUT it is modified with a Mega Squirt 3 ECU, amplifiers, sensors and wiring/harness. It has 2 six pack coils; I was told they were Chrysler mini-van coils. The system uses the older 3 wire O2 sensor, but the ECU is compatible for wide band. It has a crank trigger with a reluctor wheel added behind the front damper. I don't know much about how it all works yet, but it was set up by a Pro. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the car. I have a spare engine that passes a compression test, but I haven't done a leak-down test yet. I may be interested in selling it, or I can give you the guys name/company that built the ECU/System in my car. He says my system cost the PO over $2K. PS I am building THE Original "JagRod" see my thread here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/m...1/#post1822025
Oh and by the way dear FlaSteve, I have two things to say

1 I have family in Florida in the orlando area and I was going to drive MY "JagRodd" down there when I finished the rebuild. Hope to meet youwhen I get there.

2 I was claiming the JagRodd TITLE (LOL) for a couple of reasons a) because I own a Jag and b) because my name is RODD (LOL).
So let me finish the build and then we can share pics and race for the title. SIMPLY FOR BRAGING RIGHTS. And to grow a friendship. I think it'd be fun. What do you think?

The following 2 users liked this post by KingRodd:
Fla Steve (02-13-2019), ronbros (02-12-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 09:22 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by KingRodd
Hey FlaSteve,
I'd like to follow up on those offers of jag parts what's the protocal for sharing contact info?
Don't know if there is a protocol? PMs work of course. I will PM you my phone number and email.
Love to meet up. You may have a stronger claim to fame for the "JagRod" due to your name...haha;
It's just that I used the title for my S-Type build...BTW did you check it out? I'll send a PM with my info.

Last edited by Fla Steve; 02-13-2019 at 09:30 PM.