Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum

Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/)
-   XJS ( X27 ) (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/)
-   -   Finally crawled under the Jag... (https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/xjs-x27-32/finally-crawled-under-jag-177609/)

Nostrildamus 03-02-2017 12:00 PM

Finally crawled under the Jag...

So, I've finally managed to have a good crawl under the Jag. I wanted to check for rust (there's bound to be some somewhere, right?) and check the brakes. Having put new rubber on (I went for Falkens in the end - very pleased), I needed to know she was safe to ride. Well, I did find a wee bit of flaky metal around one of the trailing arm mounts. Not bad but will need some new metal in. Otherwise, seems sound. Now that could've been a lot worse. So onto the brakes. Fronts great - decent discs and meaty pads on the front, even wear. Good. But the rears... Yes, thinner than Zola Bud after a bout of dissentry. So, how hard is this rear brake replacement thing then? Or if I get it done, am I looking mega bucks? Humble thanks again, gents.

Greg in France 03-02-2017 12:11 PM

Model, Year, Engine? Add to signature?

Nostrildamus 03-02-2017 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Greg in France (Post 1631113)
Model, Year, Engine? Add to signature?

Strange, Greg (in France), my signature info pops up in my posts - will double check I've done it - shall we blame Brexit?

She's a 1989 V12HE, Marelli...

orangeblossom 03-02-2017 12:15 PM

Hi Nostrildamus

If you want to replace the Rear Brake pads, then that is very easy.

But if you want to replace The rear Brake Discs, then you will have to drop the IRS.

So it would be best to do that before you fix the Trailing arm mounts.

While you have got the IRS out, it might be worth considering fitting new rear Calipers, as this is not the sort of job that you may ever want to do twice.

What were the Falken Tyres you got and what size were they, as I've got to get some myself.

Nostrildamus 03-02-2017 12:29 PM

Hi OB, thanks for the input. The pads will do for now - discs have enough meat. I guess the whole subframe drop is covered on here somewhere? I'm up for getting the pads, which I'll need anyway and see if they bad in nicely, otherwise we're in for the drop.

Yeah, I got the Falken ZE914, 225/60x15s for £360 fitted all 4. Apparently a better tyre than the Pirelli... They look right and feel pretty good to me - you like em?

orangeblossom 03-02-2017 12:53 PM

Hi Nostrildamus

Get the Pads off ebay,

I got some off a Motor Factor which I bought On-Line and when I found they weren't the ones I ordered they were a Nightmare to send back, their

returns department wouldn't answer the phone.

At least on ebay you don't have a problem getting your money back if they turn out to be not what you ordered.

Don't know about the Falken Tyres, I've never used them myself but mine are Pirelli P600 235/60/ 15.

BTW. If you are fitting New Rear Brake Pads, its worthwhile getting a New Fitting Kit, as you may see why when trying to get the Old Pins out.

Nostrildamus 03-02-2017 01:19 PM

Found out about the Falkens on here Tyre types and sizes for the XJS and XJ saloons - XJS & XJ from KWE Cars They do look more of a performance tyre than the P600...

orangeblossom 03-02-2017 01:39 PM

Hi Nostrildamus

I've never seen Falkens in the Flesh or even read about them from KWE.

Research is never a waste of time, so I will check them out.

Dave1109971 03-02-2017 06:55 PM

Dropping the cage and doing the rear is not that hard I did it on mine and I have no mechanical skills (had to buy tools before I started) and as long as you go slow and steady don't rush and use this site to research plus Kirby's book you'll be fine. I blogged my effort on this forum if you search the forum you'll find it.

cheers

baxtor 03-02-2017 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nostrildamus (Post 1631114)
Strange, Greg (in France), my signature info pops up in my posts - will double check I've done it - shall we blame Brexit?

More likely need to blame your phone (or rather the mobile version of the forum). If posting from phone signature seems to go missing, l know mine does.

Paul_59 03-03-2017 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom (Post 1631171)
Hi Nostrildamus

I've never seen Falkens in the Flesh or even read about them from KWE.

Research is never a waste of time, so I will check them out.

KWE do seem to favour Falken, whilst I have never used them I can't remember hearing them spoken of in glowing terms as a tyre for high performance cars, indeed I've never heard of them been mentioned in a performance tyre context. Indeed in a recent tyre performance test the FK510 came in at number seven, out of nine makes tested.

Pirrelli have had a performance tyre reputation for decades, although I would agree the P600 is now well past it's sell by date, Michelin Pilot sport series have an excellent reputation, although they aren't inexpensive.

