Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Drivers seat stuck on 95 (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/drivers-seat-stuck-95-a-217002/)

Spikepaga 04-28-2019 05:01 AM

Drivers seat stuck on 95

Hi gents

my seat is stuck, traveling only 2 or three inches forward from the furthest back position to the front. I have simultaneously tried to force the seat forward while pushing, and still no luck

I have searched and found a few posts of facelift cars with the same problem, however, I have not found info on if this fault is the motor itself. The posts I have read seem to be corrected with just readjusting things. , so I am not sure if it’s a matter of ordering a new motor or trying to lubricate parts of the mechanism.

Anyone know what typically causes this ?

icsamerica 04-28-2019 07:32 AM

The track is kind of a worm gear and grit can jam them up. Spray PB blaster or some other specialized lubricant using a straw into the inner side of the track from the front. It will run back. Then keep running the seat forward and back repeatedly until it un sticks. Might take an hour. You should do this with the engine on as the extra 2 volts gives the motor extra umph.

Spikepaga 04-29-2019 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by icsamerica (Post 2061913)
The track is kind of a worm gear and grit can jam them up. Spray PB blaster or some other specialized lubricant using a straw into the inner side of the track from the front. It will run back. Then keep running the seat forward and back repeatedly until it un sticks. Might take an hour. You should do this with the engine on as the extra 2 volts gives the motor extra umph.

Thanks. Tried this yesterday, no luck yet. I am goi f to buy one of those long aerosol hoses so I can hopefully reach the right area and they the oil soak

Spikepaga 05-06-2019 07:26 AM

The only thing I have achieved thus far is having my car small strongly of penetrating oil. The seat won’t budge. I need to figure out how to remove it to clean and restore or remove whatever is blocking it.

MHF25 05-06-2019 09:21 AM

Did you check the mounting bolts? 2 front 2 rear. Sometimes they come loose, which causes a binding that hinders the seat movement. Had this happen to my 93 XJS.

Softball60 05-06-2019 02:36 PM

Can you expose the back two (2) mounting bolts? If this is possible you should be able to reposition the seat back to expose t5he front two (2).

If this is possible you should be able to remove the seat and work on it.

If you have a 12V source you can connect the necessary two wires in the gray or bulk connector and operate the seat with it flipped over and see what is going on.

This is what I did when I reupholstered my seats.

Goode Luck

Softball60/Paul

Spikepaga 05-06-2019 03:17 PM

Success!

I was able to loosen the two front, shake the seat, then loosen the ones in the back and it look like a broken piece of plastic (not sure for what) had fallen in there. So nice to win at least one battle ...