Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Electrical help (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/electrical-help-220396/)

johnlayla 07-11-2019 10:32 PM

Electrical help

Hi everyone, pulled the wiring out on my 6.0 v12 to refurbish some time ago and now suffering from brain fade. Can anyone fill me in on the "shorting plug" in the engine management harness. it is green/pink from ecu then becomes black/green after shorting plug. The problem is I can't recall what this plug is or what it looks like, can anyone help???

yarpos 07-12-2019 04:35 AM

Hi John

You will be far more likely to get knowledgable eyeballs on your problem and some help if you post this in the relevant model forum.

Very few visit this area and none of them that I know off know much about the V12. If you post to the XJ6 area you may get some feedback from Grant Francis or Doug Dwyer who have lotso knowledge in that area.

GGG 07-12-2019 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by johnlayla (Post 2097639)
...... can anyone help???

John,

I've moved your question from Australia - Victoria / Tasmania Region to XJS forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

warrjon 07-12-2019 04:46 PM

The plug is for the strategy link for Marelli ignition ECU. With the plug installed the ignition timing is advanced for 95RON fuel, with the plug out 91RON fuel

Doug 07-12-2019 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by johnlayla (Post 2097639)
Hi everyone, pulled the wiring out on my 6.0 v12 to refurbish some time ago and now suffering from brain fade. Can anyone fill me in on the "shorting plug" in the engine management harness. it is green/pink from ecu then becomes black/green after shorting plug. The problem is I can't recall what this plug is or what it looks like, can anyone help???

Not sure about the later cars but earlier versions had a 'shorting plug' in the harness immediately adjacent to the ECU....with the same wire colors you've mentioned. Red connector, on a sub-harness that was a few inches long. This was for enabling/disabling O2 sensor feedback for testing.

Is this what you are referring to?

If not, the only thing I can think of is the Marelli stretegy link as mentioned by Warren. That's in the engine bay, typically in the neighborhood of the LH intake manifold, towards the rear....if I recall correctly

Cheers
DD

johnlayla 07-13-2019 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by yarpos (Post 2097707)
Hi John

You will be far more likely to get knowledgable eyeballs on your problem and some help if you post this in the relevant model forum.

Very few visit this area and none of them that I know off know much about the V12. If you post to the XJ6 area you may get some feedback from Grant Francis or Doug Dwyer who have lotso knowledge in that area.

OK I am a bit out of touch with forums but will try to work it out

johnlayla 07-13-2019 09:02 PM

yep finally tracked it down on a later version of the wiring harness outlay, thanks for the reply