XJS ( X27 ) 1975 - 1996 3.6 4.0 5.3 6.0

first start up today with my belt driven intake.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 179 Likes on 142 Posts

after thinking about it for a bit after i posted my last post last night and browsing the internet looking at different accelerator pump tuning kits, i decided to just bite the bullet and order a Holley quick fuel brawler 4150 double pumper. i know the double pumper is going to be a better carb for the application. i really don't think ill be able to get a long enough duration pump shot out of the primary's to get me threw the secondary's opening up. im going to be putting together another sbc for another project in the near future and ill need a carb for that project so my current one wont go to waste.

Holley sells a supercharger specific version of the 4150 but they are double the price and not available (that i could find) in a electric choke model. the modification to create a external port to reference the power-valve from below the supercharger is pretty simple and basically free. so that is the route ill be going.

Old 10-31-2018, 12:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezrider
after thinking about it for a bit after i posted my last post last night and browsing the internet looking at different accelerator pump tuning kits, i decided to just bite the bullet and order a Holley quick fuel brawler 4150 double pumper. i know the double pumper is going to be a better carb for the application.
Very sensible. It would be a pity to spoil a fun car with fuelling you really knew was not right on the money.

Old 11-14-2018, 05:48 PM

i got my double pumper installed a couple weeks ago, did make a video on modifying/setting up a standard 4150 double pumper for a supercharged application if anyone was interested. it did cure my fueling problem. unfortunately weather has certainly been more winter like witch will certainly limit my opportunity to be able to drive the car for a while.

hoping to start on bracing my rear sub frame here soon. h have done a little bit of looking at it and im thinking i am going to use my existing x brace and add onto it to tie the bottom of the rear sub frame to the x brace. being that the force is going to be in a push-pull im not thinking building a more substantial x brace is really going to be necessary, i might change my mind once i get started on it but that is the direction im leaning right now.

The following 2 users liked this post by Ezrider:
enderle (11-16-2018), Fla Steve (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:58 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts

You know your **** dude..haha. So is your tach accurately showing the true RPM? 8K+ ?

Last edited by Fla Steve; 11-14-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
You know your **** dude..haha. So is your tach accurately showing the true RPM? 8K+ ?
thanks lol

no the tach is still calibrated for a 6cyl its on my list of things i still need to make right, its good enough for reference when your used to it you just know its off by roughly 25% probably a little more than that as the tach read more than actual when it still had the original engine. of course once the hits 7k = 5200 real rpm you kinda loose your reference and its a 6k rpm engine. so its just by ear after that...lol iv got a rev limiter in the msd ignition box so i cant accidentally over rev it. basically when the needle hits on the gauge cluster your right about 6k and its time to shift if you push it any more your hit the rev limiter....lol oil pressure is not accurate ether its off the scale but does still indicate that you do have oil pressure. all the other gauges are correct.

Last edited by Ezrider; 11-14-2018 at 10:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Fla Steve (11-15-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:08 PM

msd plug wires
made a custom set of plug wires for it today, msd 8.5mm plug wires cut to length

i am actually pretty surprised no one has ever mentioned my mix matched set of garbage plug wires iv had on this thing. it hasn't had a matching set of plug wires sense about the first 50 miles after i put this engine in the car, i burned quite a few spark plug boots on the 2.5inch rams horns before i found the metal boot covers.

ronbros (11-17-2018)
Old 11-22-2018, 05:16 PM

a bit more tinkering on the car today. nothing big but just started cleaning up the engine bay a bit. the engine bay has always been a bit skummy (if thats even a word) back when i painted the car i didn't want to pull the engine to do the engine bay. and then when i had the engine out to do the swap i only had a few days to work on it and wanted it to move under its own power to be able to move it in and out of the shop by the end of those few days so i didn't end up painting the engine bay then i think i did knock the big stuff out with a preasure washer while the engine was out but didn't really spend much time cleaning or anything. the engine has always been clean as i rebuilt it before installing it in the car.

degreased the engine bay and scrubbed all the skum off, and started to do a little spray painting just small area's at a time taking things off or masking things off and using a bit of spray paint. once i work my way around the whole engine bay should look much nicer under the hood.

ronbros (11-22-2018)
Old 11-25-2018, 09:29 PM

finished painting under the hood, looks a heak of a lot better IMO, its not a perfect job by any means but it does make the engine bay look much nicer. it fish eyed a bit in spots and paint is a little glossy imo but the gloss should tone down a bit with a little age. probably going to do the under side of the hood here before too long as well.

Old 11-28-2018, 08:31 PM

I'm enjoying your build. I find it hilarious though that you have a convertible in Bismark ND. LOL and cheers from Florida.

Ezrider (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 12:09 AM

lol yeah iv never really been too much of a convertible person. big reason why i gravitated twards a convertible xjs wasn't so much to be able to put the top down i just like the lines of the convertible xjs better than the coupe. i think the more "notch back" look suites the rest of the car better than the flying buttress and it is nice to put the top down every now and then. we do get a lot of nice weather in the summer time up here.

i still like the coupes normally i would choose a coupe for tighter weather protection more ridged and lighter weight although i still think the coupes are good looking cars i think the extended roof line combined with the butresses going almost back to the tail lights give it a little less sporty look

my vision of a coupe xjs in a really bad 1 min photoshop...lol

Last edited by Ezrider; 11-29-2018 at 12:32 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:39 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,079 Likes on 5,347 Posts

Jaguar actually made a prototype of what you like!

https://www.aronline.co.uk/cars/jagu.../daimler-xj-s/

The following 2 users liked this post by Greg in France:
Ezrider (11-29-2018), Flint Ironstag (04-03-2019)
Old 11-29-2018, 02:35 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,576 Likes on 1,712 Posts

Arden also did a version which I think looks better than what Jaguar did. I do like the look..........

Greg in France (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 11:06 AM

that would have been pretty cool if it would have made it to production, i think they still could have incorperated a bit of a butress by making the rear window a bit more vertical. they could have also just made a 2 seater coupe. to make it work a little better, my xjs has the storage locker rather than a rear seat and really even if i had the rear seat they wouldn't be big enough for someone larger than a child.

when i was younger i had a number of datsun z cars when they were still affordable back then. to me the difference between the coupe and the convertible is kinda like a datsun z coupe vrs 2+2 i think the longer roof line just disrupts the flow of the look of the car.

ronbros (11-29-2018)
Old 11-29-2018, 08:35 PM

Yeah I like the Jag coupe prototype also, as well as the convert with top up.
The Cabriolet is close to the style you prefer. and you have the open top available.
The 260/280Z 2+2s were awkward, but the 300Z 2+2 carries it off better. I have a friend with one.
I painted it for him years ago, along with painting his 280 reg cab.
I really don't care for the E Type 2+2 coupes, but the SIII roadster is pretty.
The C5 Z06 hardtop looks as good or better than the glass hatch standard model...IMO.
I think everybody would pick a Fastback Mustang over a notchback though.

Last edited by Fla Steve; 11-29-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2018, 09:16 AM

couple updates on the project

installed a snow preformace water methonol injection kit
also found out how much my car weights by taking it to the cat scale at the truck stop.

for those that dont want to watch the video the car is...........

3720 lbs
with a weight distribution of
2020 front
1700 rear

Fla Steve (12-23-2018), ronbros (12-23-2018)
Old 12-23-2018, 10:24 PM

weather was pretty nice again today so i went ahead and swapped the #2 w/m nozzle (rated at 100 ml/min) out for a #5 (375 ml/min) previously had my pulleys set up for 4lbs of boost so i swapped to my 7lb combination left everything else the same from my last tune up for 91 octane and 4lbs of boost took it out for a test drive it ran great, but was a touch rich i figured increasing the boost would lean it out a bit and it did but not quite enough pulled one jet size out of the secondary's and that was about all it needed. it does creep a touch richer than id like to be between like 5000-6000 rpm at wide open could probably play with the air bleeds a bit to make that a little better but id rather have it creep rich vrs lean. really happy with how its running though even bumped a bit more timing in it and no signs of knock plug reads are looking great and its running very strong.

i think if i had not increased the boost at the same time i increased the w/m injection i probably would of had to pull a bit more jet out of it than i did, but the extra air flow demand will tend to lean it out a bit and the extra methanol injection enriched it a bit at the same time

got into it a bit as i was getting close to the shop on my last test run jumped out quick and put my hand on the blower case and it was very cold, before there was always still residual heat build up in the blower case shortly after some spirited driving, so id say its doing as it should. it would be interesting to setup a iat sensor in the manifold to see what the temps do when its spraying the methanol mixture.

rather impressed considering im on the exact same fuel i was experiencing some light knock on at 5 psi and 25* of total timing having to use a overly rich a/f ratio to control detonation, now running 30 degrees of total timing 7lbs of boost and no knock what so ever with a slightly leaner a/f ratio. all in all a pretty enjoyable few hours in the shop and playing with the jag today.

Fla Steve (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 06:51 PM

got my new driveshaft in today. the one that has been in the car was peiced together myself from the factory driveshaft and still had the rubber isolator in it. so i had a nice one piece driveshaft made using bigger solid non grease able u joints. the flange on the rear diff is in fact a sae flange so that helped out in getting into a common u joint size. then i also biult a driveshaft safety loop. out of some 1/4" thick steel.

Last edited by Ezrider; 12-28-2018 at 07:08 PM.
Greg in France (12-29-2018), ronbros (12-28-2018)
Old 12-28-2018, 09:50 PM

Can you show us your A/F ratio gauge, what brand, and tell us where you mounted the probe?

Old 12-28-2018, 11:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,142 Likes on 667 Posts

Hey EZ I just stumbled on your buildup. I don't know how I missed it ???? Nice job, you took the easy road with a SBC. I went with the Ford, I mean with a last name of Shelby, c'mon using a Chevy would be sacrilege. LOL. I'm still working on mine as you've have noticed, and hope to get to the point you are someday. It looks good, other then the carb out the hood. Kind of a dead give away, that somethings up? Oh, I love the burnouts. Have you ever figured out the gas mileage? Nice Job Man.

Jack

Ezrider (12-29-2018)
Old 12-29-2018, 12:43 AM

yeah ill snap a few pictures of my a/f ratio gauge setup tomorrow and post them.

thanks jacobra. yeah the sbc chevy defiantly went in easier than your ford engine is...lol from the time i cracked the first bolt on removing the jaguar engine till the first time it moved under its own power with the chevy engine only took a few days. but i did spend some time figuring things out and collecting some parts ahead of time. i mostly went chevy for a couple reasons the first reason is i happened to have a good 4 bolt main 1pc rear seal factory roller cam block laying around when i decided to do a engine swap on my jag. the second reason why i went Chevy was speed parts are relatively cheap and plentiful for the sbc. i figured if i was going to do a engine swap there was no way i would do it unless i was looking to more the double the horsepower.

im ok with the carb sticking threw the hood it looks a lot better in person, it looks a little silly in pictures. when i first put the car together i had the plan of adding the blower but didn't have a blower laying around nor the cash laying around to go buy one so i ended up running it on dual plane intake for about 2 years the engine combo made basically 400 hp in that trim and it was all under the hood, i really kinda grew to like that although any car guy would pickup on the exhaust note of a modified sbc anyway. i almost changed my mind and went turbo to try to keep it all tucked away under the hood. but in the end my vision included the instant throttle response and brutal torque curve you can only get from a positive displacement supercharger.

sense the 1/8th mile 70mph burnout clip was recorded earlier in this thread its running a lot better now, that was only the first day i had the tune up close enough on the supercharged setup to be able to give her some hell, but its running way cleaner and crisper with better power now than when that was recorded. i don't really have a good mpg figure with the blower, honestly the majority of the miles iv put on it with the blower i was running a overly rich a/f ratio for various reasons, now with the 4150 double pumper and the water methonol injection to cool intake air temps and being able to lean it back out some it should be better. it was bad enough before i knew i didn't want to check it, not that it really matters as its a play toy and not a daily driver but i did find myself stopping for fuel quite a bit. in the normally aspirated 400hp stage i was getting 16-17mpg on the highway and 12-13 mixed driving.

i spent most my day yesterday in the skid steer pushing 8" of snow so it will probably be a little while till the roads are clean enough again to be able to take the car out for a drive again. the good thing about that is its a great opportunity to put it up on jackstands for a bit and get some more little details knocked out. id like to say some day ill eventually be done but probably not, probably by the time its done it will evolve...lol

89 Jacobra (12-29-2018)

Quick Reply: first start up today with my belt driven intake.