XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

EPIC road trip purchase of my XJS! My first Jaguar!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default EPIC road trip purchase of my XJS! My first Jaguar!

So I've been meaning to get on this site for a while as I recently purchased a 1992 XJS coupe. I've been on here a lot and all of the posts helped me with my purchase.

Thanks for all of the great stuff you guys post on here and I really like that there is a community of people that stay in touch for these vehicles. It really helped sway me to purchase an XJS.

It took me a while to decide which year coupe I wanted and I settled on the 93 model after seeing a beautiful ride on Craigslist in Utah. Unfortunately I got beat out for that car and someone purchased it before me. Luckily I came across a great deal for the car I ended up purchasing and I convinced myself that if it was available I wasn't going to pass up the chance on getting it. It was located in Michigan an hour away from Detroit and I quickly contacted the seller to set up a date to meet.

I decided that the price and condition of the car was too great to wait around for another deal like that closer to my state. It only had 85K on the odometer and the carfax came back clean. I rented a car in NYC and drove 12 freaking hours straight to Michigan with only 3 hours of sleep. (It was my girlfriend's sister's bday the night before) This was on 4th of July weekend. Traffic was horrible going into Michigan from Ohio. The drive was dreadful. Furthermore they gave me a crappy Mitsubishi Galant to drive.

I arrived late in the evening and was tired but was pleasantly surprised at what I saw. The car was beautifully kept. The car had a custom paint job, nice rims, the interior was clean, the tires were new and the engine sounded and looked great. The owner lived in the boondocks and had a three car garage. He had a nice Charger and a few other muscle cars. I'm not too handy with cars mechanically but aside from noticing that it needed front it's right control arm bushing replaced, maybe shocks, and the air conditioning wasn't working I was pretty much sold. The car drove and sounded great.

I purchased it cash and drove away to go get a hotel. I was exhausted.

Driving back to the hotel was great no issues. Got a cheap room at the Holiday Inn Detroit airport. Nice and modern rooms. Slept like a baby!!

I woke up the next day excited to get home and my girlfriend drove the rental back to Budget. I was also very afraid and on pins and needles hoping the car would hold up on such a long drive. I knew that I was taking a huge risk driving back so far in such an old car.

Everything in the beginning was great driving back. The car's engine was super quiet. The transmission shifted really nicely and I loved the car's seats and how low I felt to the ground. The Ohio turnpike is filled with huge Trucks and the speed limit is like 70mph so being a city boy I was a little taken aback from these huge 16 Wheelers speeding at 70 to 100mph next to me in a car that was so low.

Now on to the good parts!

Unfortunately....3 hours into my trip back the car started showing that the engine was getting real hot on the temperature gage.

I pulled off to the side of the Ohio Turnpike and was very worried. I've read this forum a lot and know that an XJS overheating is bad news. Many things can happen so I called a few local mechanics I found online doing a google search on my phone and I chose to go to a Tireman service center.

The mechanics were very nice but looks like they weren't very experienced with Jags. After 3 hours of tinkering they found that one of the fans had wiring that was sort of corroded and was shorting out once it rubbed against metal. They fixed the wire and got the fan to start working again. They also sprayed the radiator with a high power water hose. We drove the car and the engine temperature was back under control.

They only charged me about $45 bucks for fixing the wire since it took them 3 hours to find the issue. I was back on the road.

The drive was wonderful.

Unfortunately about 2 hours later while still on the Ohio Turnpike the car suddenly loses power!!! Luckily I was doing about 75 and was right next to an exit. I was able to pull out of the exit next to a toll station. The engine light came on and I was getting a code of FF14. I was pissed and afraid that I was royally screwed.

I called my roadside assistance and they towed me free of charge to a hotel since it was already late and most places would be closing. I was also exhausted and needed sleep.

Luckily the Jaguar of Cleveland Ohio in Solon Ohio was only 10 miles away from the hotel. We woke up early in the AM and proceeded to have it towed there free of charge again.

The whole Jaguar staff was very professional and welcoming. They told me it would be an hour before they could diagnose the problem. They chauffeured my girlfriend and I to a nearby restaurant while we waited in a Range Rover and bought us breakfast.