​​​​​​​Continental ContiSportContact 5 have a good reputation as a performance tyre
Goodyear Eagle Asymmetric 3 also are highly rated

Dunlop SP Sport Maxx RT2 again highly rated

Tyre test 2016: results by category | Tyre reviews: best car tyres 2016/2017 | Auto Express

Nostrildamus 03-03-2017 08:41 AM

Well, let's see how she rolls with the Falkens... Meanwhile, took a second look at the rear discs and I'm happy to report they look absolutely fine - nice n fat on both sides so it looks like a pad replacement will keep me happy for now - do I need to open bleed nipples when I push the caliper pistons back or is that just the fronts? Thanks again...

orangeblossom 03-03-2017 10:14 AM

Hi Nos (Lol)

Yeah! definitely open the Bleed Nipples on the Rears as well and do one Caliper at a time.

Starting with the one furthest away from the Master Cylinder Actuator, which on a (UK Car) would be:

(1) Rear Passenger Side.

(2) Rear Drivers Side.

(3) Front Passenger Side.

(4) Front Drivers Side.

Freeing off the Bleed Nipples also makes it easier when it comes to Bleeding the Air Out.

Did I ever give you the Special Procedure to Bleed them? (I seem to think I might have?)

Nostrildamus 03-03-2017 11:41 AM

Thanks OB, and yes you kindly shared the 'Special Procedure' already. Bound to save me a world of pain. Will report back...

orangeblossom 03-03-2017 01:22 PM

Hi Nos

Just don't let the Reservoir run out of Brake Fluid while you are Bleeding the Brakes, or you will have to Bleed the Low Pressure Side.

Which in turn can then lead to Self Harming!

orangeblossom 03-03-2017 01:40 PM

Hi Paul_59

Its all coming back to me now as in the dim and distant past, I remember reading that very same Review and agree with the points that you made.

As I've never used Falken it all a bit hypothetical, at least until we hopefully get a hands on Review from 'Nostrildamus'

I've always used P600 235 X 60 X 15 and as they seem to stick to the road like 'Sugar to a Blanket' I'm just a bit reluctant to experiment.

I've also heard 'General Grabber' are good but don't like the idea of 'White Lettering' as I want to stay away from 'The Muscle Car Look'

And don't want to go up a Rim Size, where the 'World's your Oyster' with your choice of Tyres.

Nostrildamus 03-03-2017 06:38 PM

Falkens less squidgy than the p600s. And that's a technical term.

Doug 03-03-2017 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by Paul_59 (Post 1631509)
KWE do seem to favour Falken, whilst I have never used them I can't remember hearing them spoken of in glowing terms as a tyre for high performance cars, indeed I've never heard of them been mentioned in a performance tyre context. Indeed in a recent tyre performance test the FK510 came in at number seven, out of nine makes tested.

Here in the 'States, at least, Falken is on the lower end of the price scale but generally seem to get good reviews. They offer several performance-oriented models with high speed ratings and load ratings, etc. Even some "Summer only" performance tires.

Unfortunately not many choices at all in 15" sizes appropriate for our old Jags. This is the norm nowadays

I just put a set on my Series III but just haven't driven it enough to really judge how they perform

https://simpletire.com/falken-215-65...FVBhfgoddtcNBg

The off-brand tires are becoming increasingly popular these days. Speaking broadly I think people are finding that, as often as not, higher price doesn't guarantee a happier result. Or only a small increase in happiness versus a huge increase in price.

Cheers
DD

Doug 03-03-2017 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by orangeblossom (Post 1631779)
I've always used P600 235 X 60 X 15 and as they seem to stick to the road like 'Sugar to a Blanket' I'm just a bit reluctant to experiment.

I don't blame you but they're just too expensive for me at $300 each...and such a low treadlife rating!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/p...4400/overview/

I've also heard 'General Grabber' are good but don't like the idea of 'White Lettering' as I want to stay away from 'The Muscle Car Look'

Good thinking!

And don't want to go up a Rim Size, where the 'World's your Oyster' with your choice of Tyres.
I would've preferred going to a 16" wheel but I found some 15x6.5 lattice/sports alloys for an absolute bargain price so I snapped 'em up....even though I knew theat I'd be faced with tire choice problems. Sixteens might still be in my future....have to wait 'n' see.

Cheers
DD

orangeblossom 03-04-2017 05:21 AM

Originally Posted by Nostrildamus (Post 1631960)
Falkens less squidgy than the p600s. And that's a technical term.

Hi Nos

I think that it may be the Squidginess of the P600 that makes them Stick to the Road, where a harder Compound Tyre might slide.

But on the Plus side yours are so Cheap, that you could replace them every year just for the hell of it.

Everything that Doug has said is Bang On, in my Book.

But a hands on Review by your 'Good Self' would make interesting reading.:icon_emm: