Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   engine fire 1989 XJS (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/engine-fire-1989-xjs-157889/)

timsalyer 02-15-2016 02:36 PM

engine fire 1989 XJS

Hello all;
just bought 2 more Jags. 1987 and a 1989
1989 xjs had an engine fire and need help on the wiring harness and all the related parts on the top of motor (the other owner had a gas leak and did not fix it so it caught fire). Also need to find a drivers outside door handles for both these old cars. Would like to find a good repair manual that dont cost much. I like the old school manuals as the computer just dont do it for me all the time and am having a hard time finding good info. Would like to make my own harness for the 89. has anyone done this before here on the forums.

superchargedtr6 02-15-2016 04:35 PM

I made my own harness for my 89. Its not all that hard if you follow the schematic. The only thing that can complicate it, is it being a Marelli ignition car. Very easy to tell the difference. Look at the distributor cap. If it is a large diameter, with only a single coil wire in the center, it has the same Lucas ignition as the 87. If it has a smaller diameter cap, with a center coil wire, as well as another coil wire just off center, it is a Marelli car. The Marelli ignition is a great ignition that many seem to be leery of. The only thing is, the Marelli ignition has small coax going to the crank speed sensors. It HAS to have these. I can fill you in much more, but you need to determine what you have first. There is a small black box on top of the engine of the 87. If the 89 has the same, look no further. That too, indicates a Lucas ignition.
As far as a workshop manual, i would shop eBay for a factory manual. Maybe not all that inexpensive, but well worth the money. For absolutely free though, you can download the manual from Kirby Palm. Hundreds of pages of "experience in a book"

timsalyer 04-01-2016 10:48 PM

I have been looking on ebay for factory manuals and have not seen any at all. This car has the Lucas wiring for sure though. Been looking around for a parts car but cant find that either. seems like these cars have all disappeared as I just dont see any of them around. If you have some wiring help diagrams it would help along with a source for the plugs. This car was burnt and there is not much in the way t trace the wires. Thanks for the help!

Steve M 04-02-2016 03:35 AM

Lots of useful stuff on here.

JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Paul_59 04-02-2016 07:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Lots of PDF format manual on the internet, many available free.

This may be useful

Safari 04-02-2016 09:09 AM

Contact David over at EverydayXJ.com. He has a lot of used XJS parts and may have the harnesses that you need. His prices are very reasonable and it will save you a lot of time over making your own. Tell him Mark sent you.

Mark

kenatofc 04-06-2016 12:18 AM

I have two sets of door handles, both from 89 xjs. what interior parts do you need with them ??
Ken in WV you can pm me.

lonejag 04-06-2016 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Steve M (Post 1434006)

jag repair does not completely download on my computer. gets stuck at 98% and I get a message that says internet stopped working window. (windows 8)