About an hour later they called me up to tell me the bad news so I headed back to the dealership.

They had the car hoisted up and they showed me that the right Catalytic Converter blew and sent shreds down the exhaust clogging the whole system. They said it would take a few days for parts to arrive or that they could just remove the catalytic converter to get it back up and running and I could be on my way. $550 for the total job of removing the converter.

I initially told them to go ahead and start the job but after consulting with my brother in law over the phone, he said I should have the car towed back as other problems could arise on the way back. He also stated that I didn't want to be stuck in the middle of the countryside in Pennsylvania if the car were to breakdown.

The jaguar folks recommended a guy who said he'd transport the car for me on a flatbed for $500 bucks back to NYC from Ohio. Extremely cheap so I said yes.

I rented a car at budget again and left the jaguar in Ohio. This time I got a Volkswagen Passat which drove like a beauty unlike the crappy Galant.

Two days later the Jaguar arrived on a flatbed.

The car is still parked in an indoor garage and I have yet to take her to a mechanic until I decide what I'm going to do with her.

The mechanic in the Jaguar dealership said that he hated the v12 engine and because they were too expensive to service. He said I should swap the engine out for a V8. Not sure if I should do that but I'm entertaining the idea. I'll post another thread soon asking for advice on that topic.

I really don't know what I am going to decide to do once I get her out on the road but first I have to get the catalytic converter fixed and have a good mechanic look her over to tell me if there are any other issues besides the front bushing and AC problem. I'm thinking of taking her to Jag Pro in Bellemore.

Was I an idiot for trying to drive it back from so far away? lol Take a look at the car's pics and let me know what you guys think.

Hope I didn't purchase a money pit. haha Wish me luck. Thanks for reading my long *** story and take a look at the pic of my new toy.

Attached Thumbnails EPIC road trip purchase of my XJS!  My first Jaguar!-jaguar.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
JimC64 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 05:29 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Welcome to the forum badKat147,

I've copied your post to the New Member Area - Intro a MUST section. Many members will be interested to read your story but miss it if they don't usually view the XJS section.

Here's the link to it:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/n...jaguar-100454/

Graham

Last edited by GGG; 08-12-2013 at 05:35 AM.
BadKat174 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 PM
Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Are you stupid for trying that drive? Nah, that's great!

Did you buy a money pit? Not necessarily. The car is going to need some things. If you're able to do some of the work yourself it might not be that bad.

I think it's sort of funny that the mechanic at the Jaguar dealer told you to get a V8! I have a V8 in my XJ6 (shares many of the same parts with the XJS) and I've never looked back.

BadKat174 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 05:23 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

i don't mean this to be a taunt, or hijack but i purchased my XJS, a 91 5.3 v12, sight unseen on ebay--from florida.

there were a few clues that the previous owner had kept up (or updated) the maintenance: a reference to replacing "ALL" rubber hoses and wires under the hood, custom installed hood vents (a sign that he understood the importance of cooling the V12), electric fan with new thermostats. and i'm finding other bits and pieces that he upgraded every time i open the hood.

anyway, also dragged my girlfriend to fetch the thing, but flew to orlando and drove it all the way back with no problems.

when you get her up and running we should have an NYC XJS ride!

do you have a local mechanic who knows the car? PM me and i can let you know who i use.

oh yeah: Sweet Wheels! 18's?

Last edited by DrScientist; 08-12-2013 at 05:26 PM.
BadKat174 (08-12-2013)
Old 08-12-2013, 06:10 PM

Thanks for posting the link in that section Graham!

FastKat...haha...yea he stated that just tuning the car up is pretty expensive and that most mechanics don't like working on them. I can afford it but at the same time I'd like to keep this car for a really long time and any way I can make this car easier on my pockets to keep....is the route I may take.

Dr. Scientist! Sweet! I'm glad I'm not the only one crazy enough to drive a car back from so far away after purchasing it privately. haha

Once I get her out on the road I would definitely love to link up with other jag enthusiasts. Where in NYC are you located? I'm in Manhattan. I don't have a mechanic yet but would love a recommendation to a good one. I keep reading that Jagpro in Bellemore Long Island is a pretty good shop.

Yes the wheels are 18's. I didn't think I would like them at first as the owner didn't take pictures of the car that were very flattering for the wheels but when I saw them in person I was pretty impressed in what good shape they were in. It looks like this guy had only driven this car to the store and back. Wheels are rims are pretty new.

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping the V12 under the hood if I can find a good mechanic to help me maintain the cooling system and other engine components etc.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:24 PM

BTW anyone know what would be the cost for parts and labor on a catalytic converter? Also, besides upgrading the cooling system with new parts....what can be done to modernize the exhaust system on this year jag?

I know that most new cars don't have two catalytic converters. Is this something that is totally necessary? Keep in mind that NYC has strict emission laws so I can't just rip them out.

Thanks!

Old 08-12-2013, 08:34 PM
Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi Graham

yes, we understand your situation, but at the same time know that the good times will roll. Buying a XJS is no different to buying any other second hand car; there will be some issues and yes, it will be frustrating. But, at the end of the day you will have a car that is second to none and one that will delight you every time you get behind the wheel.

when we bought my wife's 1984 XJS-HE the same story unfolded insofar that she drove it from Melbourne to our home some 350km away. Same radiator/overheating problems together with some irritating minor stuff that had not shown up during the test drive. as a result she also had to call in the breakdown service twice during her journey. when she got home the car went to the local mechanic with a brief to fix the overheating, and to deal with the minor problems without giving him a deadline.

The result after a month was an exceptional car that is an absolute joy to drive and one that she now has a full understanding of its complexity and the need to take care with maintenance, e.g. a completely fresh start.

stick with it and fix the problems and you will receive years of pleasure in return.

have fun
BernardS

Old 08-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Received 92 Likes on 55 Posts

manhattan, east village here.

a v12 is a lot of engine for tooling around town, but this car glides and wafts along like it belongs everywhere. just take her out to the NJT or LIE to open her up every week or two and she'll be happy.

and you can't beat the thumbs up, turning heads, and approving nods and smiles.

pm'd you about a mechanic in town. (not sure of forum rules about posting about vendors and mechanics)

Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Bold move for an EPIC story. Wish it had a better ending... but it ain't over yet, is it?

We on this Jaguar forum are far too polite for name-calling (for the most part)! After all, we each have our bold moves and epic stories relating to our Jaguars. That is how I have three XJ sedans parked at my house, and all of them are mine!

Congrats on your new XJS. Someday I hope to own one of those too!

BadKat174 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Received 99 Likes on 93 Posts

BadKat,
I do hope you keep the V-12. Not so many left now in running order. That engine is the only claim to fame the car has. With a Chevy engine it may be more dependable but opening the bonnet will not be nearly as interesting.
Cheers, RagJag

BadKat174 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 552 Likes on 377 Posts

Welcome, enjoyed your story. Nice car too. Glad it did not set on fire. Other people with the FF14 have had that happen. Buy an extinguisher ASAP.

In spite of your problems with the car, I do not see the point in buying a V12 Jaguar and shoehorning a Chevy motor in, unless your car was saved from the scrapper, and even then, a V12 is very much a workable , fixable engine. Actually I can not believe that a mechanic who works on modern Jaguar engines , which are actually much more difficult to work on than a V12, would make such a lame comment. They are not "difficult and expensive" to work on. They do however require a lot of pre-emptive attention.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Bold move for an EPIC story. Wish it had a better ending... but it ain't over yet, is it?

We on this Jaguar forum are far too polite for name-calling (for the most part)! After all, we each have our bold moves and epic stories relating to our Jaguars. That is how I have three XJ sedans parked at my house, and all of them are mine!

Congrats on your new XJS. Someday I hope to own one of those too!

Haha thanks! SleekJag12! I plan on sticking with this ride for a long time so story is far from over. Three XJs?! Impressive.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by RagJag
BadKat,
I do hope you keep the V-12. Not so many left now in running order. That engine is the only claim to fame the car has. With a Chevy engine it may be more dependable but opening the bonnet will not be nearly as interesting.
Cheers, RagJag
From my limited mechanical knowledge of Jags, the engine on this one seemed like it was in pretty good condition. If it is, I plan on keeping it.

In the meantime I'll be saving money in case it's not dependable enough to where I'd need to switch the engine.

I heard a decent running V12 engine can fetch a good amount of cash. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Spikepaga
Welcome, enjoyed your story. Nice car too. Glad it did not set on fire. Other people with the FF14 have had that happen. Buy an extinguisher ASAP.

In spite of your problems with the car, I do not see the point in buying a V12 Jaguar and shoehorning a Chevy motor in, unless your car was saved from the scrapper, and even then, a V12 is very much a workable , fixable engine. Actually I can not believe that a mechanic who works on modern Jaguar engines , which are actually much more difficult to work on than a V12, would make such a lame comment. They are not "difficult and expensive" to work on. They do however require a lot of pre-emptive attention.
Thanks for taking the time to read it. I actually stopped at an Autozone on the way out of Michigan and bought a fire extinguisher. Didn't add it to the story line since I didn't think it wasn't that interesting lol

So that FF14 engine light may be more than just the catalytic convertor? I hope not. Mechanic stated that the engine seemed fine.

So you're saying I shouldn't be afraid of maintaining this engine? You sure it's not expensive to up keep? What can a typical tuneup cost?

I can't remember correctly but he mentioned that spark plugs, hoses...etc were all like $1K to replace. I can't remember what he was referring to but he made it seem like a routine maintenance was costly.

I already knew that when buying this car, I would be facing a lot of upfront costs to maintain her and bring her up to speed but I also told myself that if it gave me too many problems that I'd just switch the engine out.

As long as the engine is dependable with routine maintenance, I don't mind keeping the V12.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:35 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,510 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by BadKat174
I heard a decent running V12 engine can fetch a good amount of cash. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Depends on what you deem "good amount of cash". Usually if you can find someone to take it off your hands for free, you got a good deal.

There are 5.3L V12s up for sale all the time. The 6.0's might be different.

By expensive to maintain, I think it references the amont of work spent to get to the different parts. If you can do your own work, the V12 probably isn't that much more than any other car, but from what I understand, you are constantly removing three parts to get to the one you need. Labor at any garage is expensive.

People here have removed the cruise control and air conditioning to simplify access into the engine bay. You're going to need that AC in NYC, I would imagine.

Old 08-13-2013, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Vee
Depends on what you deem "good amount of cash". Usually if you can find someone to take it off your hands for free, you got a good deal.

There are 5.3L V12s up for sale all the time. The 6.0's might be different.

By expensive to maintain, I think it references the amont of work spent to get to the different parts. If you can do your own work, the V12 probably isn't that much more than any other car, but from what I understand, you are constantly removing three parts to get to the one you need. Labor at any garage is expensive.

People here have removed the cruise control and air conditioning to simplify access into the engine bay. You're going to need that AC in NYC, I would imagine.

Driving in NYC without AC would be suicide. lol

I definitely can't do the work on my own but luckily have already received what seem like so good recommendations for affordable local mechanics in the area from a few forum members that read my post.

I wouldn't remind removing the Cruise control though. Thanks for that tip. Will keep that in mind when I choose a mechanic.

Old 08-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Congrat's on the XJS.

I know that you have already purchased, but we do have an excellent buyers guide which will point you down the road for some maintenance hints/tips.

Check this How To section. You will also find all sorts of other goodies there, and even more if you follow the Download link in my signature.

All downloads are FREE around here.

JimC64 (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Translator
Congrat's on the XJS.

I know that you have already purchased, but we do have an excellent buyers guide which will point you down the road for some maintenance hints/tips.

Check this How To section. You will also find all sorts of other goodies there, and even more if you follow the Download link in my signature.

All downloads are FREE around here.

Thanks Richard. Appreciate the link. I'll take a look. If it's FREE it's for ME!